The Official World Cup Thread

Renegade

Disappointing to see so many South African supporters leaving early from the match tonight. It's the world cup for heaven's sake! Seeing so many leaving early must have been just the kind of inspiration their team needed.

Uruguay looked pretty decent though. One of the few plusses in an otherwise disappointing World Cup so far.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't really know if you could call it spectacular underachievement. They've never really had a team capable of winning it, with the exception of Italia '90. The Dutch and Spanish have much more to answer for.

Well, look at it this way. Since 1966 when England fluked it with home advantage and a shocking decision, they've won FA whilst the WC and Euro winners have included:

France

Spain

Germany

Italy

(who we all acknowledge as good teams, but why should they fare any better than England, who have had the strongest league over the last 20 years and many superb players?)

But also:

Czech

Netherlands

Denmark

Greece

England haven't even reached a final in all that time, despite qualifying for the vast majority of tournaments.

I would also add that recent World Cup semi-finalists since England last got that far in 1990 include:

Sweden

Croatia

Turkey

S Korea

Bulgaria

Since Spain broke their duck a couple of years ago, there is surely no major footballing nation to have achieved so little.

Watched the Chile v Honduras game earlier (I haven't missed a game yet!), and thought Chile looked good. Real fast paced, attacking stuff, something that's been lacked in the World Cup so far.

Who is the BORING Irish man on BBC sport introducing the match... watched the Nigeria game against Greece and thought all you guys said about Hansen, Dixon was true, load of drivel spoken

Rant over

That's that Colin Murray. Some DJ off Radio 1 and used to do the Channel 5 games.

Oh, and by the way, has anyone been listening to Chris Moyles's "Comedy Commentary"? No, I haven't neither.

One of the few plusses in an otherwise disappointing World Cup so far.

Is this the consensus? I thought it's been a pretty decent WC, so far. One or two duff matches but pretty decent overall.

Doofer's Mum thinks the World Cup is very disappointing - but that's because she had to cut the lawn whilst I watched the South Africa game last night.

The Irish must have mixed emotions. Good to see France get gubbed but the fact that they were so poor and seem to have so little desire to be there must surely have grated with the Irish to whom being there would have meant so much. The lack of passion shown by the French was just unbelievable - whoever takes over as the new coach should start from scratch and not let any of that shower pull on the national shirt again.

After tomorrow night it might be difficult being English but at least I will have the consolation of not being French.

On a more positive note it was good positive play from all the winning sides today and that bodes well for the knock out stages.

Foran, Hayes and Rooney must have enjoyed the France v Mexico game. 0-2 and a Uruguay v Mexico draw puts cheating France out. :D :) :clapping03:

Is it not the case though, that Uruguay and Mexico just need to draw their game for them both to go through? If that is the case then expect 90 minutes of neither side trying to score with easy slow passing to each with a few kicky uppys just for good measure.

The way things are shaping up, assuming England top their piss easy group they are likely to play:

Last 16 : Ghana/Serbia or Australia

QF : S Korea/Greece/Mexico or Uruguay

These teams are no mugs, but a route all the way to the Semi without having to face any of the world's top 10 ranked sides?

The way things are shaping up, assuming England top their piss easy group they are likely to play:

Last 16 : Ghana/Serbia or Australia

QF : S Korea/Greece/Mexico or Uruguay

These teams are no mugs, but a route all the way to the Semi without having to face any of the world's top 10 ranked sides?

As it stands, they may not top their group and could face

Last 16: Germany/Ghana/Serbia

QF: Argentina or Uruguay/Mexico

even if they do top their group, they could still face the Germans who were brought back down to earth a bit today !

grabbed the graphic below from the FIFA site to save having to switch back and forth ....

post-2-1276871914_thumb.png