Pub At Bottom Of Stephens Brae ?

Was having a wee reminiscence chat with ma uncle and started talking about the old haunts - Now I can recall the Albert Hotel (pre Hay Loft) and the wee Loch Gorm but what was the pub at the bottom of Stephens Brae called ?

My fave used to be the Royal Ordnance or the back bar at the Muirton - get ma brain cells going and remind me of the pub crawl of the 70's.

Pretty sure the Plough was there even in my day. I remember in my last year at the Academy, we had a free period first thing on a Friday afternoon. That gave us loads of time in the lunch break to get into Eddie's Billiard Hall (below Burton's in the High Street) for a game, followed by a quick lemonade(!) in the Plough on the way back.

Pretty sure the Plough was there even in my day. I remember in my last year at the Academy, we had a free period first thing on a Friday afternoon. That gave us loads of time in the lunch break to get into Eddie's Billiard Hall (below Burton's in the High Street) for a game, followed by a quick lemonade(!) in the Plough on the way back.

I am sure it was The Plough, I remember the billiard hall I seem to remember it being run by George, perhaps Eddies son? I think his surname was Follen

It definately was the Plough. at the corner of Eastgate and Stephen's Brae on the left hand side as you climb the Brae.

George Follen was Eddie Follen's son. George ran the billiard hall when Eddie's health deteriorated, I remember him having severe respitary problems. The Follen family originally hailed from Cameron Road/Square.

George did indeed work at the swimming baths, many moons ago he also had a part time job delivering morning rolls for one of the local bakers, I used to see him when I was on my paper round!

George's Father in law was Dusty Miller, I'm sure some of our users will remember Dusty as one of the cooks at the old Boys Brigade camps in Carrbridge.

George is still doing well, he and his wife Jean live in Laggan Road.

My 'home from home' was the Crown Bar, this was across the road from the Plough - well not quite it was across from the Highland chip shop.

Mine Host was George McKay, a big man that ran a super pub aided by Alex Smith who lived at the top of Bruce Gardens (in the circle opposite the back entrance to the cemetery), Starched aprons were the order of the day and you were invited to go home when they judged the punter had too much to drink or in some cases 'you have a wife and kids to feed, get home now!'

Opposite the Plough was (now this is a memory!) a tea room with plastic(wrexine?) covers on the tables, catering for the farming fraternity. Broth to stand the spoon in and scones like grannies made.

I hope my memory is correct but it was a long time ago!

George's Father in law was Dusty Miller, I'm sure some of our users will remember Dusty as one of the cooks at the old Boys Brigade camps in Carrbridge.

Aka Hugh Miller. He was the big, quite rotund bald one while I think the other cook was called Rod Sommerville. They both slept in that bell tent right beside the cookhouse and weren't averse to the odd bevvy of a night in Carrbridge.

My fave used to be the Royal Ordnance or the back bar at the Muirton - get ma brain cells going and remind me of the pub crawl of the 70's.

IHE - which bar at the Muirtown - Canuck remembers me from there - maybe you will too! Eventually - when the mist clears!

Door on the left for the public, door on the right for the Bothan and door in the middle for either of them (+ reception) ..... this was my haunt too.

post-2-1234466240.jpg

I was staying at Kinmylies at the time and the Bothan was a regular pit stop - When we worked up the Craig it was really a choice of the Royal Ordnance or the Muirtown. Lizi - there were so many gorgeous burds in those days - what else made you stand out ? :rotflmao:

• 3 weeks later...

Was having a wee reminiscence chat with ma uncle and started talking about the old haunts - Now I can recall the Albert Hotel (pre Hay Loft) and the wee Loch Gorm but what was the pub at the bottom of Stephens Brae called ?

Splitting hairs but hay loft separate building from albert. it was demolished -too much booze taken by you young man! ord was pub with walter and helen grant -

Splitting hairs but hay loft separate building from albert. it was demolished -too much booze taken by you young man! ord was pub with walter and helen grant -

Many a good night and many pounds spent in the Ord - great memories. Unfortunately Walter and Ellen no longer with us but probably still partaking in their new venture. :rotflmao:

the wee Loch Gorm

One of my earlier illicit pints (before a school dance) was the "The Gorm" in the summer of 1970. As someone who had only preiously purchased at 3/3d in the Loch Ness Hotel, I didn't know whether to be more taken aback by the unbelievable price (even in these days) of 2/4d for lager and lime or by the sawdust on the floor. For the benefit of the post 1971 generation, 2/4d is just less than 12p.

the wee Loch Gorm

One of my earlier illicit pints (before a school dance) was the "The Gorm" in the summer of 1970. As someone who had only preiously purchased at 3/3d in the Loch Ness Hotel, I didn't know whether to be more taken aback by the unbelievable price (even in these days) of 2/4d for lager and lime or by the sawdust on the floor. For the benefit of the post 1971 generation, 2/4d is just less than 12p.

Aye Charles the good old days when a gallon of lager was under a ? and the Caley ballroom at 10/-. A great night out for ?1.50 new money. I also used to visit the back bar in the Gellions after footie where a pint of light was under 2 bob - Oh take me back to the old days - the old days in Inver-sneckie la la la :rotflmao:

Edited by caleyboy

Many a good night and many pounds spent in the Ord - great memories. Unfortunately Walter and Ellen no longer with us but probably still partaking in their new venture. :rotflmao:

Walter and Ellen were great publicans - Were you ever involved in the Pool Nights - now that could get serious !!

• 3 weeks later...

In the mid to late 80's Cheers bar was at the bottom of Stephens Brae.. Next to the aptly named rumbles, the local late night boxing/fast food outlet..

Still remember winning on the National with Little Polviere in 89ish and watching it in there.

Edited by CaleyHE