Reputation Voting

Scotty

I am going to use the post quoted below as the most recent example but it is clear that certain members are 'targetting' their reputation votes and voting down specific members regardless of what they say ......

:annoyed: :annoyed: More Red dots, what the hell for this time?!! I only asked a question this time and 2 people see that worthy of a red dot, i didn't know if Sky had this as they have one half of the Old Firm live and i thought next week was Rangers' turn, i don't get why that is worthy of a red dot :annoyed:!!

Bottom line, its getting to the stage where we do one of three things .....

1. We remove the feature entirely (which I feel is unfair on users who are not abusing it).

2. We remove the facility to add any negative votes at all but still allow positive rep.

3. We remove the voting privilege from those individuals we feel are abusing the sytem.

There is also a fourth option, and one which I would hope we can try and do ..... use it in the way it was intended !!!! vote add.png for posts you think make a valid point or where you agree with the opinion and vote delete.png for those posts where you disagree with the opinion expressed. Voting a post down when it is a simple question seems quite ludicrous

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Guest Mahonio

I am going to use the post quoted below as the most recent example but it is clear that certain members are 'targetting' their reputation votes and voting down specific members regardless of what they say ......

:annoyed: :annoyed: More Red dots, what the hell for this time?!! I only asked a question this time and 2 people see that worthy of a red dot, i didn't know if Sky had this as they have one half of the Old Firm live and i thought next week was Rangers' turn, i don't get why that is worthy of a red dot :annoyed:!!

Bottom line, its getting to the stage where we do one of three things .....

1. We remove the feature entirely (which I feel is unfair on users who are not abusing it).

2. We remove the facility to add any negative votes at all but still allow positive rep.

3. We remove the voting privilege from those individuals we feel are abusing the sytem.

There is also a fourth option, and one which I would hope we can try and do ..... use it in the way it was intended !!!! vote add.png for posts you think make a valid point or where you agree with the opinion and vote delete.png for those posts where you disagree with the opinion expressed. Voting a post down when it is a simple question seems quite ludicrous

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Edited by Mahonio

Are folk seriously bothered about what reputation level they have on an Internet forum? Deary me.

Generally I don't think it bothers people much, but if someone feels they are being continually targetted then I could see why it would get to them, especially on a forum like this, which is supposed to serve as a place for people with a shared passion being able to discuss that passion.

Judging by the number of red dots Mahonio has received on recent threads for completely uncontentious questions and opinions, it seems pretty clear to me that he's being targetted, presumably for one ill-considered thread a few weeks ago, for which he subsequently apologised. It's a bit out of order that he's still taking the flak for that, especially given the hammering he took at the time.

*waits for cascade of red dots* :rolleyes:

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 3

If indeed certain posters are being targetted it is wrong but maybe they should ask themselves why. If they'd restrict themselves to making valid points rather than having an opinion about everything they would surely see a positive change. That is just my opinion, which I don't feel that strongly about. How do I give myself a red dot? :tongueincheek:

• Agree 1

If any poster wants to target someone else let him/her come out in the open and put his/her thoughts in a post on the thread. Then there is no suspicion of this being underhand.

I very occasionally post a dot, predominantly green ones(by far), but I can't honestly see the merit in having this type of value system which has no requirement to justify itself openly.

Mahonio has a point and a half and maybe it's time to review the worth of keeping the red/green dot addition to this site. My vote?--terminate it.

• Agree 2

I like it, before people would slag off the one word reply to posts so the green dot keeps it on track, certain posters are not overly open to out word spoken criticism so a red dot bypassed the debate, iirc I have issued the odd red dot or three, if they are gotten rid off because one poster doesnt like being dotted then i will resort to one line disagreements:..... I.e pish, ****, bawbag yada yada yada...

I like it, before people would slag off the one word reply to posts so the green dot keeps it on track, certain posters are not overly open to out word spoken criticism so a red dot bypassed the debate, iirc I have issued the odd red dot or three, if they are gotten rid off because one poster doesnt like being dotted then i will resort to one line disagreements:..... I.e pish, ****, bawbag yada yada yada...

