Covers

tm4tj

Not for the first time recently, we have a game called off due to a waterlogged pitch. We never used to have this problem, but that's two recently. It's annoying because this is surely avoidable.

Now, it was not rocket science to see that the ground was going to get wet, even covered with a little snow as it has been miserable for days now. Even Michael Fish could have predicted that one. What was done about it...............very little as far as I can see.

Is it not about time the club invested in a set of covers to keep the water off the pitch. This must be costing the club in lost revenue the game now going ahead in midweek. Surely it's not difficlt to have large tarpaulin type covers trackside to keep the worst of the water away from the surface.

This is not a dig at the club's groundstaff who do a remarkable job, but should the club itself not be doing more to ease the situation?

:irritated:

probably a cost we dont need tbh, with the amount of games we had to postpone this season and in the past the upkeep & purchase of them i doubt would be necessary.

the guys on the ground staff do a awesome job and i doubt they need much more help with their job, except from "god" not raining down sleet for about 18hrs.

Last time I mentioned this to someone at the club I got the impression that hell would freeze over before Tommy would allow covers anywhere near the pitch.

Something to do with the fact that that any more than a few hours and they actually start to cause damage and the problem is exasperated when the USH is in use.

I was always under the impression that a very elaborate drainage system had been installed in the pitch many moons ago. It only seems to ever be a problem for all the prima donnas in the SPL, in the lower leagues...games went ahead in worse weather than this

At the risk of banging on and on and on.....

ICT got the 10000 seats rule changed. While we're still full voting members of the SPL, ICT should get the USH rule scrapped too. USH has been a disaster for our pitch.

Let clubs have USH as an option. Fine them if they lose a game to a frozen pitch. Let ICT take the risk and keep Tommy happy.

Ross county bought a tractor and caravan type trailer thing for selling merchandise out of with their cup run cash last season. If we win the cup invest the cash in covers? Last thing we want is European matches being postponed next season.

Don't get pedantic now girls. You only need to cover up in severe weather cases, I doubt there will be much of a drought in the forseeable future, or if it is a worry, then you could pump the water back to the surface from a holding container below the surface and re-use the natural resources.

Piece of cake really, I'm off to get my shovel.

If figures being thrown around are anywhere near correct, then the loss of TV revenue is around ?82,500 per club, plus loss on the day at shop etc, sponsorship, hospitality, then surely it would be worth investigating the feasibilty of some sort of preventative system.

There is also a loss to the pubs/clubs etc in takings before and after the game. That is nothing to do with ICT, but is all part of the bigger picture and economy of the area.

How much is the gadget, don't know, but I doubt it would be cheap, however, in the long run, the cost of having it installed would outweigh the loss of revenue incurred. We can't afford to turn our noses up at ?80K.

Actually quite like the idea .... the website is very informative and their benefits page actually throws up a few good ideas ....

• Lower insurance rates (match cancellation insurance) [do we have this ?]
  • Up to 75% reduction in USH costs [I guess it needs to be on for shorter time]
  • Sponsorship opportunities - branding on the cover itself [visible from A9 or before games on TV]

A few years ago I would have said "no way" as the TCS was never a place to have many call-offs, but ever since the addition of USH we seem to be more vulnerable to waterlogging especially. It may not be viable as we have no idea of the costs, but no harm in getting a quote and letting the number crunchers figure out if there is any merit in it ... or not.

• Agree 1

I would prefer a fully enclosed stadium with a roof to keep the rain out.

Does anyone else remember a guy who wanted to buy the club and build one? Whatever happened to him? He was nuts.