Saints want Kaizer Chief

Ivy League

Saints want Kaizer Chief

By Stuart Gillespie Tuesday, 27th July 2010

Saints are believed to be in a three way battle to sign former Kaizer Cheifs defender Gordon Gilbert. The 27-year-old is also attracting interest from Inverness Caley Thistle and Dundee, where he is currently on trial.

Gilbert can play in the centre of defence or at leftback and started his career with St. Johnstone. He also had a spell at East Fife before moving to South Africa, the country of his birth. As well as playing for the Kaizer Chiefs - not the band - he has also starred for the fantastically named MP Black Aces and Moroka Swallows.

He can't be that bad a player if Dundee and Caley Thistle are interested in bringing him in but, unless someone is leaving, do we really need another defender?

Story source: The Courier

http://www.stmirren-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/saints_want_kaizer_chief_540546/index.shtml

A Dundee fan was telling me that he watched the Kaiser play central defence in their 4-1 win at Forfar last night. Said he was big and commanding, shouting and organising the defence. The Dee fans there were keen on signing him.

• 5 months later...

There is only one team in Scotland who are 'The Saints'. St. Mirren's official nickname is 'The Buddies' whereas St. Johnstone's is and always has been the Saints.

It's like calling Inverness 'Caley'. Some would take offence to that and would perhaps prefer 'The Caley Jags'.

Edited by Coggiebob

St Mirren are the "Jakies", whereas St Johnstone are the "Saints". ICT are Caley, Thistle, Caley Thistle, ICT, Caley Jags, Inverness, etc.. You are not an ICT fan are you, Cogs?

No I'm not, but believe it or not I've always had a soft spot for Inverness. I thought it was great when finally a professional team came from your area. I was fed up for years of the same old attitude that fitba' should be played in the Central Belt. Perth is the gateway to the Highlands not Stirling and I'm proud of that. The vast majority of people in Perth class theirselves as North Scotland and as such have contempt for the South, especially concerning fitba'!