Melville / Dundee / 25pt Deduction

ymip

Remember that this is aclub where the Supporters Turst owned 25% of the club and had representatives on the board!

Alan Sugar said in an interview the other week that if clubs that go bust don't have a benefactor come in and clear the debts they should, in his words, "go back to Hackney Marshes and start again". The fact that football clubs tend to get bailed out perhaps encourages the ego boost risk taking from guys like Melville.

Fan representation at Board level counts for very little under a private business setup as they are bound by the same confidentiality problems as any other Board member of any private business and they can't take any conversation/information in to the public domain without the permission of the majority of the rest of the Board. There's also the fact that many of these fans reps on Club Boards are selected by the Boards and not by the fans.

Clubs allow it because it gives them a bit of positive PR and because the appointed person can then be used to take the heat of the rest of them by becoming the single point of contact, and because when things go t*ts up the situation can be used to undermine Supporters Trusts by saying "They had someone on the Club Board and it made no difference".

It's all just politics.

I wonder if Brian Kerr wishes he gambled and taken the 1 year contract we offered him after we were relegated.

I will be dissapointed if Dundee go out of buisness as it is yet another club going out of buisness due to financial problems. Sure the wrong decisions get made and the club gets burnt but its the fans who imo suffer the most. They lose their club, some lose the club they have supported all their lives, some lose the club they have just started supporting.

If you like football you need a team to support and losing your team would be quite an upsetting situation for many fans.

• Agree 2

I hope that Dundee can somehow escape extinction but it certainly looks bleak for them. Scotland can ill afford to lose a proper club with a decent fanbase. Unfortunately, I fear this could be the first of many to disappear off the footballing map of Scotland.

as a side note, why are Dundee in the SPL section of the BBC sport website, and not the Scottish League section :offtopic01::getmecoat:

anyway, it's a shame such a club has not learnt from their mistakes of 7 years ago. I personally can't help but feel for the staff behind the scenes, the fans or even some of the players, whilst having a cheeky wee snigger at those who thought money would buy success.

That side of Dundee FC (i.e. the arrogance and attitude) are what have ultimately brought the club to it's knees.

Just my opinion

• Agree 1

I wonder if Butcher will try and bring back Brian Kerr. Not saying i want him. Im quite content with our current midfield but Tel has signed him a couple of times and may want to help him out again.

Think I'd be right in saying that when this happened with Pompy that they got a dispensation to sell players outwith the transfer window, onder if that will happen with Dundee, although I'm sure that a player like Griffiths would appeal to 'bigger' SPL clubs like Hearts, Hibs & Utd maybe even some english teams, which would probably clear some of the debt in one go. Also sure a few other young players ould be worth some cash, they must have enough assets in terms of playing staff to clear the 350k debts?

Think I'd be right in saying that when this happened with Pompy that they got a dispensation to sell players outwith the transfer window, onder if that will happen with Dundee, although I'm sure that a player like Griffiths would appeal to 'bigger' SPL clubs like Hearts, Hibs & Utd maybe even some english teams, which would probably clear some of the debt in one go. Also sure a few other young players ould be worth some cash, they must have enough assets in terms of playing staff to clear the 350k debts?

The 350k is a tax bill, i think their overall debt is about 2 million.

I wonder if Butcher will try and bring back Brian Kerr. Not saying i want him. Im quite content with our current midfield but Tel has signed him a couple of times and may want to help him out again.

I'd be very surprised if Brian would even consider coming back. Contrary to what many would like to think Brian did not leave for money. He was released by ICT as part of the relegation changes.