A.B.E.

Scotty

What I want to know is why the English media seem to think it is compulsory for us Scots to support the English team if we're not there? After all France is a neighbour of theirs but they wouldnt support them would they? Back on topic I think someone has lost their sense of humour but I bet they sell lots after all this publicity.

I don't necessarily think it is expected of Scots, more that most of these programmes are made in England, mainly by English people for what is mainly an English audience.

most of us are anti county so is that racist casue we dont like the team??

I think the difference with that though is that the area known as "Ross-shire" or "Ross County" if you like is not a country. It might look like a foreign country, stuck in the dark ages like it is, but amazingly it isn't.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"**** the English wankers" is not banter it is racist and it is offensive. Especially coming from DornochCaley given his stance on all things English. (From previous "chats")

I wouldn't worry about that, studies have shown than children of that age often start with a more radical view point and grow in to sanity as they get older.

"**** the English wankers" is not banter it is racist and it is offensive. Especially coming from DornochCaley given his stance on all things English. (From previous "chats")

I wouldn't worry about that, studies have shown than children of that age often start with a more radical view point and grow in to sanity as they get older.

Radical I can handle mate, vile blatent hatred is a bit harder but I can see where you're coming from. :026:

I agree with one of the posts above, we Scots are a rather petty and backwards bunch at times and whilst it is true that the English media do go on a bit about '66, how often do you hear Scots gloating about the events of '67? Whether in retaliation or not, quite a bit. It's also the same with other teams. How often do you hear ICT fans go on about the events of Tuesday 8th February 2000? A heck of a lot. England just have a bigger media platform and a larger fanbase, to bring up the World Cup win.

I can honestly say that I have never heard any 'gloating' about '67. Maybe reminiscing, but no gloating. And taking your point, Celtic should then harp on about '67 before every champions league game, which simply doesn't happen. Maybe if you frequent the Celtic forums.

I know England games are less regular than the CL, and that comparing Celtic in the CL and England in the WC is impossible, but I just don't hear a peep about '67 before any CL games. Maybe I switch off from it.

For me, and you can take this as racist or a tad prejudiced, the English media/fans are a more arrogant breed than the Scotland fans. The fans should probably expect more, they do have a decent team, but the Scotland fans believe more in the occasion rather than the end result.

I agree with one of the posts above, we Scots are a rather petty and backwards bunch at times and whilst it is true that the English media do go on a bit about '66, how often do you hear Scots gloating about the events of '67? Whether in retaliation or not, quite a bit. It's also the same with other teams. How often do you hear ICT fans go on about the events of Tuesday 8th February 2000? A heck of a lot. England just have a bigger media platform and a larger fanbase, to bring up the World Cup win.

I can honestly say that I have never heard any 'gloating' about '67. Maybe reminiscing, but no gloating. And taking your point, Celtic should then harp on about '67 before every champions league game, which simply doesn't happen. Maybe if you frequent the Celtic forums.

I know England games are less regular than the CL, and that comparing Celtic in the CL and England in the WC is impossible, but I just don't hear a peep about '67 before any CL games. Maybe I switch off from it.

For me, and you can take this as racist or a tad prejudiced, the English media/fans are a more arrogant breed than the Scotland fans. The fans should probably expect more, they do have a decent team, but the Scotland fans believe more in the occasion rather than the end result.

There were Open bus tours and nearly a National holiday when they won the Ashes...and they only beat one country to do that, if by some miracle they do win the World Cup best not turn on our TVs for at least 5 years

I'd say a lot of it comes down to how big and infrequent the World Cup is, but also because England has a much larger support and far larger media platform but I have heard gloating from all those aforementioned groups. Let them have their fun and get on with your own life, but unfortunately when it comes to some people when it comes to England that's just too much to ask. :rolleyes:

Edited by Renegade

Its not racist in the slightest. Saying you dont want someone to win as a joke isn't racist is it? Or has the world become so ridiculously PC that we are not allowed to make comment on anything in case we offend?

England are Scotlands main rivals therefore it is natural that we dont want them to do well. Forget all the belittling comments from the media and ancient abuse on our land. Its pure and simple rivalry.

Of course we gloat about the fact we beat them in 67. We were the 1st team to play them and beat them post winning the World cup. " We won the world cup in 66'" " yeah, then we beat you!" Beating world champions for a team that Im not sure even qualified for the 66 tournament is no mean feat. And its even bigger considering its our fierce rivals.

Does any ICT fan ever want County to do well? Would we not find it more amusing seeing them crash and burn?

Do Everton fans call for Liverpool to win them premiership?

It's a little dig at not wanting the English team to do well. Its half hearted at best.

Really no point reading more into it.

On one note though, the publicity will have done wonders for their business.

It's not as if my summer revolves around England getting knocked out, but it does cheer me up.

I am always delighted to see Lawrenson/Hansen/Linekar/Wright unhappy. Maybe if they got some decent, neutral pundits in the studio my attitude would change, but I doubt it.

Hansen is very coy, if you watch him. Sure he'll talk up the English team and highlight their strengths, but if they fail to do what is expected and lose or draw a game, watch for a wry smile. Very subtle. And often it will be followed by him picking apart any faults made. In a neutral analyst type of course. Doesn't gloat. And it really infuriates the likes of Wright (most ridiculously biased pundit ever) to see all the fallicies of their team picked apart in the fairest of ways.

Its not racist in the slightest. Saying you dont want someone to win as a joke isn't racist is it? Or has the world become so ridiculously PC that we are not allowed to make comment on anything in case we offend?

England are Scotlands main rivals therefore it is natural that we dont want them to do well. Forget all the belittling comments from the media and ancient abuse on our land. Its pure and simple rivalry.

