Barclays Scottish Open

MrCaleyjag

Anyone watching the Scottish Open this weekend? I've been watching it both days so far and am a bit peeved that I can't get up for at least one day as it's a great day out and the weather today looks good.

It's great to see that the area can attract such a prestigious tournament a week before the Open and also take it away from Loch Lomond.

I have actually set my PVR to record todays coverage on the golf channel ...... not so much to watch the golf itself, but to get a look at the course and to hear what the commentators are saying about it and the area ......

It was kinda nice to pull up the programme listing on my cable box this morning and see the description say : "Live coverage of the Scottish Open Golf Tournament from Castle Stuart, Inverness, Scotland"

not so much to watch the golf itself, but to get a look at the course and to hear what the commentators are saying about it and the area ......

Regular users of this site will know that I'm not really a golf fan at all. But I have to say I've quite got into this one, albeit with a fair degree of empathy with what Scotty has said. Indeed the TV coverage must be absolutely great for the Invernessian Disapora.

The coverage of Inverness and the local area has been quite enormous and it was great to see "the town" buzzing last night with a huge crowd listening to the Gaelic Choir at the Castle with others watching Highland Dancing at the Town Hall and piping on the High Street. I also heard an anecdote from Cafe 1 that it had never been busier.

I think I'll maybe make a foray out from the Social Club tonight and take a wander down town.

Unfortunately, though, there have been the inevitable and predictable bloopers. Apart from Yngwie's Castle Douglas anecdote, one programme about the event was showing "local landmarks" and apparently these included the Glenfinnan Viaduct. :redcard: The Culloden Viaduct would have done fine!

Wednesday night's BBC weather forecast also unfortunately spelled the course StEWart.... and the dot locating it on the map was actually on the Black Isle round about Avoch or Munlochy. :redcard:

But the projection of the local area has been brilliant, although I just wonder how many more different ways the news pages will contrive to tell us "it's good for the local economy" (shock!)

As I write, I'm listening to live commentary on Radio Scotland 810 Medium Wave where one of the commentators is Inverness's own Gillian Stewart. Unfortunately, an irish commentator keeps referring to Martin "Lard". Which reminds me....I'm just waiting to hear how impressive and imposing Colin Montgomerie's "backside" has been. :biggrin:

A few months ago, I did (in jest I have to say) make the suggestion to the Head of Radio Scotland, that instead of commentary through the medium of the customary reverential whispering, we should do an Open All Mics with a reporter at each hole.

Get Chic, Jim Spence and Sandra Brown on the job! :amazed:

"HOOOOOOOOOOOLLLE at the fifteenth!!!! A phenomenal drive from the tee... a neat chip to the green.... and a brilliant finish with a thirty foot putt for a phenomenal eagle. Paul Lawrie.... NINE under par!"

Well it would certainly liven things up!

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Update... play has just been "temporarily" suspended.... more thunder. The players are marking their balls.

That's the typical Highland summer because Inverness, eight miles away, has had no more than a sharp shower with not a hint of thunder.

I'm now hearing that Tournament Director Mike Stewart(who is Gillian Stewart's brother) has a lightning meter and when it records a lightning strike within 5 miles of the course, play has to be suspended.

There seems to be some doubt as to how quickly play could resume so Round 2 may well not be completed today.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Play suspeded for the day. I'm soaked through although it is bone dry at home on the Black Isle. The rain this afternoon has been most unfortunate but up till then it has been a first class event. Great course and top quality play. Should be a great finish on Sunday. If it is a fairly tight finish the lead could change quite a bit in the closing holes with the lay out of the course. If you are in two minds whether to go or not, my advice is to go, you won't regret it.

Play suspeded for the day. I'm soaked through although it is bone dry at home on the Black Isle. The rain this afternoon has been most unfortunate but up till then it has been a first class event. Great course and top quality play. Should be a great finish on Sunday. If it is a fairly tight finish the lead could change quite a bit in the closing holes with the lay out of the course. If you are in two minds whether to go or not, my advice is to go, you won't regret it.

Radio Scotland is now reporting that play is also suspended today until at least 2pm after heavy overnight rain flooded the course.

This is extremely unfortunate.

Shame the weather,which is the only element the organisers have no control over is causing such problems,I am along in Buckie just now and we had a fantastic round of golf last night in beautiful summer evening sunshine, hard to believe the difference in a few miles. Agree with Charles about the cringeworthy Harry Potter railway stuff for the tourists, I was shouting at the telly when they were running that,but otherwise the portrayal of the area and coverage is first class.

