Golly

davieB

Guest hiltz

If golly wasn't club captain he would be dropped no question about it.

Golly has been with us for years and we all appreciate what he has done for us, but he is not as good as richard hastings in the left back role and thats all there is too it.

To put it another way- if at the end of last season CC took a left back on trial and he performed as indifferently as golly did then and as badly as he did yesterday, the guy would not be offered a contract.

I like golly as a player, he has always given 100% and has played some great games for us but his best is behind him now..

I remember a few years back when Mike Teasdale was going to be freed from our club there was outcry from the fans, until he left. Once he was gone everyone looked forward. Im not saying Golly should be given a free from us but we must look forward.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know that Golly has the ability to play at this level, and we also all agree that he has struggled to find his form since he was injured last season.

I thought yesterday there was a nervousness about his game.  I think he just needs a bit of confidence, which will come after a couple of improved performances.  It must be difficult to pick yourself up after a long absence.

Also can't agree that Russell Duncan didn't have a good game.  I thought he played really well yesterday. Russell always puts his heart and soul into every game.  Some passes may go astray, but remember they were most often cleared from defence.

So if you look it as a good clearance rather than a bad pass then you might appreciate him a bit more.  I know for a fact that the players really appreciate the effort he puts in.

If any of the players have a really gash game and they're not up to reading the message boards then all they have to do is not read the message boards. It they feel that one person is out of order in their comments then they can IGNORE their posts. Last I heard, this was a fans messageboard, not one to massage the players egos.  :017:

don't get me wrong if Golly had 3 or 4 games he might get back his sharpness, and if he was in midfield of upfront then he could be given that time but in defense we can't have any passangers.  If anything it should be CC that this thread about because he was the man that picked the team.  IMO the question isn't why was Golly picked ut why was Hastings dropped

Liam Keogh would be in with a shout, whether or not he played badly  :001:

You know I'm right though JB  :003:

:015: :015: Just Liam Keoch..!!??

No, I don't accept that you are right, but I would accept you would murder me in any ensuing debate..!!

I just don't think any professional person, going about his lawful business, doing the job he gets paid for, should have to put up with any kind of abuse, whether delivered from the stands or via posts on a website, irrespective of how he has performed.....

The manager is the one that picks the team, and gives them their instructions. It's up to him to work out why a player might not be contributing to the team's overall performance and to take action as he sees fit.... The fans are quite entitled to vent their spleen on him when results and performances are not forthcoming..... Just ask Craig Brewster...!!!

Johnboy,  dont talk crap!  the manager picks the best team he can or as he sees the game play requires.

He can talk tactics al night, but if any player goes out and performs poorly, its not totally the managers fault.

We as fans who pay our hard earned money have the right to discuss on this forum players who we feel under achieved during the game - Golly being one.

Golly himself knows he didnt produce the goods, and probably did enough to render him a reserve for the rest of the season.

Hastings in my mind is a bit better and can link better going forward, only his final ball is gash, the LB position is one i have said for 2 seasons is a weak area in our team.

Maybe you could have played better than Golly yesterday, Caley100....

Can you remember a certain Gary McAlister getting booed off the park when playing for Scotland at Hamden a few years ago?

He never played for his country again after that... his international career ruined by some scum who called themselves Scotland fans....

McAlister was one of the best players Scotland ever produced... Do think he deserved to be treated like that Caley100?

Golly didn't get booed off though, and I didn't hear anyone cheering him either but some posters did, its not something I would do. A lot of the points made are fair, hardly any are abusive, and if Golly ever read this thread then I don't think a lot of it would be a surprise. Since you're throwing out challenges, I could have played better than Golly yesterday, thats how bad he was. But on the positive side, the only way is up!  :003:

Sorry Johnboy, I thought this was a forum for the fans to discuss all things ICT?

Now let's just say Golly had played a blinder yesterday, scored a hat-trick, made several goal-line clearances etc then I'd have been the first on here posting the 'Golly...best left back ever!' thread. Nobody would have complained about 'singling' out players then would they?? Unfortunately he was awful though. I agree there were others who had very poor games, but sadly Golly started *****, then just got worse.

Players are quick enough to take the praise, if they can't take the rough as well, they shouldn't be playing.

And if he does read this? Good, I hope he does(though I hope he spent so much time on passing practice today that he didn't get time for any internet browsing!). It might let him know that we, as fans, expect better than what we got yesterday.

The best answer to all this is for Golly to get his act together, and shove it right back at al the critics. I'd be happier than anyone if that was the case. Unfortunately, if he gets another chance next week, it'll be more than just Golly getting it in the neck.

