Scottish Cup Final (merged)

ICTPaisley

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet my bottom dollar that SMEE is indeed a very bitter Celtc fan it just oozes out of him .

Well.....a "fan" might be a bit of a stretch...considering i have never made any financial contribution to the club in any from. I have long openly admired their style of play tho. BUT....had it been even Rangers they played today...ad have wanted County to lose!

Is it the time of the month or something? Why is everybody so angry? Some choose to cheer County on, some don't get over it it's life. I personally think they deserve to be in the final after today's display but will not be cheering them on in the final as I couldn't give a toss who wins.

If County were to lose the final then fine, thats not what i'm asking for here. I'm asking for a day out at the end of the season for the Highlanders. Why not go along to a cup final? Going by the attitudes of a few here that you can only go and watch ICT then most have never been to a national cup final before so why not take one in and support the highlands in the meantime.

I think Smee may have a point in a way. I live in Dornoch now and the amount of "die-hard" C*unty fans that have sprung up here is unbelievable considering most of them were Brora fans during their Highland League years. To an extent it is the same with ICT fans. I know guys in Sutherland who support ICT and have season tickets who are staunch supporters now but before we were a first division team I struggled to find anyone bar myself and my brother who supported ICT, nowadays there are ICT shirts all over the place. This is a good thing but had we still been two Highland league sides then I doubt there would ever be another Caledonian or Thistle shirt to be seen, there might have been one or two C*unty shirts. Glory hunters might be a strong phrase but our success certainly has gained us a few fans we would never have had.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that SMEE is indeed a very bitter Celtc fan it just oozes out of him .

Well.....a "fan" might be a bit of a stretch...considering i have never made any financial contribution to the club in any from. I have long openly admired their style of play tho. BUT....had it been even Rangers they played today...ad have wanted County to lose!

Right so you follow the same style as my dad, old fashioned and a big caley fan when he was younger but IS a "fan" of the one side of the OF, he doesn't like to call himself a supporter as he doesn't go to any OF games neither buys their merchandise.

I think Smee may have a point in a way. I live in Dornoch now and the amount of "die-hard" C*unty fans that have sprung up here is unbelievable considering most of them were Brora fans during their Highland League years. To an extent it is the same with ICT fans. I know guys in Sutherland who support ICT and have season tickets who are staunch supporters now but before we were a first division team I struggled to find anyone bar myself and my brother who supported ICT, nowadays there are ICT shirts all over the place. This is a good thing but had we still been two Highland league sides then I doubt there would ever be another Caledonian or Thistle shirt to be seen, there might have been one or two C*unty shirts. Glory hunters might be a strong phrase but our success certainly has gained us a few fans we would never have had.

You think that he has a point that fans from 1994 onwards are glory hunters? C'mon! Not another one. Theres thousands of fans that didn't give a monkeys about either sides before the merger but that doesn't mean they start glory hunting from the 3rd division onwards. Its ICT! Not a team to glory hunt over, neither is Aberdeen, Hibs, or Dundee Utd. People who support these teams support them because they love the club. Saying it's because they are a famous 3rd/2nd/1st division side is idiotic.

So you dislike County more than Rankers ? No chance , County were rivals during the Highland League but in no way our biggest rivals . Your fooling no-one with your pretence of not being a Celtc fan .

Smee with all due respect your attitude is pretty **** towards ICT fans. I was 2 years old when the merger happened, before I even knew what football was but because you supported Caley in the Highland league that makes you a bigger fan than everyone in my position? Also, even if someone say in their 40's when the merger happened and had no interest in any inverness football prior to this it would still not make you a bigger ICT fan. It woudl make youa bigger fan of caley but not caley thistle. Talk about massaging your own ego.

I think the use of the word support is maybe the cause of the unrest. A lot of folk might take in the cup final as it is an occasion. Supporting County could be an option, but I would look at it as a preference rather than 100% backing. I may or may not go to the final, that will be my choice, but at least one of the dominant teams will not win it this year. Would I actually want County to win it? Can't say I would be overly fussed, but I like the underdog, so if they were playing United, then yes, if Raith, then probably yes as well, keep the trophy away from the central belt.

Does that make me a County supporter, no.

Seems the sun has gone to a few heads today, lets all chill and bask in the glory of a fantastic result at Palmerston.

