Mobile Phones - Pay As You Go

luvgravy

I'm going to be in Scotland for 3 weeks mid summer and I'm looking for opinions on which carrier would be best to go with for a Pay as You go type plan. I'd also need to purchase a SIM too. Any carriers better for certain parts of the countryside then others?

Bought a pay as you go mobile at Christmas for somebody from the Carphone Warehouse and it was 20 quid. Ten pounds for the phone and ten pounds of credit for the sim card which was on Orange. Pretty cheap and cheerful especially if you are staying short term.

Don't know the best network to have for rural areas of countryside though. The main networks are O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile so I would imagine it would be one of them that you would need.

I got my o2 sim free from their own website and it's okay I get free same network texts and calls if I top up 15 pounds a month.

Texts to other networks are ten pence and phone calls for the first 3 minutes are more expensive but cheap after that.

Hope that is of some help. I am happy with the deal I get from my phone as I mainly call and text o2 numbers but there may be better deals out there for sims that involve making frequent calls etc.

I think Orange might have a good deal for pay as you go sim cards at the moment.

I have used Vodafone for a few years as it seemed to have the best coverage of the Highlands. However Orange seems to have taken over a bit in the islands.

If you go on their websites they all have coverage maps.

Texts to other networks are ten pence and phone calls for the first 3 minutes are more expensive but cheap after that.

isnt that only the first 3 minutes of calls on any day...then cheap...rather than the first 3 mins of EVERY call?

isnt that only the first 3 minutes of calls on any day...then cheap...rather than the first 3 mins of EVERY call?

Yeah sorry thats what I was meaning. Thanks for pointing that out didn't explain that well at all.