Sheffield United Will Pump Us

RiG

As the Jeggie succinctly pointed out..it was only a feckin testimonial and Rosscoe picked the feckin team. Rankin only got in cos he cant play against his old caravan dwelling brethren. It was interesting that the three major missing personnel are in contract disputes. Will they all play today?

I thought Rosscoe picked the team, why would he be bothered about contract disputes?

Re the half time entertainment, Billy Urquhart can still stick them away...............Denzil, watch yer contract.

:015:biggest cheer of the night had to be when Grassa disposessed Brewster in the first tackle of the fives :clapping04:

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Blades had about the same amount of fans as Motherwell & Killie, maybe around 100. I don't like being critical of players in these type of games, with the opposition probably being about as good as we will face all year and half our team not playing.............but, we need to start scoring against the better teams. Bayne did miss a sitter, as did Barry (penalty), Rossco slightly more difficult first timer from a Robson corner, we also hit the bar at the far end, and Bayne seemed to miss a heading opportunity as well at the far end. However, don't kid yourselves and think we could have drawn or beaten them.............we were well beaten as they sliced us open time and time again and remember, they also altered their side. But, it was a testimonial, (keep saying to yourself), and lets get down to the real stuff, the sooner the better.

Ok then kencar, i'll cut to the quick.............Rankin was pish.............but I know he can produce better. .it is difficult to judge performances based on a few pre-season friendlies, but the ones I have witnessed, Denzil is the biggest sinner, followed by ..................no one...............Denzil take note, your displays have been dire, and that is a great pity because I believe you have the talent to do well in this league.......so. whatever is restricting you, get fekkin stuck in.......or ta ta

MacAllister has been another poor performer if you want to base judgement on them in a friendly. Rankin was okay against Peterhead. Got from box to box well and played some nice passes but didn't really excel.

....oh and one other point.....

Where has Russell Duncan been on holiday?????? :003: :003: :003:......I didn't recognise him he's looking like Jimmy Calderwood only darker!!!! :001: :001: :001: :001:

Erm - Italy with the rest of the squad - did you not see Keogh and Hart as well who also look like Calderwoods biatches! :lol:

I thought we looked much better after Keogh came on, shame he hadn't been on from the start. And we missed Dods, Blackie and Dargo. Oh well  :007:

I've been impressed with Keogh in pre season. I think he might warrant a starting slot in the team against Mirren as we would need him to boss the midfield.

I must say though overall that is suprising how negative some people are over this result. It was only a friendly and while I started this thread to point out the arrogance of this Sheffield Yinited fan make no bones about it they are a **** good team, have crowds 4 times the size of us, a huge wage and transfer budget by comparison.

What was the crowd?

A game of chances missed I'm afraid, was it 4 chances in the first half ( two off post and one off bar ) ?. We murdered them 0-1 in the first half...the second half was pointless for us, at least Sheffield got a bit of fitness work as they ran rings around us which considering half Rossco's team were guests I didn't expect much fluidity or understanding between them and the ICT guys.

Half-time entertainment was priceless and unfortunately everything after that was an anti-climax. JR - what a fat b@st@rd - did he used to play football or something???

Another thing - was Hislop trying to prove a point out there? He was running around like a daftie clipping defenders ankles after he came on....didn't go down well with the Blades captain , and I thought he could've injured someone the way he ws carrying on.

Ok, my two cents.

Rankin i was actually impressed with. Everytime the ball was played to an attacker, he was bombing forward to offer support. Can youi actually remember a time he gave the ball away? didn't think so. He'll come good for us this season, maybe in a wide left position though.

McBain: Usually i'm not a big fan of his performances, but tonight he impressed me. If only he had blinding pace, he'd be unstoppable.

Bayne: Another i'm not a fan of, but i think he could be the man to replace denzil (who was poor again) up front with Dargo. Unlucky with the header off the post, dreadful miss with the one on one, but did well to get into that position. Never stops trying.

Ritchie: did very well in my opinion, and maybe deserves that right midfield slot more than barry...

Yip have to agree thought Rankin was one of our better players, he certainly looked lively whenever he got the ball.  Bayne needs to ask himself how much he wants to stay at an SPL club because currently he must be very close to being out the door.  I personally think that McCaffery was one the poorest players last night.... I don't think I saw him make one decent challenge or header, he also seemed to be getting caught out of position on a lot of occasions.

At the end of the day it was a testimonial and a very good laugh aswell.  I hope Tokely got a fair bit of cash from the event and I was happy for him that so many people turned out to make tribute. 

The MC was excellent booing Brewster  :015: :015:

And it was obvious who ate all the pies ROBBO  :015: :015:

The game wasn't complete though until that he/she security guard (fat lookalike of Seanade O'Connor) eye balled everyone in the crowd... what an erse!

:015: I must be missing something.  You never gave me a chance to answer............yes I do remember him giving the ball away, and I also remember him passing up two decent shooting opportunities because the ball was on his right foot. He will come good once they all get to know each other a bit better. I also think we are now officially a team of midget midfielders, Morgan aside. We maybe need to offload some of these guys. CC will have a task ahead to sort out his middle men, but maybe it will be horses for courses.

