Jonny Tuffey

Libero

CALEY Thistle manager Terry Butcher has turned his attention to Partick Thistle goalkeeper Jonny Tuffey as Ryan Esson dithers on his contract offer from the club.

full story here

Personally i'd be delighted to see Esson sign a new contract but if he doesnt i think Tuffey would make a good replacement.

We still need a number 2 as well!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One player who will not be making a return to Caledonian Stadium, however, is goalkeeper Michael Fraser, with Butcher ruling out a move for the player who left a year ago to join Motherwell.

:(

Butcher strikes me as a loyal man, if you show loyalty to him and the club he will return that!! Mick did a runner on us when it didnt look to good for us... haha Ryan got the last laugh there !! hes more of a hero.

With Tuffey only being 23 will Partick not be entitled to compenstaion??

From the SPL Rules and Regulations:

Compensation

D11.1 Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of 24 (amended to the age of 23 effective 1st September 2007)

Compensation

D11.1 Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of 24 (amended to the age of 23 effective 1st September 2007)

I read the words but they do not compute :lol:

Compensation

I read the words but they do not compute :lol:

exactly the same as me. i read it about 6 times and still couldnt make head nor tail out of it! :lol:

I've also read it 6 times, and my interpretation is that no compensation is actually payable, but Partick will get their lawyers ("who believe they have a very good case") to take it to court, and then when they lose that, take it to a further appeal, leaving us in limbo over the summer.

I was sure it was only the club who trained the player (gave their first pro contract) who received compo if signed on bosman before the age of 24.

If not leave him well a lone .. give Esson the contract and use the money that we save on Bob Harris :rolleyes:

If not leave him well a lone .. give Esson the contract and use the money that we save on Bob Harris :rolleyes:

Your hellbent on the idea of Harris, ain't you Chibber, tbh i agree.

But back on topic though...i do hope Esson stays but if he dosen't i certainly don't see it being a downfall if we bring in Tuffey, tbh i don't think we would get a better replacement...and on a free!

Like many others, I too hope Ryan Esson re-signs for us. Maybe Terry is using his 'interest in Tuffey' merely as a spur for Ryan to make his mind up. Does Esson have other offers he is considering anyway? If not, why is he delaying? As far as I can see, if Esson does go, then Tuffey would be a very capable replacement. But, presumably if Tuffey is free on June 1, then potentially he will have other offers as well, so we could miss out on both of them. Tell me I'm just being paranoid!

If not leave him well a lone .. give Esson the contract and use the money that we save on Bob Harris :)

Your hellbent on the idea of Harris, ain't you Chibber, tbh i agree.

But back on topic though...i do hope Esson stays but if he dosen't i certainly don't see it being a downfall if we bring in Tuffey, tbh i don't think we would get a better replacement...and on a free!

:rolleyes:

It's just a phase.. I'll get over it eventually

Compensation

:rolleyes:

It is not very clear ...... Tuffey celebrated his 23rd birthday in January of this year (during the 09/10 season) so if someone bought him during the transfer window or at the end of the season then it reads like there is definitely some compo due.

However, the use of the word "at" makes it very murky ....... what is "at or before the end of the first season ...." ??? How long does "at" last? When does "at the end of 09/10 season" become "at the beginning of 10/11 season" and does that remove the obligation to pay compo? Also ... those rules are from the SPL handbook ..... does this match the SFL, SFA, UEFA and FIFA handbooks ??? If any of those still say 24 then the previous club could argue the case more easily ......

Great keeper and would be nice to see him at ICT but the easier route with less pitfalls and potential paperwork snafus is to redouble the efforts to retain our existing keeper who is also great !!!!