Yer favourite ice creamer

dougiedanger

Les Mann who came round Dalneigh for many years was good ... just a nice cheerful chappie who I met many years later as a regular in the Innes. Sadly, Les is no longer with us.

After Les stopped doing the Dalneigh run, I think it was Eric (not sure of surname) who got most of his business ... he was sound as well, lived at the bottom end of Hawthorn Drive I think.

First Ice Creamer i remember, was Les in the 1970's and his legendary refreshing Lemonade ice lollies coming into Birnie Terrace. Then in Dalneigh Mr Softee came on the go and then later Eric. We occasionally still get an ice creamer round here in Cradlehall.

And who remembers, the much rarer.... chippy vans that did the rounds in Dalneigh in the 80s? I used to get things occasionallly, but cant honestly remember if they were any good

Edited by SMEE

I have a vague memory of an expensive ice cream parlour in inverness town centre when I was a wee boy. Can't remember what it was called though.

Was it maybe Darnados on Academy st or Stratton Dairy on Church St?

The 'burbs were well served by 'Eddie' who also had Fox's on Tomnahurach Street for while. He used to live in Cradlehall, SMEE, and may well still be on the go. I doubt he sells single cigarettes to teenagers these days though.

I also remember Eric from back when we lived on the right side of the river.

I have a vague memory of a blue van that used do the rounds when i was very small (mid-80's). It may well have sold groceries but i only remember the well stocked sweetie counter.

I have a vague memory of an expensive ice cream parlour in inverness town centre when I was a wee boy. Can't remember what it was called though.

Was it maybe Darnados on Academy st or Stratton Dairy on Church St?

Dorando's, the cafe down academy street used stratton ice cream as far as i remember(my mate was one of the Turriani family) Stratton milk bar in Church street was the place i remember as selling the best ice cream.

Ness Cafe also sold proper 'Italian' ice cream, but does anyone recall Murd at the wee shop in Bellfield park? his little booth at the end of the main building stank of his sweat and almost put you off your cone.

Edited by caley100

The 'burbs were well served by 'Eddie' who also had Fox's on Tomnahurach Street for while. He used to live in Cradlehall, SMEE, and may well still be on the go. I doubt he sells single cigarettes to teenagers these days though.

I also remember Eric from back when we lived on the right side of the river.

I have a vague memory of a blue van that used do the rounds when i was very small (mid-80's). It may well have sold groceries but i only remember the well stocked sweetie counter.

Yer thinking of Cath's van there mate, C&C Allan, cracking smell as ye stepped on board.

Les Mann who came round Dalneigh for many years was good ... just a nice cheerful chappie who I met many years later as a regular in the Innes. Sadly, Les is no longer with us.

After Les stopped doing the Dalneigh run, I think it was Eric (not sure of surname) who got most of his business ... he was sound as well, lived at the bottom end of Hawthorn Drive I think.

Leslie is a good shout, always gave ye his broken cones. I don't recall Eric.

My first ice cream memories were of Salvadori's in Greig Street. There was old Salvadori, his son Vaaro and I think a daughter whom "older boys" regarded as a bit of a looker. The ice cream was superb, especially with the raspberry cordial on it. My mym would take me in for one on our way homwe from town.

Round Dalneigh it was Pagliari's wee blue van which used to play the Harry Lime theme and which used to de pretty good "threepenny cones".

Stratton has been mentioned by other posters and it was definitely a contender for the best ice cream in town - and certainly the best "non Italian".

There were so many great ice creams in Inverness in the 50s and 60s, most of them Italians such as Coffrinis (Ness Cafe), The Locarno and Dorandos. Tragically there's not an Italian Cafe left in the place now.

Even more tragically, into the 60s, we then had the invasion of the gastronomic nihilism which is Mr. Whippy.

The Salvadori family had two lovely daughters ,who would also serve in the shop.The elder one was dark haired and emigrated after marrying a local lad.The younger was blonde. The Italians certainly had a monopoly on great ice cream in the 40's and 50's.

The most unique seller to my mind would be the chap on the tricycle,who had the ice cream 'fridge' on the front of his trike.He was from the Vandro cafe on Wells Street and used to make an art out of making up a threepenny 'slider'.

The Salvadori family had two lovely daughters ,who would also serve in the shop.The elder one was dark haired and emigrated after marrying a local lad.The younger was blonde. The Italians certainly had a monopoly on great ice cream in the 40's and 50's.

