Ken Dodd

tm4tj

Who is your favourite comedian?

I watched the Ken Dod show thingy tonight and was in stitches (bbc2), ok it was a replay from 1994 but to be honest it was still hilarious. Maybe he appeals to his own generation mostly, but I have the utmost ademiration for this man having seen him a couple of times, a supreme trouper at the age of 83.5.............legend.

Who makes you laugh, apart from Johndo, Heilandee, ande The Knowledge. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Happiness, Happiness, the greatest thing that I possess.

Who is your favourite comedian?

I watched the Ken Dod show thingy tonight and was in stitches (bbc2), ok it was a replay from 1994 but to be honest it was still hilarious. Maybe he appeals to his own generation mostly, but I have the utmost ademiration for this man having seen him a couple of times, a supreme trouper at the age of 83.5.............legend.

Who makes you laugh, apart from Johndo, Heilandee, ande The Knowledge. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Happiness, Happiness, the greatest thing that I possess.

The immortal one made me laugh today. Sitting down surrounded by people standing!

Ken Dodd appeared at Eden Court in the 1990s.

Yeah Mr Mhor, we saw him there, he was good, very good.

In an era where swearing and crudeness are the norm, Ken Dodd resorts to humour. Genius.

Where would todays comedians be without swearywords,.............oooooeeerrrrr.

The only one that runs him close is/was/is Frank Carson, or Bob Monkhouse.

I was coerced into taking an elderly gentleman to Eden Court to the Ken Dodd show (cannot remember when)(it was elderly gent who wanted to see Ken Dodd) and have never regretted it. Great night. Show didnt end til well after midnight, talk about getting your moneys worth!. My face was sore with laughing after first half hour - was really sore by the end. So many jokes we couldn't remember them but none of them rude - you could take your granny to see him and she wouldnt have been unhappy. No crude jokes, no swearing, just pure fun and laughter, just joke after joke, after joke, all funny. What a showman. There wont be another like him. Anyone who hasnt seen him live - well you have missed a true legend.

He will be appearing in Glasgow this June

I actually thought he was dead - so that comment came as quite a surprise!

Very funny guy, whose comedy style inexplicably went out of fashion in the late 80's, as far as the TV companies were concerned.

I'm attending his Pavillion show on 4th June, he is a comic legend and certainly puts Gervais, Brand, Alan Carr etc to shame!

Absolutely puts all the modern so called comics in the shade. I saw him at the London Palladium in 70s. Just as well we drove in that night as his show eventually finished after midnight!

About the only one of the modern ones who could come close to Doddy in jokes per minute, is Tim Vine.

Genius is a much overused word but Doddy certainly comes close.

Theres a current comedian that always makes me laugh, hes always coming up with fresh material,cant remember his name though, I'm not sure what his club circuit is either, I think he usually performs at Hampden, thats it Ive remembered now its Doncaster, cant wait till he hits the big time and gets a slot on Live at the Apollo, really funny guy.

Theres a current comedian that always makes me laugh, hes always coming up with fresh material,cant remember his name though, I'm not sure what his club circuit is either, I think he usually performs at Hampden, thats it Ive remembered now its Doncaster, cant wait till he hits the big time and gets a slot on Live at the Apollo, really funny guy.

Think you might find the joke's on us though.

Think you might find the joke's on us though.

He is funny though, his story about losing a bet with a mate and as a forfeit had to call in all the chairmen from all SPL clubs and tell them that a quarter of them had to leave by next year,to find out his mate was only joking and he cant believe he was gullible enough to go through with it.

Another story that made me laugh was about him repeating everything that his imaginary friend says,At a press conference he was talking about bringing the start of the season forward, when his imaginary friend popped up and said "were starting the season earlier but you dont have to play the games if you dont want to" and he repeated it to the press!

• 2 weeks later...

Used to love Freddie Starr and Russ Abbot before Freddie ate THAT hamster :biggrin: Absolutely love Chubby Brown and have got loads of his DVDs - wait for the pc brigade to tell me off -

always remember being in Benidorm with some other guys and a tribute act called woody Brown was performing - was talking about the Concorde disaster and asked if there were any germans in the crowd, a few cheered and he said it was an awful shame to which they agreed, he then said the shame was there was 50 empty seats, the germans walked out and needless to say the brits were pi$ing themselves.

I used to absolutely love the great dave Allen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcfFSS3nKI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_SzOL8RsScM

Edited by jagster

By Jove, how tickled I am to be reading all this.

I would have thought that Doddy would have found performing rather taxing at his age. :rolleyes:

Edited by DJS

• 1 month later...

Im a child of the 80s....so grew up watching the likes of Ken Dodd, watching The Comedians etc. There are a few good comedians about today....I like Michael Macintyre, Ed Byrne, Frankie Boyle, Dara O Brein, Bill Bailey, Ricky Gervais, but most of todays "comedy" seems to stem from the ability to shock and offend, rather than wittly thought out punchlines. Frankie Boyle being a case in hand....but...i do find him funny at times. My fave Comedy act of all time.......Laurel and Hardy :)

Stan Laurel actually cut his comedy teeth in Glasgow!