Does anyone remember Daisy Ross?

tokelyisvictorious

I well remember Daisy's debut at Grant Street when he ran rings around the County defence. Did Mike Teasdale not make his debut in that game too?

Sad to report that in recent years, Daisy's mental health has suffered to the extent that I saw him at the Scottish Cup Final this year wearing a County shirt. Old age doesn't come by itself and all that. :laugh:

Daisy was something else, all legs on the park, could never be described as a graceful player but always put 100% in. Thats what made him a fans favourite.

Off the park too he was great fun, met him way before he signed for caley at Scotland away games with his kinlochbervie friends but the less said about that the better!!!!!!!!!

I well remember Daisy's debut at Grant Street when he ran rings around the County defence. Did Mike Teasdale not make his debut in that game too?

Are you sure that was Daisy's ICT debut DJS? It was certainly Mike Teasdale's debut that day and Brian Thomson's also and they both went straight into the team. I have no recollection about it being Daisy's debut but you may well be right.

Are you sure that was Daisy's ICT debut DJS? It was certainly Mike Teasdale's debut that day and Brian Thomson's also and they both went straight into the team. I have no recollection about it being Daisy's debut but you may well be right.

I'm sure Daisy's debut would have been the first game of that season (95-96) as he signed in the summer, if memory serves (I was only 10 at the time).

Edited by MabawswaRichie

I'm sure Daisy's debut would have been the first game of that season (95-96) as he signed in the summer, if memory serves (I was only 10 at the time).

Mabawswa... thanks for that suggestion which I have been able to check up and confirm from Ian Broadfoot's season by season summary on the official site.

Tokelyisvictorious is quite right when he says that there is very limited information on the internet. When I tried to google "Daisy Ross" all I got was a few references to people genuinely called that... and several links to this thread!

And a variety of "David Rosses" are there in numbers.

As a result I can't find out when Daisy left ICT to go to Ross County despite a certain amount of (but by no means exhaustive) trawling through Ian's summaries. I could guess that it might have been about 1999 or 2000?

He went on loan to County at the end of season 97/98 and the move was then made permanent that summer.

As long ago as that! It's strange how time passes since it feels as if it was more recently and it also feels as if Daisy was at ICT for longer than the three years which Caley D has revealed that it was.

It's interesting, though, that Daisy is another of these players that the fans simply don't have a bad word for - and very rightly so!

Edited by Charles Bannerman

I knew him from his county days. He went out wi a lass i was in school with and may still be with her for all i know, met him a few times when they were out together, and he always seemed a decent guy too. always had time to speak, and that was before he was at Caley..

As some of you will know i often bang the drum about having no complaints over a result as long as I get value for money entertainment-wise and 100% effort and commitment from the players. Now Daisy never let you down on that score. Never our most skillful player , he was nevertheless a deserved fans favourite. Good memories!

• Agree 1

I last saw him playing for Clach in a pre-season friendly in Portree. I think Clach were HL Champions then, so it must have been the year we first won promotion to the SPL (but it's just too late at night to remember which year) :sleep:

• 3 weeks later...

Ive not been on for long enough but was prompted by a mate who knows my connections to Daisy. He was playing with Brora last season although he was trying to hang the boots up. Despite requests he hung his boots up for good in the Highland league at the end of last season for golf and other challenges.

As a challenge for this year I trained with him with a view to running the Ben Nevis race in September and we practised by running up and down Ben Wyvis which incidentally he remembers doing 10 years previously in pre season training with County.

He is clearly still extremely fit and completed the Ben Nevis race in approx 2 hours 18 minutes which is some effort. I can also confirm that despite his recent sighting in a county top, he is a Caley fan first and foremost and was actually at the County game with his daughters who support County. He is a supporter of Northern football though. I can also confirm he has never owned a Rolls Royce or Ferrari!! I just read all the threads and I will let him know but I'm sure he will appreciate the nice comments that have been posted.

• Agree 1

A legend of a man! I remember him getting smashed in Dows when I worked there with (i think it was) Alex Bone, he was a lovely man. Even pi55ed as a f@rt he was still polite and well mannered.

For some reason I thought he'd scored more than 10 for us though!

Errrr, let's just say you would fall into the elderly category.

Charles was elderly when I was in school and that was over 15 years ago! :nanananana:

• 5 years later...
On 12/10/2010 at 11:48 AM, tokelyisvictorious said:

Anyone remember Daisy Ross? I have only seen him play once, was he any good for Elgin or Caley?

On 13/10/2010 at 9:55 PM, Charles Bannerman said:

For my money, Daisy's finest hour was in the 1995 Inverness Cup Final against Ross County at Grant Street (2500 crowd in Grant Street!!!!) when he charged down the left wing again and again (only 12th Man seems to have mentioned the legendary "head down"!)creating havoc in the County defence. Iain Stewart got Man of the Match for a hat trick in a 5-2 ICT victory but many felt it was Daisy's game.

Daisy's family own a fish business in Kinlochbervie but I don't know if that extends to Rollers. The Apocryphal tale was that he used to come to and from Inverness in a fish lorry. I remember one pulled into the layby on the A9 beside the stadium one night during extra time and some wag shouted "taxi for Ross".

Daisy also made a big impact when he went to Clach and indeed - "gentleman" does not begin to describe.

PS - I also have to empathise with Caley100's comment on the generation gap on this forum in his reference to the original question..."does anyone remember Daisy Ross?" :biggrin:

11 hours ago, CJ Ross said:

That's a really nice post. Quite surreal to read given it's about my old man. I'm sure my dad would be pleased to read it and would love to catch up with all the football legend back in the day. 

Nice first post and congratulations on what must surely a record of six years between  posts on a thread.

• Agree 1