Fans - 2 good, 2 bad

DoofersDad

I usually head for the main stand because you get a better view of the game. I forgot what it's like when it's full. It does get to me a bit when i've managed to sit in that same seat for the last 5 games and whilst your on your own if you chant, there was never once anyone behind me to moan. Come Dundee though and suddenly there's all these new faces (which we want) have a proper moan (which we don't want), because I stood up to applaud Eric off! You can actually see who chants in the main stand because they are so few and far between. Over to the right hand side behind the home dug out one guy was giving it big digs. HE HAD HIS ARMS OUTSTRETCHED WHILST STANDING UP!!!!!!!!!!! He must have spent the weekend in jail!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You cultured chap TheKnowledge. Hungover on sunday? :lol:

Worst one yet. Still feel like ending it all today. I spent sooo much time bargaining with god yesterday. "If you make this go away, I promise i'll believe in you".

I sit wie ma veteran pals (Well we are all over 40 at least) in Section F, just like top say the troops in Section G were immense on Saturday as usual. Good craic and plenty good songs.

I have nae time for the sweety rustling brigade I'm afraid, its a football match for goodness sake.

Well done to the team and management, couple of good signings in and we should not be bothered with the mince in the bottom of 6 of the SPL. :lol:

I usually head for the main stand because you get a better view of the game. I forgot what it's like when it's full. It does get to me a bit when i've managed to sit in that same seat for the last 5 games and whilst your on your own if you chant, there was never once anyone behind me to moan. Come Dundee though and suddenly there's all these new faces (which we want) have a proper moan (which we don't want), because I stood up to applaud Eric off! You can actually see who chants in the main stand because they are so few and far between. Over to the right hand side behind the home dug out one guy was giving it big digs. HE HAD HIS ARMS OUTSTRETCHED WHILST STANDING UP!!!!!!!!!!! He must have spent the weekend in jail!

That's where I was sitting Saturday, wonder if it was me!!! People have often referred to me as the "Eclipse" and when I stand up, those behind often have little option but to follow suit if they want ANY chance of seeing anything :lol:

I ended up in the north stand section D, as it turned out I was next to a 12 year old kid, but he didn't have any problems singing along! If you aren't going to sing then your aswell to watch the match on teletext! At the end of the day it was a 200 mile round trip to give my club the backing they deserve and I'm not going to let anyone ssh me.

She called you a disgrace to the club? That's shocking J. No wonder so many folk are planning giving up their season tickets and/or only planning the away games. I wish this lot would get a grip.

She pretty much aimed it at all of us from what I could tell.

Guest Mahonio

I gave a bad look to a geezer at the back of Section F, 3 bloody times, because he was slating Eric but luckily the bugger didn't see me. Near the end of the game i saw i young teenager trying to get Section F to sing the Championees song but only the back row did but i thought the F section wasn't to bad apart from that guy slating EO but Section G and behind the goal as well as the majority of school kids which were in a section of the away end deserve a 10 out of 10 for atmosphere as from what i could hear, they were singing throughout most of the match :huh: :( . By the way i was in Row C of the F section for anyone who wants to know :D :D .

There were three old farts sitting in Row L, Section E that really were determined to spoil the atmosphere for everyone by actually telling us to shut up while we were singing songs.

If you read this gentlemen, might I suggest the Main Stand next season? Maybe leave your angry daughter and her spineless husband at home next time too, eh?

Wow! I didnt realise that 'Care in the Community' would allow Tourettes sufferers to use a computer. And you managed to type a whole sentence without using foul and abusive language, more than you have managed in any other match I have attended.

There were three old farts sitting in Row L, Section E that really were determined to spoil the atmosphere for everyone by actually telling us to shut up while we were singing songs.

If you read this gentlemen, might I suggest the Main Stand next season? Maybe leave your angry daughter and her spineless husband at home next time too, eh?

Wow! I didnt realise that 'Care in the Community' would allow Tourettes sufferers to use a computer. And you managed to type a whole sentence without using foul and abusive language, more than you have managed in any other match I have attended.

Wait a minute "onapositivenote". I take it that you have just signed up to counter allegations of intolerance? If so, sarcasm and innacuracy might not be the best tack. There is no such thing as a body called "care in the community" and people with tourette's suffer from an illness far removed from the public (mis) conception of it. Please wind your neck back in, and I would have to point out that you were at a football match, some intemperate language might be expected?

edited for clarity

Edited by davie

What's that I hear?

*rustle* *rustle*

{Renegade reaches for popcorn}

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

indeed

In all honesty, I have to say that the last match I attended (Ross County at the TCS in August of this season) was pretty subdued. I sat in the main stand, above the tunnel, in more or less the same location where I used to have my season tickets and I know that the people around there are not naturally subdued ... as we climbed the leagues, this section was great fun and there were always some cracking retorts, comments or shouts coming from there and we also joined in with chants ......

This time it was like a 'forced' environment. I discussed it with a few and was told "times have changed". People felt it wasnt worth it to get loud or to shout things (even clean things) or to stand up or chant as they would have stewards or police on them for one reason or another and it just wasnt worth it. There are plenty of people in all parts of the ground who would like to get an atmosphere going, they just cant ... either because of a mild form of oppression or because those around them put peer pressure on them to sit down and shut up (as witnessed by various comments in this thread).

I hope the club - via Kenny - can take some things on board, and I think they will, but every time I think about the atmosphere at that derby game .... our first against County at the TCS in the league for 5 years, I also think back to what I experienced a week before and a week after watching Toronto FC.

20,000+ fans in the stadium, a club that designates certain sections as 'supporters sections' where they actually tell ticket purchasers "this area will be loud, this area will have people standing, this area will have banners ... if you want somewhere quieter, please let us know and we will change over your ticket". I know the rules are different over here regarding standing and such like but the club do encourage fans to be loud and exuberant in certain sections and accomodate the quieter ones in other more 'corporate' sections .... I wonder if that could be made to work at the TCS ?

I wonder how much this has to do with the lack of "football people" being on the inside of ICT. Most of these people who make the rules and should be encouraging an atmosphere really have no interest doing. They are only interested and are only involved in the money side of things. They are not interested in the atmosphere side - but that is not their jurisdiction. From what I can see, the crowd's noise and atmosphere (bar Saturday's "party") is of no interest to them. They do not nor will they care, of crowd enjoyment. After all, they don't sit with the regular supporters in the North Stand, or anywhere else, out with the confines of their black comfy leather seats filled are, sat on by, first and foremost, big money paying supporters, and suit wearing businessmen.

So where to now? Do we the supporters ignore the tutting and insults of the quiet, churchy, library-esque-loving environment of some of the (usually pensioner aged) supporters and make a stand once and for all that we are the core support and we shall do as we please, without the fear of insults or grief from dim grey supporters or power hungry cowboys in fluorescent yellow jackets? Or do we make a stand to the club, that this is the way we want things done and we want it done our way? After all, more than the players or the business-based staff - we are the club. We've moved as one before, and we successfully removed a manager who should never have been there in the first place. We need to use that power again and we DO have the power, we ARE the power.

I wonder how much this has to do with the lack of "football people" being on the inside of ICT. Most of these people who make the rules and should be encouraging an atmosphere really have no interest doing. They are only interested and are only involved in the money side of things. They are not interested in the atmosphere side - but that is not their jurisdiction. From what I can see, the crowd's noise and atmosphere (bar Saturday's "party") is of no interest to them. They do not nor will they care, of crowd enjoyment. After all, they don't sit with the regular supporters in the North Stand, or anywhere else, out with the confines of their black comfy leather seats filled are, sat on by, first and foremost, big money paying supporters, and suit wearing businessmen.

