Site problems?

tm4tj

Site seems to be a bit hit or miss last couple of days.

Sometimes connecting ok, others taking ages to load pages. Are there any issues regarding this at the moment or is this a local issue.

We can only apologise folks .... Our provider has ongoing issues with their MySQL servers which are the machines that hold the databases that in turn hold all our articles, postings etc. When this goes down, the site is down and we have no control over it.

We have been shouting long and hard at them but ultimately we may need to make an emergency move if it continues.

Due to problems earlier in the year, we had intended to move in the summer from this hosting company to another host we use but just as we were making preparations to do so, the other host had a problem that resulted in us losing a lot of work on another site we had been working on for someone else so we were kinda caught in the middle between two hosts that had issues (not uncommon with shared hosting suppliers).

We stuck it out with the current host but maybe it is time to call it quits with them. I will chat with CaleyD and we will let you know whats happening if/when we make any changes.

If anyone is also having a lag in the display of text characters after completing their typing then I have to advise that that is most likely due to bug in Internet Explorer. I have been reding an I.E.8 Forum about this browser and that seems to be a real recurring problem. It happens to me occasionally but it can be frustrating over the long term.

It was doing this only a few minutes ago but now is clear again. Sigh!

I don't know myuch about computers but there seems to have been something quite wrong with this site for some time. Accessing it seems to range from "slow" to "very slow" but there have also been a number of instances when it gives you something called a "server error", producing just a black and white paragraph of stuff that I simply don't understand but which seems to be telling you it's bust.

This happened most recently about an hour ago and for a time yesterday I thought that on a rare Saturday afternoon that I wasn't at a match, it wasn't going to be possible to sample the delights of the matchday thread.

This only seems to happen with this site but from all three computers I use so I'm following that it must be this site rather than my machines.

I don't know myuch about computers but there seems to have been something quite wrong with this site for some time. Accessing it seems to range from "slow" to "very slow" but there have also been a number of instances when it gives you something called a "server error", producing just a black and white paragraph of stuff that I simply don't understand but which seems to be telling you it's bust. This happened most recently about an hour ago and for a time yesterday I thought that on a rare Saturday afternoon that I wasn't at a match, it wasn't going to be possible to sample the delights of the matchday thread. This only seems to happen with this site but from all three computers I use so I'm following that it must be this site rather than my machines.

Its not the site, it is our host. The site itself is operating normally although I do understand that to the site viewers it doesnt really matter who is at fault, when it is down, it is down.

Like the vast majority of sites on the internet we utilise "shared hosting" as it is cheaper than dedicated hosting. This basically means that the website is physically located on a machine we share with hundreds of other websites. Because of the nature of this type of hosting there can be issues ...... and unfortunately, we have suffered more than our fair share recently.

Over the last month or two, our hosting company have experienced a litany of issues and after each one we sit back and think "ok, NOW its going to be fine". Usually it is (we have been with this company for years), but this time they seem to be stumbling from one crisis to another. A few weeks ago it was our webserver (the machine where th actual files are stored), then it was the database server (the machine where the actual posts and site information is all stored in databases), and today I am told it was a targetted DDOS attack (basically hackers or 'script kiddies' trying to take the network down).

Over the summer, we were in the process of migrating CTO to a different host (still shared hosting, but with another company) but just about the time we started the process they too had issues ... and we lost a couple of development sites we had been working on. This made us take a big pause and review how we do it.

Bottom line ......

1. Myself and Donald are more than aware of the issues - we feel more pain than anyone when the site goes down and we probably notice it first as one or other of us is usually on the site at any given time.

2. We will not let the current state of affairs go on. It has gone on long enough and we may look to move hosts if they cannot get their network under control in the next week or two.

However, bear in mind that physically moving this site is not easy and requires a migration process that involves downloading from one host and then uploading to another. This file migration is somewhere in the region of 50 Gigabytes of data .... pretty time consuming and also something both myself and Don will need to keep an eye on in terms of our personal bandwidth from our own internet providers !!! In other words, if we have to move, it may take a while.

3. If/When we move, we will still be on shared hosting so issues are still likely to arise. We simply cannot afford dedicated or semi-dedicated hosting for a free site and as we have vowed never to make CTO a paid site then thats how it will stay ... unless we get a nice corporate sponsor to pay for it :lol:

Its not the site, it is our host. The site itself is operating normally although I do understand that to the site viewers it doesnt really matter who is at fault, when it is down, it is down.

I think that's probably what I meant. My computer vocabulary is very limited and my grasp of them extremely weak. I didn't actually expect that it was anything wrong with CTO itself but more with whatever system gets CTO to my computer. But within that context, the site has always been a bit slower than others to get up on my computer, although more recently often a good deal slower still if it appears at all, which is presumably the fault of whoever does that for CTO.

Now where did I leave my Brother portable typewriter......?

• Disagree 1