US Open

tm4tj

Guest Mahonio

Andy had no trouble getting through on Arthur Ashe Court today, losing serve only once. :twothumbsup::twothumbsup:

IMHO, Murray has to play aggressive, like he did in Toronto, if he is to win the comp because Federer was in good form as well. He may well have taken confidence now that Tomas Berdych is out because he would have been an opponent later on.

A quick US Open update, our former manager, Sergei Baltacha's daughter Elena loses in 2nd round to Wimbledon semi-finalist Petra Kvitova 7-6(7-5), 6-3. Also defending Champion, Kim Clijsters hammers Sally Peers 6-2, 6-1.

Other scores that may interest you are: Dustin Brown bt Ramirez Hidalgo 6-4, 7-6, 7-5 and sets up match with our very own Andy and Venus Williams beats Marino of Canada 7-6, 6-3.

Feel free to ask me anything Tennis related as i LOVE the game :twothumbsup:

Guest Mahonio

Am i the only one on this forum who likes Tennis, in fact make that Loves Tennis?

Anyway moving on, another straight sets win against Dustin Brown 7-5, 6-3, 6-0.

He has Stan Wawrinka next, who took him to 5 sets at Wimbledon las year so this should be a toughy for Murray but i predict a 3-1 win for Andy.

Am i the only one on this forum who likes Tennis, in fact make that Loves Tennis?

He has Stan Wawrinka next, who took him to 5 sets at Wimbledon las year so this should be a toughy for Murray but i predict a 3-1 win for Andy.

Fear not Mahonio, you have a fellow tennis lover here, both in terms of playing and watching.

I'm a Rafa fan and Fernando Gonzalez too, although as a very patriotic Scot I always want Murray to win, no matter who he plays.

Do you play, Mahonio ?

Murray having a job with the power of Stan at the moment. Tight match, could go either way, 1 set all at the moment, but Stan threatening to pull ahead.

Murray's body language tells me he is doomed.

2-1 to Stan in sets now.

Murray is playing poor, returning poorly, serving poorly and generally playing poorly, being bullied by Wawrinka.

Edited by tm4tj

Guest Mahonio

Fear not Mahonio, you have a fellow tennis lover here, both in terms of playing and watching.

I'm a Rafa fan and Fernando Gonzalez too, although as a very patriotic Scot I always want Murray to win, no matter who he plays.

Do you play, Mahonio ?

I haven't played for a few years but want to get back playing but it isn't easy when there's only 1 court here in Thurso and that is only open in the Summer, which is when all the golfing tournaments are so it isn't easy to get time off.

Getting back to the US open, Stevie's favourite goes through in Straight sets against Gilles Simon and looks in good form but in disappointing circumstances, Stan Wawrinka beats Murray 6-7, 7-6, 6-3, 6-3 :cry::cry:.

1st Set: Wawrinka broke to lead 3-1 and held that break advantage until 5-4 where Murray breaks for 5-4, next 3 games are held for 6-6 and a breaker to decide the set. Murray wins that by 7-3.

2nd Set: Murray starts well and breaks to lead 3-0 but Wawrinka gets 3 games of his own to level at 3-3, and breaks again and holds to open up a 5-3 lead, Wawrinka again breaks back and holds to level up the set at 5-5 and the next 2 games are held by each player to take us into a 2nd set breaker. Wawrinka takes that one 7-4 and levels the match at 1 set all. Murray must be kicking himself because he led 3-0 and 5-3 in that set and still loses it on the tie break.

3rd set: This is the set with all the drama!! First, Murray breaks at the start to lead 1-0 but is immediately broken for 1-1 and then Stan takes the next 3 to lead 4-1. At the change of ends Murray calls trainer for a quad (where ever that is) injury. Next Wawrinka calls the trainer, in the middle of a game where Murray is up 40-15, for a thigh injury. Murray eventually held serve in that game as did each man all the way through that set which means Stan leads 2-1 in sets.

4th Set: Wawrinka breaks twice(games 5 and 9) to take the match but Murray looked finished physically at 4-1 down in the 3rd and in fact i was shouting at the telly telling him to retire when he got broken in the 4th set.

Looks like it on last nights showing. The usual stuff, some great shots, lots of unforced errors and outhit by Wawrinka. Body language gave it away.

He looked like running away with it in the second set, then started making wrong choice shots. His serving was dire and his general demeanour was stinky. He still was serving for the second set and if he won that Wawrinka would probably have crumbled, but when he never got the quick hit, he seemed to lose his belief that he could win and was eventually overpowered.

So much for being in great shape for the tournament. He better get a top coach in soon or he will never ever win a grand slam, maybe needs IHE to work on his mind.

Guest Mahonio

Is Andy Murray destined to become the Colin Mongomery of tennis?

NO.

I wish people would stop doubting the guy and that was a stupid question caley100 because he has got to 2 finals and got beaten by THE BEST PLAYER OF THIS TIME in both finals and remember he did have a injury a set and a half which Wawrinka pounced on.

All he needs is a good coach like Larry Stefanki or Darren Cahill (these are the 2 i say he should pick from by the way) who can improve his 2nd serve and all round game and someone who can help him with his lack of self belief which was evident form his interview when he said "I don't know if i'll ever win a slam" but just because he said that doesn't mean he won't win one.

caley100, you will regret asking that WHEN he DOES win one, one day :irritated: :irritated: .

My feelings on Andy Murray :-

Well first and foremost I am so proud that this guy is Scottish playing at the level he is. Imagine if someone had said 10 years ago that Scotland would have a player consistantly in the top 5 !

He is a fantastic tennis player.

If I'm honest though, I'm not sure he will win a slam. Simply because I feel Nadal, Federer and possibly Djokovic, on form, are better, and by god, that is no disgrace !

I know that Andy has won some Masters but when it comes down to the majors, the big boys are ready.

Interestingly I don't see anybody coming through at the moment who you'd say is going to be a no.1, so if Andy can outlast Nadal fitness wise (highly possible) then I'd say he has a chance, especially as he has a few years on Roger.

I really hope he can take a slam but I certainly don't see it happening soon.

Is Andy Murray destined to become the Colin Mongomery of tennis?

Steady on! Give the lad a break! For a start his body mass index is far too low!

What does concern me about Andy Murray is that he will become the next victim of the Scottish Affliction i.e. a fatal tendency to overstate expectations of success.

Scottish history is littered with examples of it.

Flodden - 1513

Darien - 1698

Argentina - 1978

And very nearly Liechtenstein 2010.

Central to the problem is a tendency to underrate the opposition, usually England but in 1978 Peru and Iran, and to overrate the Scottish contender.

Murray is a good enough player who has done very well but must be getting pretty fed up of the Scotland Expects syndrome.