125 years...

dougiedanger

125 years in 2011 since the formation of Caley. Made me think of the centenary season, not that I have any outstanding memories of it. The only memento I have is an official centenary tie.

Anyone mind what the official celebrations were?

I recollect being at a big meeting in the Caley Hotel ballroom, chaired by Norman where the speaker was Nat Lofthouse. Lofthouse had considerable experience in club fundraising and the meeting led to the formation of the Centenary Club. I would suggest that for Caley's 8 remaining years and ICT's 17 to date, the Centenary Club has had a massive impact on the way football has unfolded in this city. Certainly by far the most profound spin off from Caley's centenary in 1986.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

125 years in 2011 since the formation of Caley. Made me think of the centenary season, not that I have any outstanding memories of it. The only memento I have is an official centenary tie.

I recollect being at a big meeting in the Caley Hotel ballroom, chaired by Norman where the speaker was Nat Lofthouse. Lofthouse had considerable experience in club fundraising and the meeting led to the formation of the Centenary Club. I would suggest that for Caley's 8 remaining years and ICT's 17 to date, the Centenary Club has had a massive impact on the way football has unfolded in this city. Certainly by far the most profound spin off from Caley's centenary in 1986.

Thanks Charles, I don't suppose there will be any official or unofficial commemoration of the 125th anniversary. Maybe the rumoured Caley animals reunion will take care of that. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Charles the original scheme was called lifeline because the original scheme saved clubs at the time but because it to was the centenary year the centenary club was born. I also remember going to the ballroom to the official dinner that year. There was a lot of memorablia must look in my loft.

It would be good if the club did a retro light blue strip to mark the occasion, they could do a red/black strip for Thistles too. Partick did this a couple of seasons ago for their centenary and it raised much needed cash for them.

The Jags were formed in 1885 and Caley in 1886 so missed that opportunity :biggrin:

It would be good if the club did a retro light blue strip to mark the occasion, they could do a red/black strip for Thistles too. Partick did this a couple of seasons ago for their centenary and it raised much needed cash for them.

The Jags were formed in 1885 and Caley in 1886 so missed that opportunity :biggrin:

Wasn't really thinking that anyone would care to be honest, given that they were the lesser of the merged sides.

:whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you that man :twothumbsup:

One of my happiest memories of the 69-70 season was Caley in their striped strip as they beat Ross County 5-0 in the Scottish at Telford Street. Two goals apiece from the late Sandy Finnie and the great Freddie Nield, with Davy Johnston getting the other.

Edited by bluesbrother
  • Agree 1