The most unique seller to my mind would be the chap on the tricycle,who had the ice cream 'fridge' on the front of his trike.He was from the Vandro cafe on Wells Street and used to make an art out of making up a threepenny 'slider'.

Hey Grover... you're bringing back memories now with the guy with the trike... and sliders!! I'm too young to remember the 40s or even much of the 50s but if you go into the 60s and later Stratton certainly led the non Italian challenge.

And I've just remembered the great ice cream you used to get at Bellfield Park which I suspect came from one of the Italians. One well known figure who used to be seen frequently at the Bellfield shop was a gentleman who at the time went under a rather unkind nickname but in the current PC era might most safely be described as having had a profound physical disability despite which he managed to ride a bike with some considerable difficulty.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

One well known figure who used to be seen frequently at the Bellfield shop was a gentleman who at the time went under a rather unkind nickname but in the current PC era might most safely be described as having had a profound physical disability despite which he managed to ride a bike with some considerable difficulty.

[/quote

That was Murd as referred to by an earlier poster above on here. His mother had the franchise to run the shop. If you got Murd doing your ice cream for you it took about him about ten minutes to do it - but we did not mind the wait. It was amazing to watch him do it. Quite often he would miss the cone and the ice cream would drop on the floor and he would just start again as if nothing had happened. As you say he had a profound disability - his body, arms, neck and legs were all twisted and he could barely walk but he did his best to have as normal a life as possible. He was a constant reminder to us how fortunate we were to have full health - during summer as kids we were in the park on an almost daily basis. I never knew of any unkind nickname given to him - we always treated him with respect even though he could be a bit of a grump at times. I think he lived over the river somewhere because we would sometimes see him going home with his bike over the Infirmary bridge.

As to the best ice cream. I agree Strattons was about the best in town. The best in the area by far was Morgantis in Nairn.

That was Murd as referred to by an earlier poster above on here.

Yes, missed Caley100's reference above!

Was Murd not also great Caley fan and in fact did he not even take the money at the stand at Telford Street, sometimes assisting the old boy whose name temporarily escapes me but who, until he died just a few years ago used to sit in the bottom bar in the Social Club post match and allow himself to be filled up with free drink?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

mmmnnnn...........Ice cream yummy.

Grantown used to have two cafe's. One at the top of the high street and one at the bottom of the high street. Strangely enough, we referred to them as the top cafe and the bottom cafe. Both were Italians and boith made stunning ice cream and both had completely different taste. The bottom cafe was more creamy than the top cafe, but this was my favourite, yummy yummy.

Going further afield, the cafe in Lossiemouth sells delicious home made ice cream, nowadays of course multi flavoured ices, with the honey/toffee ones being scrumptious. Mint choc as well mmmnnn.

Then there is Portsoy and Cullen another two beauties. Sadly, the ice cream dominance appears to have been won by the eastern side of the country as there are few west of Elgin making their own delicacies. From the supermarket, try Mackies ice cream probably as near to home made as you will get.

Was Murd not also great Caley fan and in fact did he not even take the money at the stand at Telford Street, sometimes assisting the old boy whose name temporarily escapes me but who, until he died just a few years ago used to sit in the bottom bar in the Social Club post match and allow himself to be filled up with free drink?

Murd was indeed a great Caley fan and as previously mentioned though he had terrible disabilities i dont ever recall him being abused about it , I doubt it would be the same these days .

Murd was indeed a great Caley fan and as previously mentioned though he had terrible disabilities i dont ever recall him being abused about it , I doubt it would be the same these days .

Ther was a small cafe on the left side of Bridge stree run by Mario bernardis wife Kay I think they did great ice cream

Grantown used to have two cafe's. One at the top of the high street and one at the bottom of the high street. Strangely enough, we referred to them as the top cafe and the bottom cafe. Both were Italians and boith made stunning ice cream and both had completely different taste. The bottom cafe was more creamy than the top cafe, but this was my favourite, yummy yummy.

Going further afield, the cafe in Lossiemouth sells delicious home made ice cream, nowadays of course multi flavoured ices, with the honey/toffee ones being scrumptious. Mint choc as well mmmnnn.

Then there is Portsoy and Cullen another two beauties. Sadly, the ice cream dominance appears to have been won by the eastern side of the country as there are few west of Elgin making their own delicacies. From the supermarket, try Mackies ice cream probably as near to home made as you will get.

Are from Grantown ???

Are from Grantown ???

Haven't you noticed his extra thumbs?