Of course we gloat about the fact we beat them in 67. We were the 1st team to play them and beat them post winning the World cup. " We won the world cup in 66'" " yeah, then we beat you!" Beating world champions for a team that Im not sure even qualified for the 66 tournament is no mean feat. And its even bigger considering its our fierce rivals.

Does any ICT fan ever want County to do well? Would we not find it more amusing seeing them crash and burn?

Do Everton fans call for Liverpool to win them premiership?

It's a little dig at not wanting the English team to do well. Its half hearted at best.

Really no point reading more into it.

On one note though, the publicity will have done wonders for their business.

This is the most sensible post on here so far.

Radical I can handle mate, vile blatent hatred is a bit harder but I can see where you're coming from. :022:

C'mon now Oz, don't be so sensitive. It's rivalry and banter. People use the word rascist far too readily nowadays. I have had to listen to things like "jock scum" and "jock c***s when I was working in England. I just shrugged it off. Believe me in England there is far more animosity towards the Scots than vice versa.

Here we go again. Just once I'd like Scotland to qualify to give the anti English minds something else to think about. I must admit most of you see this as it's meant, banter but there will always be a few small minded folk who take it too far.

england.gifCome on England

Not to worry anyway. The English media are doing everything they can to divide the team months before the tournament even starts. Captain sacked, 1st 2 left backs potentially out...

The best you can hope for is the team developing a siege mentality.

Radical I can handle mate, vile blatent hatred is a bit harder but I can see where you're coming from. :rolleyes:

C'mon now Oz, don't be so sensitive. It's rivalry and banter. People use the word rascist far too readily nowadays. I have had to listen to things like "jock scum" and "jock c***s when I was working in England. I just shrugged it off. Believe me in England there is far more animosity towards the Scots than vice versa.

Dam,

Believe me mate I'm not the sensitive type. After 22 yrs in the army I have learnt to tell the difference between banter and hatred. I have lived with all nationalities, be it "Jocks", "Taffs", "Paddys" or any of the other diverse range of people that I have come into contact with. I have lived with the Falkland Islanders, The Bosnians, Germans, Cypriots, Spanish, Danish, Canadians, Australians, South Africans, etc etc etc. Some of the above nationalities have experienced real racism and hatred. During this time however I have also experienced great banter between the different countries. My point is I believe that I can pretty much tell banter from plain hatred and nastiness. Most on here have a normal outlook on the English and their team ie: Don't really care about the former and want the latter to get beaten every game. That is normal and I have no probs with that, unfortunately there are the odd few that carry a deep resentment towards the English in general and find the need to vent this whenever possible. This I find offensive and sometimes falls into the racist area (**** the English wankers).

If I was to say (and I wouldn't dream of it) "**** you Scottish pr1cks" would you not find it offensive or would you think it was banter? Now before you answer, take into account the person saying it is well known for his anti everything views and his quickness to belittle people.

Anyway ref your experience with the English, you obviously need to hang out with a better class of people. B)

I'd very much doubt anyone that uses this forum gives two hoots where anyone is from. You get people you like and dislike from all walks of life. I've friends from, Ireland, N Ireland, England, Oz and Africa. Work with Indians, Pakistanis, Sudanese. Some of the worst I've come across are from Scotland. As well as some of the best.

So as much as racism is not to be tolerated and wrong, there is nothing wrong with the odd jibe. Banter. plastic hatred.

I've always firmly believed it is NOT nessesarily what you say or the content, but how you say it and whether it is meant to cause offence, an attack, which is what deems it to be racist anyway.

I'd very much doubt anyone that uses this forum gives two hoots where anyone is from. You get people you like and dislike from all walks of life. I've friends from, Ireland, N Ireland, England, Oz and Africa. Work with Indians, Pakistanis, Sudanese. Some of the worst I've come across are from Scotland. As well as some of the best.

So as much as racism is not to be tolerated and wrong, there is nothing wrong with the odd jibe. Banter. plastic hatred.

I've always firmly believed it is NOT nessesarily what you say or the content, but how you say it and whether it is meant to cause offence, an attack, which is what deems it to be racist anyway.

Couldn't agree more, which highlights my point of what was said and by whom and why I took offence to it.

Radical I can handle mate, vile blatent hatred is a bit harder but I can see where you're coming from. :huh:

Dam,

Believe me mate I'm not the sensitive type. After 22 yrs in the army I have learnt to tell the difference between banter and hatred. I have lived with all nationalities, be it "Jocks", "Taffs", "Paddys" or any of the other diverse range of people that I have come into contact with. I have lived with the Falkland Islanders, The Bosnians, Germans, Cypriots, Spanish, Danish, Canadians, Australians, South Africans, etc etc etc. Some of the above nationalities have experienced real racism and hatred. During this time however I have also experienced great banter between the different countries. My point is I believe that I can pretty much tell banter from plain hatred and nastiness. Most on here have a normal outlook on the English and their team ie: Don't really care about the former and want the latter to get beaten every game. That is normal and I have no probs with that, unfortunately there are the odd few that carry a deep resentment towards the English in general and find the need to vent this whenever possible. This I find offensive and sometimes falls into the racist area (**** the English wankers).

If I was to say (and I wouldn't dream of it) "**** you Scottish pr1cks" would you not find it offensive or would you think it was banter? Now before you answer, take into account the person saying it is well known for his anti everything views and his quickness to belittle people.

Anyway ref your experience with the English, you obviously need to hang out with a better class of people. B)

But I do hang out with a "better class of people" - they're Scottish! You left yourself wide open for that one, now FFS don't label me rascist!