Does anyone remember Daisy Ross?

tokelyisvictorious

The guy is an absolute legend, let's just say he was a grafter.

I seen him eating a pie and watching the scores in the bar at half time during the Hamilton game recently, i wanted to go and say something to him but i was overwhelmingly starstruck.

Anyone remember Daisy Ross? I have only seen him play once, was he any good for Elgin or Caley?

• Agree 1

Daisy was an enigma ..... a grafter and a good honest pro, but lacking in the polished skills that might have taken him further. We really should have thought he was crap, especially as we climbed the leagues, but because of his honesty and effort I think we all appreciated him and cut hinm a good bit of slack.

Anyone remember Daisy Ross? I have only seen him play once, was he any good for Elgin or Caley?

Jeez... do you think we are all under 25 on this forum? i remember Daisy's dad!!

Daisy was a gangly winger who could and did score goals at quite a lot of levels.

Whatta guy Daisy was. Kinlochbervie's finest. I remember him in the mid 90's at Telford Street ripping the absolute Michael out of the Brechin/Forfar/Albion Rovers full back.

As I do :twothumbsup: He used to tear opposition full backs to shreads in the Highland League days , legend .

• Agree 1

Daisy's Stats

League:

Started: 66

Sub (ON): 22

Sub (unused): 6

Total League Appearances: 88

Total League Goals: 9

Scottish Cup:

Started: 5

Sub (ON): 5

Sub (unused): 3

Total SC Cup Appearances: 10

Total SC Cup Goals: 1

League Cup:

Started: 3

Sub (ON): 1

Sub (unused): 0

Total Lge Cup Appearances: 4

Total Lge Cup Goals: 0

Challenge Cup:

Started: 3

Sub (ON): 0

Sub (unused): 1

Total Ch Cup Appearances: 3

Total Ch Cup Goals: 0

All Cups:

Started: 11

Sub (ON): 6

Sub (unused): 4

Total Cup Appearances: 17

Total Cup Goals: 1

All Competitions (LGE & Cup):

Started: 77

Sub (ON): 28

Sub (unused): 10

Total Appearances: 105

Total Goals: 10

Strike Rate: 10%

Daisy was a great crowd favourite, a real grafter and quite a fast runner.

For some reason we were fascinated by the Kinlochbervie connection, and somehow also got the idea that he was a millionaire (no idea if there's any truth in that, if he was it certainly wasn't from football-related earnings!).

We used to delight in the idea of him thundering down the long road from Kinlochbervie, presumably in a Rolls Royce, Ferrari, or some other millionaire-appropriate motor car, pulling on a Caley Thistle strip, sprinting down the wing and providing a duff pass or fluffed cross.

Mind you, anyone's skills would be shown up when they had the great Wilsy on the other wing!

• Agree 1

Daisy Ross....Legend

He was once likened to David Ginola!!!!

Re: Change for Inverness Cup?

Posted by: ICTChris (IP Logged)

Date: June 26, 2003 12:14PM

The Inverness Cup final in 1995 when we beat County 5-2 at Grant Street was one of the best games I have been at - great atmosphere in the segregated Wine Shed, Teasdales debut and a goal, Stewarty bagging a hat-trick, the faces on the gypo's on the other side of the fence - brilliant. Daisy Ross even played like David Ginola.

Daisy was probably up to about div 2 standard, but what a great lad, no ego at all.

Edit- let himself down a bit in his twilight years - never realised it was all downhill after ICT and signed for some pub team.

Edited by TheMantis

Whatta guy Daisy was. Kinlochbervie's finest. I remember him in the mid 90's at Telford Street ripping the absolute Michael out of the Brechin/Forfar/Albion Rovers full back.

For my money, Daisy's finest hour was in the 1995 Inverness Cup Final against Ross County at Grant Street (2500 crowd in Grant Street!!!!) when he charged down the left wing again and again (only 12th Man seems to have mentioned the legendary "head down"!)creating havoc in the County defence. Iain Stewart got Man of the Match for a hat trick in a 5-2 ICT victory but many felt it was Daisy's game.

Daisy's family own a fish business in Kinlochbervie but I don't know if that extends to Rollers. The Apocryphal tale was that he used to come to and from Inverness in a fish lorry. I remember one pulled into the layby on the A9 beside the stadium one night during extra time and some wag shouted "taxi for Ross".

Daisy also made a big impact when he went to Clach and indeed - "gentleman" does not begin to describe.

PS - I also have to empathise with Caley100's comment on the generation gap on this forum in his reference to the original question..."does anyone remember Daisy Ross?" :biggrin:

• Agree 2

PS - I also have to empathise with Caley100's comment on the generation gap on this forum in his reference to the original question..."does anyone remember Daisy Ross?" :biggrin:

Nahh, those of us who do remember all the early days are just old farts Charles ... the torch has been passed to a new generation :cool:

The one and only time I saw him play was in his twilight years at Clach, playing against Stenhousemuir in a Scottish Cup game in the middle of winter. Seemed to me a bit like Roscoe, 100% effort.

Didn't think anyone would reply to this topic, more than enough elderly fans to prove me wrong.

And, given that Daisy left ICT within the last decade or thereby, your definition of "elderly" would be...? :biggrin:

The one and only time I saw him play was in his twilight years at Clach, playing against Stenhousemuir in a Scottish Cup game in the middle of winter. Seemed to me a bit like Roscoe, 100% effort.

Didn't think anyone would reply to this topic, more than enough elderly fans to prove me wrong.

And, given that Daisy left ICT within the last decade or thereby, your definition of "elderly" would be...? :biggrin:

Errrr, let's just say you would fall into the elderly category.

:fishing: