Don Cowie

nak108

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like we are going to be signing him soon then for a nominal fee.

I saw the last 20 mins of ICT vs Celtic from October on Setanta yesterday so I kept an eye on how Cowie did but it was hard to judge with amount of time left in the game but he seemed play a sort of play-maker role, his passing looked good as did his crossing but he did come across a little bit lazy, would that just be a case of him wanting to leave and not really having any passion for the club?

What would you say is his best position?

Don Cowie certainly isn't lazy. I remember a discussion with the Fitness Coach who worked for Brew at ICt & United when he named DC as one, if not theee, fittest player he had worked with.

He will run all day for the cause, though his enthusiasm did seem to drop when things werent going well lately.

Best Position = In the hole just behind the striker(s), makes great runs, and his vision to pick out a pass is decent

Edited by FourFourTwo

He had a great game against Celtic - was it about 18mths ago? We were 0-2 down at half time, and came storming back in the second half to win by 3-2. Cowie scored a great goal in that game. Was it Proctor and a Niculae (pen) that got the other two?

Hope we get something special from him on Sunday....

Edited by Johnboy

He was very good on the right side of midfield last season. But this year, as Brewster fiddled his way to the bottom of the league, Cowie's been playing on the left a lot, sometimes off the striker, sometimes centre midfield, and has generally beeen less effective. Some people have questioned his committment but i think he's just been p1ssed off with not knowing where he's going to be playing from one week to the next.

I'm sorry to see him go. He's one the few players we have with genuine quality and will be missed.

Rankin scored the penalty just before half time, Proctor and Cowie scored second half then Proc got sent off.

Exciting game that one.

Cowie should do well if he is motivated enough.

Guest Brentfordfan

Watford are going down, must be a money thing. They're flat broke but I presume their wages are more. What sort of weekly wage do your guys get?

Seems like we are going to be signing him soon then for a nominal fee.

I saw the last 20 mins of ICT vs Celtic from October on Setanta yesterday so I kept an eye on how Cowie did but it was hard to judge with amount of time left in the game but he seemed play a sort of play-maker role, his passing looked good as did his crossing but he did come across a little bit lazy, would that just be a case of him wanting to leave and not really having any passion for the club?

If you want my opinion, Cowie is no where near good enough for the Championship. He is an all action type of player, with medium to good technical ability. He has not playded consistently well since this time last year, despite looking ridiculously good during his first 6 months. He also frequently let his head drop, the unprofessional way he used refuse to pass to Niculae due to the two not being best of friends an example of this.

Good luck to him, but he is nowhere near as big a miss as some seem to think.

Btw, he can play either wide right or through the middle.

Guest Caleylass

Hello Watford fan in peace here and was wondering about Don Cowie. He has apparently just signed a pre-contract with us and will join in the summer.

Any info on him? what position? what type of player? hard-worker? etc.

Thanks

nak108

It was mentioned in the scottish sun yesterday that Watford were interested in him, and then today they have confirmed he has signed a pre contract.

Guest Caleylass

i have to say, never saw him signing for an english club always thought he was going to go to the central belt

I was surprised too, cos that was the talk down here in the central belt.......

Guest Superhorns

Watford are going down, must be a money thing. They're flat broke but I presume their wages are more. What sort of weekly wage do your guys get?

We'll be losing a few players (even more so if we do go down) so that covers his wages for example.

Seems like a mixed respone from some of you...well ofcourse us fans down here will have to give him a chance.

So long as the lad looks like he is making an effort and playing a role in the side we don't expect too much.

Edited by Superhorns

It's amazingly easy to age the forum users on football sites these days.....

U20 - Football Manager is the source of all football knowledge.

20-30 - Wikipedia is the source of all football knowledge.

Over 30 - Sources generally have a bit of substance and people are able to draw own opinion.

Sorry to disagree with the salary 'guestimates' above, but ?1200 per month is much less than Don will have been paid with Inverness CT this season.

A BBC Radio5 report on wages in the Football League Championship 2 seasons ago were said to average out at ?100,000.

In today's terms, with Sky Sports still contributing a large pot of money into the League, this "average" will have risen above that figure. If Don's agent knows his stuff, then with interest from the likes of Rangers on record, he should be able to negotiate even better terms than these!