Golly didn't get booed off though, and I didn't hear anyone cheering him either but some posters did, its not something I would do. A lot of the points made are fair, hardly any are abusive, and if Golly ever read this thread then I don't think a lot of it would be a surprise. Since you're throwing out challenges, I could have played better than Golly yesterday, thats how bad he was. But on the positive side, the only way is up!  :003:

I know you could have played better than him, dear sweet Mee..... I was talking about Caley100...!!!

DavieB... I'm quite sure Golly was well aware he was having a stinker on Saturday, whether he reads this stuff or not... All I'm saying is that when the fans start getting on your back it does not help the situation....

Guest sophia

I wondered how long it would take for the hyenas to chase the weakest. The weakest, that is according to the pack.

SG was taken off because we went 3 at the back in order to chase the game. The fact that so many didn't realise that this was the case and proceeded to mark him out does us no credit whatever.

In my opinion, he was not the worst. After a shaky start he settled down and finished the 1st half strongly.

The passing out of our defence is woeful. Oh for a Bobby Mann skimmer up to DW.

oh my!!!

guys, guys, guys.....

no player gets up in the morning and says, i feel like having a ***** game today.....

no manager gets up in the morning and says, i'm going to pick the worst team today....

we all... ALL have ***** days, and ***** performances from time to time and what do we do??? 

we get on with it!  and we learn from our mistakes and try harder next time to not repeat those mistakes

it's the first game, lets all settle down into a nice rhythm and all will be well!

oh my!!!

guys, guys, guys.....

no player gets up in the morning and says, i feel like having a shite game today.....

no manager gets up in the morning and says, i'm going to pick the worst team today....

we all... ALL have shite days, and shite performances from time to time and what do we do??? 

we get on with it!  and we learn from our mistakes and try harder next time to not repeat those mistakes

it's the first game, lets all settle down into a nice rhythm and all will be well!

The most sensible post on this thread.  Well said FW.  :clapping04: :clapping04:

When are you coming to join us for pre match drinkies in the Innes???

The most sensible post on this thread.  Well said FW.   :clapping04: :clapping04:

When are you coming to join us for pre match drinkies in the Innes???

oh my!!!

going to try for the one on the 12th... if timings work out ok for me on the day!

would LURV cali100 to buy me all those drinks he's been promising..... :004:

and JB.... not on here babe, dont get me into trouble!!!  :016:

I agree with the fact that Golly would not have gone out to intentionally have a bad game, but when things go wrong and your not at your worst then you expect criticism and you have to be man enough to stand up and take it.  Golly's body language yesterday did not look to me like someone who realised they were having an off day, it looked to me like a person looking for excuses for every misplaced pass or poor tackle.  The icing on the cake was when he removed the Captains armband.  He gestured that it was too tight, yet he seemed to have managed fine with it up until that point.

At the end of the day the decision as to whether Golly (or any player for that matter) starts next week is for CC to make.  He is the man best placed to know how much of Saturday was down to "an off day" and how much was down to a drop in form.  What we have to do as fans come 3pm this Saturday is put last weeks game/performance behind us and support the team from the first whistle, we do not want to fall in to the blackhole of getting on players backs from the off just because they had a poor game the week before.

Thats whats so great about fans forums, they allow us the opportunity to get these things off our chests and move on.  People won't always agree with each other, but hopefully we can take a little from what (most) people have to contribute to the discussions.

Guest hiltz

I will confidently predict that golly will NOT be in next weeks starting eleven.

In my opinion he is the most obvious and easiest person to drop.

If im wrong and he has another gash game CC will have a bit of explaining to do.

As for the rest of the team? i think our 2 forwards will be the same and Black will keep his place in midfield along with Russell Duncan and Barry. Rankin may well be dropped in favour of Morgan or Mcbain who are more inclined to stay on the wing and give us a bit width.

But i do feel that Rankins performance was hampered by Gollys inept performance behind him.

In defence, Dods and Munro will stay and Roscoe could come back in if hes fit.Caff is a tidy player but not strong enough for us in the centre of defence and appears  to be not willing enough to get forward as a right back.Caff get into the gym and put on a stone of upper body muscle and you'll have a strong case for a central defence position..

Goalie? Mark brown will keep his place..

In truth, i will settle for one team change- Hastings in for Golly...

This  team picking malarkey is easy!!!!!

I thought Mark Brown was at badly fault for St Murn's first goal (which gave them a real lift) but I'm pleased he's not getting dog's abuse for it..... Saturday was a bad day for several ICT players... it is wrong to single out Golly.....

It was difficult not to single out Golly as he was shockingly bad. Mark Brown on the other hand made a couple of mistakes in a run of good performances, no one's going to give him abuse for that. Golly's been poor since he came back from injury, and more importantly, he's the captain! He's meant to be organising the others, not ignoring them (as he seemed to be doing with Rankin). Maybe you should stick to flirting with FW if you get upset when there's a critical thread JB, don't expect us to pretend that everything's great when it wasn't!