I think the use of the word support is maybe the cause of the unrest. A lot of folk might take in the cup final as it is an occasion. Supporting County could be an option, but I would look at it as a preference rather than 100% backing. I may or may not go to the final, that will be my choice, but at least one of the dominant teams will not win it this year. Would I actually want County to win it? Can't say I would be overly fussed, but I like the underdog, so if they were playing United, then yes, if Raith, then probably yes as well, keep the trophy away from the central belt.

Does that make me a County supporter, no.

Seems the sun has gone to a few heads today, lets all chill and bask in the glory of a fantastic result at Palmerston.

Your better with your words than i am. Thats exactly what i was trying to get across. I am in no means trying to change who i support but would like to see the highland team do well.

All a side a brilliant day for ICT and 3 games to go. Gutted i can't make next weeks match but i'll be there for Ayr in what will hopefully be our league winning match.

I am going to make my way to the Scottish Cup final this year to support Ross County. I think they have a brilliant chance against either Utd or Raith and after todays performance they have shown they can win it. For most of the game they weren't even under that much pressure and they had the best of the chances.

How many ICT fans out there will be thinking about going to this Cup Final? As i said in another thread our season will be over by then and most likely we'll all watch it on tv but who wants to go to the game? A wee ICT support at the cup final for County would be good crack, i seriously think we should think about getting a few numbers together for this.

To get back to the subject of the thread ....

I congratulate Ross County on their great result today. They have, for the first time in the senior history, done something before ICT in getting to the final of the Cup, and possibly into Europe.

Reading the reports and listening to various interviews, it sounds very reminiscent of our result against Celtic in 2000. The big team underestimated the wee team and on the day of the game only one team went out there with the determination and effort designed to win it whereas the big team thought they just had to turn up to win it.

Whether our result was bigger than today's result will be debated long and hard, but personally, I think today's may be .... County are in the final and if they end up playing Dundee United, they will also have qualified for Europe. That is HUGE and may just eclipse ours.

To answer the question though ... Would I support County in the Cup by going to Hampden ? The answer to that is an emphatic NO. Even if I still lived in Scotland, I could not go along to Hampden and pretend I was supporting them. I would consider going as a neutral to watch the spectacle of a game of football but not sure I would bother goiing to that expense for a day out in Glasgow where the end result wouldnt bother me much.

As a sidenote to this thread: It is a good thread but like the other that was closed down earlier today, it is in danger of having the same fate if the personal slagging that is permeating throughout it continues. Please stick to the discussion without lowering the tone and slagging off other posters or I will close it down. This is the first and only warning about this.

So Brewster and co v Utd it is then...gives the media the kinda story they ususally pray for

....but then again an all SFL scottish cup final - can't believe that has ever happened before in the 125 year history but then maybe it has....

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

You think that he has a point that fans from 1994 onwards are glory hunters? C'mon! Not another one. Theres thousands of fans that didn't give a monkeys about either sides before the merger but that doesn't mean they start glory hunting from the 3rd division onwards. Its ICT! Not a team to glory hunt over, neither is Aberdeen, Hibs, or Dundee Utd. People who support these teams support them because they love the club. Saying it's because they are a famous 3rd/2nd/1st division side is idiotic.

I never said that. My son and daughter are both season ticket holders and die hard fans and both came to support ICT after 1994, I have actively discouraged glory hunting (with the exception that my son can support and I will buy Man U merchandise so long as he keeps away from the OF and C*unty) but there are a section of our fans who are only coming to matches because of our status. The fans of the other teams you have mentioned which we picked up (and you can include OF fans in that list) are generally fans who never bothered going to matches of their chosen team in the past but through convenience started going to watch ICT instead of their local welfare team. I was speaking to a mate today at a football coaching session my son has been attending during the holidays, as long as I had known this guy up until we got to the SPL he had no affinity with either ICT or C*unty, he was a Rangers fan but now he holds a season ticket with ICT and hates the C*unty as much as I do, his kids are also ICT season book holders but he has a lack of knowledge of our history (short as it is). He even said to me that at TCS we are too far from the play to enjoy it as much as he enjoyed the C*unty matches in Dingwall, this made me realise that he has no memory or understanding of what it was like to be in the Bridge End Northside when we played C*unty or Livingston because I would take that over an away day at Dingwall every time, shame it's gone.

I think this was the point that Smee was attempting to make, we now have a group of fans whose attitudes to ICT and their rivalries (Dalneigh is correct we had bigger ones pre merger but for the last 16 years C*unty have been the ones) are not well understood by some of the longer standing fans, does this make them lesser fans? No, just different and differences of opinion lead to heated discussion. I will say again, I cannot fathom your attitude towards C*unty but then again you have the same problem with me.

