The Club At The Raining Stairs

latviaman

Does anyone remember the club at the top of the Raining stairs, I remember girls from the Isles stayed there .

also there was a hall attahed where there were dances where the wildcats played as well as the flock and accidents.

I remember if you were very canny , as you approached the raining stairs, after a night's jigging, did a dodgy sharp right you could find yourself upstairs in the forbidden zone, ie the girls quarters, dementia gone but I do remember those days with great affection

• 2 weeks later...

During the 1950's, it held Rock 'n' Roll dances on Saturday nights and was known as the 50/50 Club.

Names like Donnie Fridge, Kanses, Mildred et al strutted their R & R stuff there. Drainpipe trousers, DA haircuts, long, almost kneelength, jackets.

It was a long time after that before Harry Shore, in the Caley Ballroom, allowed a wee bit R & R in the areas at the side of his band (away from respectable dancers like Jackie Packer and his sister)

For me, following the likes of Bobbie McLeod and his Band, it was off to Drumnadrochit, Kiltarlity, Strathpeffer and sometimes Culloden Hall.

Nairn or Tradespark was not even on the Tuchter circuit, too modern.

The week was - Thursday, Meeting Rooms(Ted Heath Band -Lita Rosa/ Dickie Valentine, singers) - Friday, Teuchter circuit(following the, unchaperoned,West Coast nurses) - Saturday, Caley Ballroom and dependant on luck, last hour in the Meeting Rooms(Wee Willie Harris upstair/Bobby McLeodish band/nurses downstair)

The rest of the week?? Build up strength for the next Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

The town was full of soldiers with the Cameron Barracks and Fort George filled to capacity, with Irishmen working at the Hydro Dams and I don't remember many fights taking place or this modern childish thing of throwing up after a pint!( to quote my Dad 'Can't hold their drink'! and that was after a pint ... of spirits!)

Wonderful Memories!!