Scotland's People and Ancestry UK

culduthel

For those into memories/history etc. two brilliant sites for you to log onto. Under Scotland's People I have managed to print off copies of birth, marriage and death certificates for both sides of the family for Grandparents - Greatgrandparents - Great, Greatgrandparents, - and - Great, Great, Greatgranparents going back to the early 1800s (all contain suprising info. that leads you on to other searches). This research led to me making some facinating discoveries about extended members of the family- some good, some not so good.

Also managed to find most of them on most of the census records going back to about 1851. You get the street name and number, all members of family listed and their age,occupations plus other info. It really is a detective challenge especially if you come across a relative with a name like Donald Macdonald and they were born in Inverness-shire!

On Ancestry UK website I managed within 10 minutes of searching to get and print my Grandfathers Great War Pension record, 6 pages of facinating information - his Medal record/list 1 page - and his sign up papers and Service record including all records of his hospital visits and wounds another 6 pages. Really, really amazing stuff!

Try it out it is not difficult but it will cost you some cash as you purchase credits to view the records.

Anyone else on here tried it? How did you go and what did you find out?

My daughter has done all this research for my family in recent months. As I was adopted at a few months old, it was not a straight forward job, as my adopted parents never told me any details about my real parents. However she has tracked it all down and managed to go back generations. She confirms that the Scottish records are brilliant. She is currently tracking down a sister I never knew I had. Also, I have found out that my natural grandfather, and two of his brothers, all died at the Somme in 1917. I've already had a trip down there to look at their graves/memorials. Very poignant!

Been doing a lot of reading and poking around our family tree (we're fortunate enough to have one that's been kept for many generations) and it's rather cool finding out little facts about family and where you're from.

The "Coolest" fact I discovered recently was that my Grandfather was born in the little cottage that sits closest to the Visitor Centre at Culloden Battlefield.

It really is a detective challenge especially if you come across a relative with a name like Donald Macdonald and they were born in Inverness-shire!

Try Fraser in Inverness-shire. :018:

My paternal line is Fraser........and in my father's maternal direct line, there are a further four Fraser families, so far unconnected....and darn difficult and expensive to pin down.

Not found anybody interesting except for my 4xg grandfather who was John MacLean "the Inverness Historian" and my 3xg grandfather Finlay who put his words down on paper. Historical and Traditional Sketches of Highland Families and of the Highlands

Funnily enough, I was having a discussion about ancestry with my Mum on my recent trip back home. We were going through old photos ... and I mean really old ones (up to 80-100 years old) .... I obviously remember my parental line and my grandparents, but I was just too young to properly remember my great grandparents or great great grandparents so hearing names, nicknames and all sorts was very interesting.

Oddquine--the Fraserr clan originates from the De Frasier lineage being the folks who came over in 1066 with William the Conqueror. When land ran out in England for William's friends and nobles many of them came across the border ito Scotland where land was plentiful. Just roll up on someone's doorstep and take it! Tne Fraser clan was powerful and welathy as a result. The Earl of Keith, another descendant of a French family I believe who also came over with William, was viewed as one of the wealthiest men in Britain in the past--what their financial status is now I cannot tell.

When over in Scotland last August my sister handed me research papers which had been done by my cousin from Missouri in the U.S.A.when she had been over here for several weeks ' vacation some years ago. She is now deceased.

I was stunned when I reviewed the lineage and discovered that all my forebears on my mother's side side were the former chiefs of the clan MacBea, starting with the 1st Chief Bean MacDhomhil Mor through the 6th chief Paul MacBean in 1450 to the 12th Chief again named Paul in 1635 At this point the word Chief is no longer used which I take it to mean that my forefathers then came out of the second or even 3rd son instead of the first descendant.

This just shows you how one event can change a whole life and a whole history--if that 1st decendant had been one of my forefathers and again a direct descendant, then the possibility exists that I could now be the chief. The current chief of the clan lives in America. The majority of the domicile references in the later centuriesr refer to Dores. I know that the clan probably originally came over to Dalriada in S.W Scotland from Ireland, did not settle there but moved North East and settled in the Dores region where the origial clan seat was and still may be.

Anyway, any MacBean who is interested in all this can contact me at any time by p.m.