The result at Hampden sickened me today, hence the outburst, but the result at Palmerston sorted me out.

ICT paisley, dont try and reason with the unreasonable. There are no "true" fans, or "hardcore" or "diehards"...there's probably a wee old 75 yr old man that has quietly been going to games since before the second world war, yet im sure because he doesn't travel to away games, he is a gloryhunter part-timer in some peoples eyes

I supported Caley in the Highland league, and went to a fair few games home and way...big whoopie...im no better or worse than any other fan. Just a fan.

Well done County! And yes, good on anyone who is big enough to know the Highlands vs the Glaswegians is worthattending when it doesnt affect ICT one way or the other! :lol:

Well done County! And yes, good on anyone who is big enough to know the Highlands vs the Glaswegians is worthattending when it doesnt affect ICT one way or the other! :lol:

I thought that C*unty would be facing a team from Tayside or Fife in the final, which Glaswegians are they playing?

How can you go to a game and "support" a team other than your own?

I think the technical term is glory hunting, normally only found in supporters who can't face up to negative emotions. Hopefully it does not take too much hold or he'll be supporting Ingurlund in South Africa next.

Let me further explain this statement as I have read back and the term glory hunting seems to be the point which annoys most people.

Going to "support" a team which you have only a tenuous link with and whom, under normal circumstances, you would have no intention of watching merely because they have made it to a national final with the chance of winning a trophy so that you can enjoy the atmosphere (glory) with rival fans is without a shadow of a doubt glory hunting.

I will be taking my children to Hampden to witness a Highland side contest a national cup final. I heartily wish it was ICT but we will be supporting our near neighbours and fellow Highlanders.

I hope that you take up a ticket allocation which some poor Staggie misses out on, it will be hilarious to think that C*unty fans can miss out on tickets because ICT fans are taking their place :(

I couldn't care less what County get up to except to the extent that it effects us, and I am astonished and disappointed that ICT fans can be in favour of something which is detrimental to our club.

Cup success for County helps them in areas where we compete against them in a small local market - attracting new fans, attracting local business sponsorship, and attracting players.

This cup run has earned county a fortune, and a win and European football would make them even richer. The "Highland football" fans might like to consider that even if we get promoted, County would be able to offer the likes of Foran, Hayes and Rooney higher wages than we can.

So be careful what you wish for.

I would imagine there will be plenty room at Hampden, with all the greetin Celtic fans missing and the equally greetin Gers fans missing too. But it's a thought. Maybe thats what Paisley was getting at, ICT fans buy all the tickets and County fans get none.

I would imagine there will be plenty room at Hampden, with all the greetin Celtic fans missing and the equally greetin Gers fans missing too. But it's a thought. Maybe thats what Paisley was getting at, ICT fans buy all the tickets and County fans get none.

Can't see the final attracting more than about 30,000. Even if they do qhalify for the Europa Cup I can see that actually costing County financially rather than earning them a fortune depending on which team they draw in the preliminary round.

I couldn't care less what County get up to except to the extent that it effects us, and I am astonished and disappointed that ICT fans can be in favour of something which is detrimental to our club.

Cup success for County helps them in areas where we compete against them in a small local market - attracting new fans, attracting local business sponsorship, and attracting players.

This cup run has earned county a fortune, and a win and European football would make them even richer. The "Highland football" fans might like to consider that even if we get promoted, County would be able to offer the likes of Foran, Hayes and Rooney higher wages than we can.

So be careful what you wish for.

well said

Is it the time of the month or something? Why is everybody so angry? Some choose to cheer County on, some don't get over it it's life. I personally think they deserve to be in the final after today's display but will not be cheering them on in the final as I couldn't give a toss who wins.

If County were to lose the final then fine, thats not what i'm asking for here. I'm asking for a day out at the end of the season for the Highlanders. Why not go along to a cup final? Going by the attitudes of a few here that you can only go and watch ICT then most have never been to a national cup final before so why not take one in and support the highlands in the meantime.

Why not take the cup final in if u are a Caley fan??

let me see now!! it will give the county fans the bragging rites , theonly way Caley fans could get to the Scottish cup final was by watching our team lol aw the poor Caley fans what a shame lol they are even giving us money now by going lol

I asked my son if he would go " no Caley are not in it" but its a cup final " i was at theAlba cup final which Caley were in" he is one of the new fans not a glory hunter as he is only 13