So where to now? Do we the supporters ignore the tutting and insults of the quiet, churchy, library-esque-loving environment of some of the (usually pensioner aged) supporters and make a stand once and for all that we are the core support and we shall do as we please, without the fear of insults or grief from dim grey supporters or power hungry cowboys in fluorescent yellow jackets? Or do we make a stand to the club, that this is the way we want things done and we want it done our way? After all, more than the players or the business-based staff - we are the club. We've moved as one before, and we successfully removed a manager who should never have been there in the first place. We need to use that power again and we DO have the power, we ARE the power.

Good call. The players knew what was going to happen on saturday and the look on their faces in the dying minutes of the game said it all as the north stand nearly spilled onto the pitch during a corner! Do you think that the players would have preffered a few claps from the main stand? We are at serious risk of becoming like those sunken faced Aberdeen fans at pittodrie that applaud throw ins and go back to checking the scores on their phones when there team isn't winning. As supportors we are welcoming yet we are frowned upon for our encouragement. It's time something was done.

I think you need to look broader ..... Perhaps not all, but I would definitely say most of the people 'inside' ICT are indeed 'football people' but it is not them who make the rules ......

The rules are dictated by national football authorities. Some of them are there own 'silly' rules but many are made under pressure from government or world football bodies. This trickle down effect means that the clubs are usually just the messenger in announcing and enforcing what is and is not acceptable.

My own issue is that they try to use very specific events - Heysel, Hillsborough, Bradford to name but three - to apply a single solution to a broad canvas where sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesnt and they tie it all up in a nice little package called "health and safety". Some of the recommendations of various reports make sense, but a little more common sense in applying others - such as allowing safe standing areas or providing an area where smokers can go for a quick puff at HT so they dont try and sneak one furtively might make the matchday experience more enjoyable for some.

ICT cannot apply those kind of policies on their own - they would be stamped on by the SFA / SFL / SPL or by the Police or Fire or others involved in issuing safety certificates etc ... They simply have to work within the rules they are given.

First you need to acknowledge the rights of all supporters to enjoy the game as they see fit. Some people like to go, sit down, and watch the game. It was the same in the HFL ... The Howden End for most folk, but the stand for the suits or those who wanted to just sit and enjoy the game quietly.

"make a stand once and for all that we are the core support" - sorry can't agree ... there are just as many of the so-called 'sweetie rustlers' that are "core" supporters and have been since 1994 (or earlier with Caley or Thistle). you are no better and no worse than any other supporter, the issue is that you would like to enjoy the game in a different manner than others.

"this is the way we want things done and we want it done our way" - That kind of attitude which oozes a sense of extreme entitlement will get you precisely nowhere. It smacks of arrogance and if presented with that ultimatum most people who are in a position to make a decision will push back against it. what you need to do is come up with alternatives and present a plan to the club to see if they can - under the rules - accomodate some or all of your 'demands'. Make them requests rather than demands and do it through a legitimate body like the Supporters Trust and you stand far more of a chance than going about demanding things because it is your right !

I gave you one suggestion - designated supporters sections like Toronto FC. I dont know if its workable at the TCS or not given the economies of scale but if thats not viable, put your thinking cap on and come up with something that is and then work with the club to try and achieve it. We have had quite enough confrontations for one (or two) seasons and although ultimately you are right that fan power may have tipped the scales in removing Brewster and installing Butcher, dont kid yourself that it was the only factor.

I have high hopes for things behind the scenes in the coming season. It is a club that seems to have realised it needs to work with the fans more closely - as it once did - and we as fans need to reciprocate in working with the club again rather than making everything a confrontation.

In all honesty, I have to say that the last match I attended (Ross County at the TCS in August of this season) was pretty subdued. I sat in the main stand, above the tunnel, in more or less the same location where I used to have my season tickets and I know that the people around there are not naturally subdued ... as we climbed the leagues, this section was great fun and there were always some cracking retorts, comments or shouts coming from there and we also joined in with chants ......