Wilson, Proctor, Duncan, Hart, Black Rankin, McBain, Fox, Morgan, Keogh, Soane, Sutherland.

Rankin didn't shine bright for me, but then again he wasn't out of place. Say it as you see it. I am sure he will shine once he settles in.

Ritchie: did very well in my opinion, and maybe deserves that right midfield slot more than barry...

I can't let that go. Barry Wilson deserves the right midfield slot at the start of the season for me. Maybe Hart can play in the middle and move out to the right later on as Barry tires or something but Barry is still our main wide man.

Moreover I am amazed at how critical some posters are being of players one or two friendlies.

Sandy Cromarty, you never miss an opportunty to a slag off Hissy.  Just remember if it wasn't for his goal at Clyde we wouldn't be in the SPL.  The majority of fans don't share your view on Hissy so can I just suggest that if you've got nothing good to say about him, say nothing at all.

As for the game I thought the team played fairly well up to Sheffield's first goal.  After that they lost their way although still making chances.

I was delighted to see Hissy, and at least he played as if he really wanted to score a goal! That puts him ahead of Wyness at the moment imo.

I thought it was great of all the former players and managers to give theri time for Rossco, even though we got humped, its not as if it really matters,  as long as its not repeated today of course!

:010:

Wow, look at this negative quoty quoty from one of our fans regarding the Deveronvale game.

"Glass missed some glorious chances and Rory was poor again unfortunately"

Stating the obvious with Glass I am afraid. They were amazing chances and he missed them from a matter of inches out. Real blooper stuff. Don't see what's negative about that.

As for Rory, yes unfortunately he was poor but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he had run his socks off for 180 minutes non stop but the criticism levelled at Wyness for example is unreal and I am certainly not for one second thinking that if their perofrmance doesn't buck up in friendlies then we should get rid of them.

He was still our 2nd top goalscorer and we will need him if we are to break into the top 6 like so many folk think we will do this season. So after 3 poor performances in friendlies we might be saying goodbye because he isn't trying? That's a bit harsh is it not?

After seeing Rankin once he already needs to get his finger out!? Hardly. Against Peterhead it was him and Wilson who seemed to be pulling a lot of the strings. But like you say perhaps we can expect more from him but we need to be careful not to expect too much after the price we paid for him.

These are friendlies. Sure the performances haven't been the best but we know what these guys can do. Lets get right behind them (oo er!) and see what happens when we (hopefully) pummel St. Mirren and then get that first victory over Aberdire!  :001:

Oh one more thing - what was the crowd? I can't seem to find any mention of it.

thought rankin was best player on the park doesnt waste a pass and once gets to know his team mates will be awesome,especially him and dargo in same team,thought we were better team last night and created plenty,if we werent creating i,d be worried

hissys tackle in 2nd half was shocking,but the guys crap nayway

bayne needs punted will never turn it on in spl

If the Blades end up in the top half of the Premiership at the end of the season we can look back on this game and say it wasn't all that bad.  To be honest they did look a class above us last night, despite them having played fewer pre-season games.  However, as said by some above it was a testimonial and we had some players who were not quite match fit - Rossco, Bayne and Rankin for starters.

Was speaking to some of the Blades fans after the game and they were good crack.  Most were up for a long weekend and looking forward to going the the Highland games.  Some were also planning to take in our game with the Tinks today.

I was also passing Fraser Park this morning and the Sheffield players were doing some light training - a short hop from the Marriott.  I also came across some of the players on the golf course at Castle Heather this afternoon and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. They are also staying in the Marriott again tonight.   

Guest handsworthblade

Hello lads and lasses,

i was up for the game myself, a 9 hour train journey and back home again saturday. Just want to say huge thanks to the people of inverness for making it a superb trip and wish your club every success for the new season. I didnt really see much of inverness as it was a 24 hour visit but was really suprised that after 12pm theres virtually no where to go or open, curry houses and nightclubs etc. I stayed in the travel inn in inverness east and thought it was a cracking trip.  Iam back up tomorrow morning by train we play greenock morton.

best wishes.

Glad you enjoyed it, sorry about the pubs closing early.

What sort of team did you guys have starting on Friday? Was it your normal starting eleven or a mixture. We unfortunately played the next day as well which meant we could only play half the team on Friday and the other half on Saturday, with some squad players playing both days. You should do Ok in the Premiership, have a good one.

I dont think anyone should read anything into this game. It was a testimonial. It was all about a fun night for Ross and was certainly not a night for experimenting with players. CC fielded a good enough team in the first half and they did create one or two chances. After half an hour Sheffield upped a gear or two and showed that the top of the Championship is a totally different class to SPL. Even the top SPL teams would struggle to match them. The second half was about giving the guests a game and they all done ok at keeping the scoreline respectable.

The only disappointment for me was the turnout for a guy who has showed the fans of ICT such loyalty and commitment over the last ten years.

The only disappointment for me was the turnout for a guy who has showed the fans of ICT such loyalty and commitment over the last ten years.

Its a shame that the crowd was low, but not everyone can make a friday night game and then go again on the Saturday. Here's hoping that Rossco's testimonial committee can do some other events during the season such as golf days, and maybe another couple of evening events (party/race night etc)....