The Harriers

dougiedanger

Any ex-Harriers care to put me right?

I don't know about ex members because we actually have rather a lot of current ones, but this Life Member of the Harriers certainly could.

Methinks, reading between the lines of your post, that either you have never been near the Harriers so haven't got a clue what you are talking about or you used to go along but socially or athletically or academically, or possibly for all three reasons, you felt you couldn't quite fit in. Your problem - not the Harriers'.

Just to put you right on one or two other matters, the last Harrier to win a national championship medal on home ground at the Queens Park actually came from the darkest Ferry. The first Harrier of the modern era to win a national title was brought up in a council house in Hilton.

As for the "football" reference, one of the best athletes I ever coached was Neil Fraser who gave up the offer to play for Caley (where he was coached by Hamish Munro) instead to go on to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games, Great Britain at the European Indoor Championships and to hold the national record for the hurdles for 7 years. There have been quite a few more like him performing at a level which, with all due respect to our footballing colleagues, has not really been aspired to too often by Invernessians within that sport.

If you could only manage to take half of that apparently rather large chip and place it on the other shoulder, you might manage to achieve a rather more balanced viewpoint.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I don't know about ex members because we actually have rather a lot of current ones, but this Life Member of the Harriers certainly could.

Methinks, reading between the lines of your post, that either you have never been near the Harriers so haven't got a clue what you are talking about or you used to go along but socially or athletically or academically, or possibly for all three reasons, you felt you couldn't quite fit in. Your problem - not the Harriers'.

Just to put you right on one or two other matters, the last Harrier to win a national championship medal on home ground at the Queens Park actually came from the darkest Ferry. The first Harrier of the modern era to win a national title was brought up in a council house in Hilton.

As for the "football" reference, one of the best athletes I ever coached was Neil Fraser who gave up the offer to play for Caley (where he was coached by Hamish Munro) instead to go on to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games, Great Britain at the European Indoor Championships and to hold the national record for the hurdles for 7 years. There have been quite a few more like him performing at a level which, with all due respect to our footballing colleagues, has not really been aspired to too often by Invernessians within that sport.

If you could only manage to take half of that apparently rather large chip and place it on the other shoulder, you might manage to achieve a rather more balanced viewpoint.

Ach, cool down CB, it was only a bit of craic. I love to see any Invernessian excel. From what you say, it seems it's like Tough of the Track down Queen's Park of an evening.

And as far as I can make out dougiedanger - Charles is not from the Crown or Lochardil either - a Dalneigh boy by all accounts.

And as far as I can make out dougiedanger - Charles is not from the Crown or Lochardil either - a Dalneigh boy by all accounts.

And your point is caller?