ROBBING ARABS

Could be GOOD news both on and off the park as Judas splashes out even more of the Butchers' spondoolachs

21 June 2006 - Daily Retard

MY ARABS SWITCH TAKES HEAT OFF LEE - DUNDEE UNITED SWOOP

Robb ready for flak after ditching Dens for rivals

By Euan Mc Arthur

STEVEN ROBB last night completed his cross-city move to Dundee United -and believes it will ease the pressure on close pal Lee Mair.

Robb followed in the footsteps of ex-Dundee team-mate Mair by signing a two-year deal to join Craig Brewster's new-look United on a free transfer.

The 24-year-old, a lifelong United fan, will join forces again with Mair who signed for the Arabs amid a blaze of controversy last year.

And he reckons he's done his mate a huge favour swapping Dens for Tannadice as the former Dark Blues pair look to lead United into a bold new era next season.

Robb said: "Lee was one of the first to text me to say congratulations. We had a wee laugh that it would take the heat off him a little bit.

"Hopefully the fans will understand too. It's now just a case of me proving to them that I can work hard to do the business on the park.

"Obviously, it took a lot of thought and I spoke to my family about it all. But in the end the main factor was that Dundee United play in the SPL and it's a career decision.

"I've been at Dundee since I was 15 and it wasn't the way I wanted to leave so that's what saddened me most."

Brewster finally got his man after narrowly missing out on Robb over a year ago when the then-Inverness gaffer tried to lure him north. Robb opted to stay put but couldn't knock back Brew a second time.

He said: "I've known Craig since he played for United. When a manager wants to take you to the second club he's been at it's always a big bonus."

Robb was paraded at Tannadice with ex-Dunfermline striker Noel Hunt and winger Craig Conway from Ayr who both signed three-year deals.

Now Hunt can't wait to experience Brew's gruelling pre-season regime.

He said: "I'm here basically because I want to work with Craig. Everyone knows how big on fitness the coaching team here are."