tuffey to go?

old caley girl

Sky Sports Website reporting ICT willing to accept offers for Jonny Tuffey from England. Seemingly attracting a lot of attention. Didnt see this one coming but thought he might go out on loan at some stage. Sorry cant get link to post properly.

Sky Sports Website reporting ICT willing to accept offers for Jonny Tuffey from England. Seemingly attracting a lot of attention. Didnt see this one coming but thought he might go out on loan at some stage. Sorry cant get link to post properly.

Tuffey Story

Well at least we are in the driving seat here. Tuffey is too good a keeper to have on the bench, and while it is great to have both he and Esson in the same squad it will never keep both happy. But he has another 12 months to run on his deal so anyone wanting him will have to pay for him. Could raise funds to bring in a good player or could go towards a couple of contracts for any free agents we find.

It might be a good move for JT (and ICT).

I do not want to lose him but it may be a case of everyone doing whats best in this scenario. Its great to have two international class keepers at the club (even if Ryan doesnt get a look-in for Scotland) but Esson is clearly the #1 and going forward JT may have issues getting into the NI squad if he cannot claim and keep a #1 spot somewhere.

If the club are willing to listen to offers, and Tuffey gets a move somewhere where he will be #1 then everyone wins .... if he stays as backup for another season (perhaps losing his international spot) and we then lose him for nothing next year then everyone loses.

So what sort of transfer fee could we realistically expect to receive?

On the plus side:

- built excellent reputation at Partick and has generally performed well when we've seen him for ICT

- got international caps

- still very young

On the down side

- caps are "only" for N. Ireland, and

- typically in meaningless fixtures, and

- he looked very dodgy v Scotland

- nearly all of his club experience is at a fairly low level, Scottish Division 1

- only 3 SPL appearances, and didn't look at all clever for Hamilton's goal

- he wants to leave (as its the only way he'll get to play regularly)

- we want to cash in

I'll start the bidding at ?50,000.

Felt sorry for him against scotland it wasn't just him the whole NI team looked out of their depth

He has conceded very few goals this season 2 I make it? Except for the Celtic game but I'm not counting that it was very little to do with him. When's he's played he's played well especially the last 3 game when he had very little to do save wise but the saves he did make were good saves .

He's a quality keeper and I was very surprised that we managed to sign him in the first place...actually thought Esson must have been moving on when he came in.

Wouldn't surprise me, given where the interest is rumoured to be from, if he went for a healthy 6 figures.

I did read an article somewhere the other day that said Tuffey was keen on staying put. Hopefully that's still true. It does make me wonder though if those rumours about Michael McGovern coming are true.

For a young, International keeper, surely we should be looking at at least ?100K. Don't forget that Partick, no doubt, will be in for a slice of whatever we get, so I hope we don't sell him cheaply. Other Spl clubs have no compunction in setting, and often getting, big prices for their players when they move on. We on the other hand often seem to settle for relative peanuts. Lets hope we've learned by now.

For a young, International keeper, surely we should be looking at at least £100K. Don't forget that Partick, no doubt, will be in for a slice of whatever we get, so I hope we don't sell him cheaply. Other Spl clubs have no compunction in setting, and often getting, big prices for their players when they move on. We on the other hand often seem to settle for relative peanuts. Lets hope we've learned by now.

Partick get hee haw, Tuffey was a free agent when he joined us.

Edited by ajsict92

I have not had the chance to see Tuffey in action this last season but watching him tonight v Wales I see a keeper who's still very much learning the game. A keeper who's not confident and commanding. He's still very young and would probably benefit more from staying as understudy to Esson and learning from Steve Marsala. Excellent keepers dont usually reach their best till 28+ so he has a ways to go yet.

From the BBC report on the match tonight

Irish keeper Tuffey failed to deal with two high balls after Bellamy's initial corner and a further weak punch from the custodian was slammed into the roof of the net by Ramsey.

Doesn't sound like the form of a ?100,000 keeper to me. Mind you, it must be difficult to be at your best when the official attendance is only 529.