Scotland Squad for first Nations Cup match

Scotland Squad

Goalkeepers: Bell (Kilmarnock) Gordon (Sunderland) McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Bardsley (Sunderland) Berra (Wolves) Caldwell (Wigan Athletic) Hanley (Blackburn Rovers) Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur) Danny Wilson (Liverpool) Mark Wilson (Celtic)

Midfielders: Adam (Blackpool) Bannan (Aston Villa) Brown (Celtic) Commons (Celtic) Dorrans (West Brom) Fletcher (Manchester United) McCulloch (Rangers) Morrison (West Brom)

Forwards: Maguire (Aberdeen) Miller (Bursaspor) Naismith (Rangers) Snodgrass (Leeds United)

Includes 12 EPL players and 8 SPL players

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

No disrespect intended but it is bullshit that Ryan Esson has been overlooked again. He is THE form keeper in the SPL this season and this would have been a perfect opportunity to reward him.

As is now usual, the squad contains a strong selection of midfielders but very little up front or in the centre of defence. I hadn't heard of Grant Hanley before this morning. While it's certainly good to hear we've got another central defender coming through, an international call-up for a 19 year-old with just 6 first team starts to his name highlights just how desperate we are in that position. I assume Caldwell and Berra will be the first choice pairing in defence, with Wilson and Hanley being reared to replace them.

I can't think of many notable absentees. Whittaker, i suspect, has been playing with an injury for some time now and Weir only plays in qualifiers. Stephen Fletcher, though he isn't playing regularly for Wolves, is someone i would expect to be in most squads - certainly ahead of Maguire. It Seems that Levein isn't willing to forgive him for moaning to the press after he wasn't played in the last qualifiers.

What is the Nations Cup? :huh:

My XI from that squad:

---------------------Gordon-----------------------

---Hutton----Berra--------Caldwell-----WilsonM----

-------------Fletcher------Adam-------------------

-------Naismith-------Dorrans-------MOrrison------

------------------Miller---------------------------

I'm sure all the Rangers players will pull out. Not sure who could play left-back in that squad either?

I'm sure all the Rangers players will pull out. Not sure who could play left-back in that squad either?

Bardsley has been playing left back for Sunderland and been doing pretty well there. I would certainly pick him before Wilson whom i do not rate.

Isnt Whittaker usually used on the left? I notice he isnt in the squad. Is he injured just now?

No disrespect intended but it is bullshit that Ryan Esson has been overlooked again. He is THE form keeper in the SPL this season and this would have been a perfect opportunity to reward him.

my thoughts also when I first saw the squad

IMO Esson is better than Bell. He has won us games and i just don't get Leveins thinking. On a more positive note, I am looking forward to the tournament. If it can be even half as successful as 6 Nations Rugby in terms of attendances, sponsorship, TV, hype etc then that's great for the Scottish game.

I thought Bardsley was a right-back, I stand corrected.

you are right, he started as a right back but was tried out in the left back position and excelled.

I notice he scored against chelsea last night as well

Great to have versatility in the team

although not in the squad, probably coz he is only just back from a serious injury sustained in the last scotland game, but lee wallace would be my first choice left back.

other than that not anybody i can think off that has missed out. maybe templeton on form, but needs more experience i guess. does highlight how desperately we need a striker! these are folk who have been in and around the last couple years

mackie -injured for a long time

iwelumo - least said the better

fletcher - by the sounds of it pulling a duncan ferguson (that kinda happened before i was aware of such things)

o'conner - burnley now i think, not played regularly since russia.

mcfadden - almost fit again, not a target man tho.

kyle - oh dear.......

boyd - he did score at the weekend

Edited by Bombabim

I really think Fletcher has went and shot himself in the foot by not even bothering to talk to Levien directly.

Even if he just said he wanted to concentrate on getting in the Wolves team scoring goals Im sure that would be an acceptable enough reason.

I just hope it's not because he wants to join Rangers :tongue:

iwelumo - least said the better

Think this is a little harsh. He's a regular for Burnley and has 10 goals in 27 in the Championship. It's not bad. Yes he did miss THAT sitter but it doesn't necessarily make him a bad player.

The squad is starting to take a good shape, 2 high quality keepers, Huton looks good these days although some of the otehr defence choices such as the 2 wilsons are odd, hopefully Webster will get fit and games at Hearts then him & Wallace can come in for the next matches. Midfield looks strong, has to be built around Adam, Fletcher, Bannan & Brown just need Driver fit. Up front looks light (think Goodwillie would have been there had it not been for the issues he has and Fletcher - what a silly boy, Faddy to return as well) but overall its looking like a decent squad Levien is starting to create.

---------------------Gordon-----------------------

---Hutton----Berra--------Caldwell-----Bardsley----

-------------Fletcher------Brown-------------------

-------Naismith-------Adam-------Commons------

------------------Miller---------------------------

Will this have any affect on our presently poor FIFA ranking?

Something Scotty said in the other thread on summer football prompted me to take a look and I see we have dropped another point, most likely due to other teams playing and gaining points while we are dormant. I presume then that if we did well in this competition that the points would potentially lift us up, even if only by a bit.

It was somewhat galling to have to go to page 2 to find Scotland while RoI (35th) and NI (38th) are on page 1. Mind you, I had to go to page 3 to find Wales (116) !

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/lastranking/gender=m/fullranking.html#confederation=0&rank=201&page=2

does craig pick the scotland team or does the fa pick it for him,still no caley thistle players in the scotland team

???? Who would you propose in the squad? Considering we dont have a huge pool of Scottish players, apart from Esson is there even a contender - cant see Rossco getting a call up?

If the FA were picking the team, we wouldnt be seeing younger players like Maguire, Conway, MacArthur getting a shout.

• Agree 2

The reason there are no ICT players in the squad is that Bell is seen as a youthful prospect ideal for 3rd choice.

Tokely and Munro are fair enough ICT stalwarts and faithful servants but they haven't shone so much they could replace the current lot. They are also getting on. Levein has to look forward. Duncan and Duff are in any area where Scotland are strongest. Full of premiership players. Proctor not good enough.

Ross and Shinnie have only just broken into the team. Will serve under 21 apprenticeships. Sutherland is another on the verge. Thats about it in terms of ICT Scots.

Most of the Scotland team play for the Old Firm (top 2 scottish teams) in the premiership/championship, or at bigger clubs than ourselves. It's inevitable ICT players more than most will struggle to play for the Scotland team.

Laterly, I have to ask, does anyone feel any of the current crop, aside from maybe Esson, are good enough?

As for the team I'd like to see a 4-4-2 or attack minded 4-5-1.

- Gordon -

- Hutton - Caldwell - Berra - Bardsley -

-Adam - Brown -

- Snodgrass - Morrison - Commons -

- Naismith -

Darren Fletcher and Lee McCulloch would have been stationed in the deeper midfield roles but are both out. Dorrans would be in there as well if fit and I'd push Adam forward and drop Brown. I can't abide by Miller in a lone front role. For all his energy he lacks the fundemental ability to hold the ball up to bring others into play. He is best alongside another front man. I also am sick of the sight of him fluffing it in front of goal for Scotland when 1 on 1 with keepers.

*As McArthur appears to be getting a shout, put him in alongside Brown perhaps and move Adam forward.

I'd quite happily see Jamie Ness called up. Former Celtic defender Kennedy was brought in after a dozen games and whilst it ended badly (through no fault of his own) surely can't do any harm. He doesn't need to play. Just allows Levein to get a look at him in training as I for one have been very impressed.

Where are all the forwards?