Fannybaws:tongueincheek:

If it were true that people were being targeted, then I would be top of the bad reputation list. Funnily enough though, IMO should you look at the two reputation tables, they actually come out with a pretty accurate list of who we should and shouldn't bother listening to.

• Agree 2

I'd keep it. Too often, on things like P&B, those with the loudest voices aren't necessarily those that have the most reasonable views. I think this actually prevents bullying more than promotes it. Look how much taunting Renegade had to endure before the dots - yet now, he has a positive reputation.

If someone is being overly critical, like they were of Nick Ross, there was little way of knowing if that was the majority view or not. Now, it's easier to see whether most think that criticism is justifiable or over the top.

And if you're not interested (I would doubt anyone was seriously bothered) in what people think of your views and those of others, what on Earth are you doing on a forum?

• Agree 2

In football, some players dive to win penalties. The solution is not to abolish penalties. Better to clamp down on anyone who is abusing the system.

Like the analogy very apt and makes the point quite nicely i would say

In general it is pleasing to see that the vast majority of members use the system sensibly and are generally positive in how they use it. The fact that far more green dots are used than red dots is proof of that.

The system is good because it gives members a very quick way to acknowledge agreement or disagreement. It also often highlights posts that are worth reading if you haven't time to read all the posts.

If anyone is regularly abusing the system then I feel they should have the function taken from them but there is another way of dealing with the problem - if you see a post which you feel has been voted down unfairly, then vote it up. Simple!

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

I know for a fact that i am being targetted and it is ******* annoying!!! I DO take my reputation votes seriously by the way.

Here is a few examples of me being targetted:

1) I got 2 red dots for a simple question- ******* crazy!

2) I got a red dot for stating a fact to Charles re. Caithness Glass Factory- again, ******* crazy!

3) I got 2 red dots for agreeing with Scotty (see post 2 on this thread).

4) I got over 30 red dots for my mad thread regarding Butcher after League Cup tie which was understandable because it was crazy to start that thread.

5) I got 2 red dots for asking about programmes for McBains testimonial- ******* crazy!

If it doesn't stop then i am going to consider not using this forum which is unfair on me!!!!!!!!!!!! but it is getting to the stage where i am getting REALLY pissed off with my repputation.

Edited by Mahonio

I'll be honest here n say, the 30 over you "admitted" silly post after the cup game mean thet 30 people didn't like that post n I was one of them, the others I have nothing. We all have a right and a freedom of speech to agree n disagree, I'm sure I get red dots for my spelling but that's the dotters right to.

I got a red dot for hypatheticly green doting, I'll live. I'll be a smidge honest here and say your red dot rant will be like a red rag to a bull to some of the wind up merchants on here so just live with it.... I think the majority of users like the dots n its positive discrimination if we lose them.

Edited by Georgeios

I know for a fact that i am being targetted and it is ******* annoying!!! I DO take my reputation votes seriously by the way.

2) I got a red for stating a fact to Charles re. Caithness Glass Factory- again, ******* crazy!

4) I got over 30 red dots for my mad thread regarding Butcher after League Cup tie which was understandable because it was crazy to start that thread.

5) I got a red dot for asking about programmes for McBains testimonial (i think)- ******* crazy!

If it doesn't stop then i am going to consider not using this forum which is unfair on me!!!!!!!!!!!! but it is getting to the stage where i am getting REALLY pissed off with my repputation.

You're quite right to be annoyed. Have a green dot!

2) I got a red dot for stating a fact to Charles re. Caithness Glass Factory- again, ******* crazy!

5) I got 2 red dots for asking about programmes for McBains testimonial- ******* crazy!

How old are you btw?? I don't think anyone takes them seriously. If you get this wound up over a virtual red dot on an internet site then people are going to just keep giving you more!

And don't start crying about not using the board again, that is really pathetic. If you don't want to use it again then don't if you do then do.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1