That was one of the few games I've been to this season and I was sat above the tunnel as well. Did you see the bloke who stood up to clap a County sub as he went off? Another guy behind him stood up and was furious with him. Pointing, snarling, yelling abuse. The people around him had to calm him down and some of us were yelling at him to stop being such a prat. Then at the end the first bloke was leaving and the second one stopped him and tried to hit him but they were separated. I don't know if he was a lost County fan or not but he was wearing an ICT shirt, so why did he applaud their sub? Also the other guy was a complete tool for mouthing off like that. There were plenty of kids around from what I could see. Did you see any of that incident?

Sorry, bit off topic I know but just seemed to ruin it completely for me, more so than the defeat, which in all honesty we deserved.

That was one of the few games I've been to this season and I was sat above the tunnel as well. Did you see the bloke who stood up to clap a County sub as he went off? Another guy behind him stood up and was furious with him. Pointing, snarling, yelling abuse. The people around him had to calm him down and some of us were yelling at him to stop being such a prat. Then at the end the first bloke was leaving and the second one stopped him and tried to hit him but they were separated. I don't know if he was a lost County fan or not but he was wearing an ICT shirt, so why did he applaud their sub? Also the other guy was a complete tool for mouthing off like that. There were plenty of kids around from what I could see. Did you see any of that incident?

Sorry, bit off topic I know but just seemed to ruin it completely for me, more so than the defeat, which in all honesty we deserved.

Actually, that is not quite correct. I know exactly who you are talking about and the person you are referring to (the one who snarled) is a good friend of mine and there is more to the story than you might have witnessed.

The person he 'snarled' at had been slating ICT players and management all through the game (I heard it with my own ears and almost said/shouted something to the guy myself). He then chose to sarcastically applaud Vigurs (i think) off the pitch whilst continuing to make derogatory comments about ICT/Butcher. Admittedly, my friend's reaction - as a diehard home and away ICT supporter - was a bit OTT, he admits that himself, and it was probably as a result of us playing as badly as we did that day, but after that incident he calmed down and nothing more would have happened if it hadnt been for the guy down the front stirring it further as he left.

As far as my friend going to hit the guy, you clearly did not hear what was said as the first guy went past him a few minutes before the end of the game .... He basically invited a square go, told him he was going to be waiting for him so he could kick the **** out of him, and made some additional comments that got the reaction he was wanting .... I was sitting in the row behind and I can tell you it nearly got me off my seat too !!! He wasnt waiting, but I do wonder what his reaction might have been when faced with the likes of myself, Big Stew and one or two other big lads who my friend was giving a lift back to the pub after the game :lol: ...... Suffice to say that the stewards came to speak to my friend shortly after the other guy left and assured him that it was not him in the wrong for the stairway altercation, even if he was OTT when shouting at the guy.

Actually, that is not quite correct. I know exactly who you are talking about and the person you are referring to (the one who snarled) is a good friend of mine and there is more to the story than you might have witnessed.

The person he 'snarled' at had been slating ICT players and management all through the game (I heard it with my own ears and almost said/shouted something to the guy myself). He then chose to sarcastically applaud Vigurs (i think) off the pitch whilst continuing to make derogatory comments about ICT/Butcher. Admittedly, my friend's reaction - as a diehard home and away ICT supporter - was a bit OTT, he admits that himself, and it was probably as a result of us playing as badly as we did that day, but after that incident he calmed down and nothing more would have happened if it hadnt been for the guy down the front stirring it further as he left.

As far as my friend going to hit the guy, you clearly did not hear what was said as the first guy went past him a few minutes before the end of the game .... He basically invited a square go, told him he was going to be waiting for him so he could kick the **** out of him, and made some additional comments that got the reaction he was wanting .... I was sitting in the row behind and I can tell you it nearly got me off my seat too !!! He wasnt waiting, but I do wonder what his reaction might have been when faced with the likes of myself, Big Stew and one or two other big lads who my friend was giving a lift back to the pub after the game :lol: ...... Suffice to say that the stewards came to speak to my friend shortly after the other guy left and assured him that it was not him in the wrong for the stairway altercation, even if he was OTT when shouting at the guy.

Ah ok, apologies for any misinterpretations. Sounds like the other bloke was a bit of a WUM, or perhaps he'd had a few. Might have been a County fan snuck into the home end. Is he a regular at matches? I did see the stewards and a copper down by the tunnel watching the commotion but I didn't see them speaking to him after the game, I got up and left pretty sharpish to avoid congestion. Didn't work out that way, got stuck on Longman Drive for half an hour after spending an equal amount of time in the car park ;)

First you need to acknowledge the rights of all supporters to enjoy the game as they see fit. Some people like to go, sit down, and watch the game. It was the same in the HFL ... The Howden End for most folk, but the stand for the suits or those who wanted to just sit and enjoy the game quietly.

Agreed, that's high with any reforms made to encourage an atmosphere a "Quiet" or "Family Zone" (like the existing one) should be installed and those who want to sit and watch without fear singing, swear words and other excitable behaviour.

"make a stand once and for all that we are the core support" - sorry can't agree ... there are just as many of the so-called 'sweetie rustlers' that are "core" supporters and have been since 1994 (or earlier with Caley or Thistle). you are no better and no worse than any other supporter, the issue is that you would like to enjoy the game in a different manner than others.

I don't support that attitude either, but respect and leniency must come from both sides.

"this is the way we want things done and we want it done our way" - That kind of attitude which oozes a sense of extreme entitlement will get you precisely nowhere. It smacks of arrogance and if presented with that ultimatum most people who are in a position to make a decision will push back against it. what you need to do is come up with alternatives and present a plan to the club to see if they can - under the rules - accomodate some or all of your 'demands'. Make them requests rather than demands and do it through a legitimate body like the Supporters Trust and you stand far more of a chance than going about demanding things because it is your right !

I gave you one suggestion - designated supporters sections like Toronto FC. I dont know if its workable at the TCS or not given the economies of scale but if thats not viable, put your thinking cap on and come up with something that is and then work with the club to try and achieve it. We have had quite enough confrontations for one (or two) seasons and although ultimately you are right that fan power may have tipped the scales in removing Brewster and installing Butcher, dont kid yourself that it was the only factor.

1. TFC have the right attitude. Encouraging support and noise is all part of the game........for those who want it. Right now, it is not encouraged at ICT, rather it is looked down upon by both the club and some rather dim supporters. I would like ICT to be like the BMO Field, ie- a rocking fun house! And for those who don't, quiet zones should be set up. Let those who both want "their way" to be accommodated in such a fashion.

2. Brewster issue again. In short, yes fan power was a factor but I believe it was probably a far far bigger factor than anything else, including results. That's a different issue though, but does show that a fan power does work.

I have high hopes for things behind the scenes in the coming season. It is a club that seems to have realised it needs to work with the fans more closely - as it once did - and we as fans need to reciprocate in working with the club again rather than making everything a confrontation.

As do I.

Edited by Renegade

For once I'm in agreement with Renegade. A quiet section is needed IMHO. If people get their enjoyment from sitting down and being entertained by the match I've got no problems with that. This whole situation never arises at away games though - can anyone explain why that's the case?

Should have never put me with that bloomin' woman... Who's idea was that? It was just ridiculous! She was just a sort of bigoted woman!

Perhaps you should inform your husband that he should be taking a more active role in telling you to pipe down in future when you're spoiling it for the rest?

Should have never put me with that bloomin' woman... Who's idea was that? It was just ridiculous! She was just a sort of bigoted woman!

Perhaps you should inform your husband that he should be taking a more active role in telling you to pipe down in future when you're spoiling it for the rest?

LOL

She's a NED (Non Educated Delinquent) and her husbands embarrassed. I've really had enough of these folk. It's a football match. Did anyone hear Tokely's language at the weekend? I hope he doesn't sign a contract.