Just as well Neil Lennons no a golfer or he'd be jumpin up and doon blaming the groundsman for not keeping the course playable In monsoons :tongueincheek:

Edited by Heilandee

What incredible thunder and lightning. From about 3.30 till 5 this morning we just watched out the window and it was spectacular. Even the kids couldn't sleep. There was almost a sound of music moment singing raindrops and roses, whiskers on kittens etc. Shame about the golf though it is clearing up now and hopefully with it being a links course should dry off reasonably quickly.

What incredible thunder and lightning. From about 3.30 till 5 this morning we just watched out the window and it was spectacular. Even the kids couldn't sleepThere was almost a sound of music moment singing raindrops and roses, whiskers on kittens etc. Shame about the golf though it is clearing up now and hopefully with it being a links course should dry off reasonably quickly.

Judging by my facebook today, i dont think anyone slept thro it......lots of cat naps going on in sneck this afties :twothumbsup:

I hope nobody took my advice and went to the golf today!

Just about the worst scenario possible for the organisers and sponsors.So many folk put so much effort, energy and no small financial input to make this a fantastic event for the area,only for freak localised extreme water to wreak havoc. Hopefully weather holds the morn so a conclusion can be reached or the games a bogey :irritated:

Just about the worst scenario possible for the organisers and sponsors.So many folk put so much effort, energy and no small financial input to make this a fantastic event for the area,only for freak localised extreme water to wreak havoc. Hopefully weather holds the morn so a conclusion can be reached or the games a bogey :irritated:

Localised....i think the storm clouds had tickets to watch the golf all day on saturday. They seemed hell bent on not moving from the area all day!

Edited by SMEE

Judging by my facebook today, i dont think anyone slept thro it

I did! First I heard about it was when my radio alarm came on and I heard about it on the Radio Scotland 8am sports bulletin.

It seems to have been order, counter order, disorder latterly out there today. Apparently after several delays they decided to start at 7:30pm. The players were out on the course, and then they changed their minds and pulled them all back in again.

I drove through to Forres round about 1pm but took the Nairnside road to avoid any traffic. From up there you could actually see a great black cloud hovering over Castle Stuart but it was bone dry a couple of miles on both sides of the course.

I was at the Forres - less than 20 miles from Castle Stuart but completely dry until it began to rain just a little right at the end. Then when I drove back, I hit torrential rain a couple of miles east of Nairn.

This tournament has been incredibly unlucky, not only to get the worst weather to hit the area for years, but also much of the time to get it quite selectively with really nice weather quite close by.

My Borhters mate was at Lossiemouth yesterday...saying on Facebook that it was about 21C, sunny and was going to have a BBQ!

Funny thing, weather. Today was the opposite of Thursday - black clouds over Inveness and the Black Isle but Castle Stuart staying mostly dry with just a couple of light showers. Another great day's golf but a shame Donald stretched away from the field so there was not a tense finish. However, young Scott Jamieson hung in well for joint third and a place in next week's open virtue of being just inches away from a hole in one at the par 3 17th and a 10 ft birdie put on the last. The weather may have created havoc but the organisation was great and I'm sure everyone will be pleased to come back again next year. Hopefully the wind will blow next year and the greens will be drier and faster to be a bit more of a test. I would hate to see the course drop off the list of championship venues because it is considered too easy.

. Hopefully the wind will blow next year and the greens will be drier and faster to be a bit more of a test. I would hate to see the course drop off the list of championship venues because it is considered too easy.

My thoughts exactly! When pro's can reach par 4's with a 5 iron there's something no quite right. I understand wanting birdies and eagles to make viewing more exciting but it has to be with skill and guile not just due to several holes which are patently too easy. IMHO the fairways need tightening up and possibly some more strategic bunkering.That said, all credit to all concerned on the building of the course and bringing a competition of this calibre to the area,and well done for dragging it back from the brink and getting a successful if not so exciting conclusion.I'm sure lessons will be learned and next year will be great experience.

I might be wrong, but was it not just awarded to Castle Stuart for 1 year?

If so, what are the chances of it being retained? The place has been extremely unlucky and deserves another chance IMO, but you couldn't blame people for pointing out that it was a risk that failed and didn't meet expectations.

I might be wrong, but was it not just awarded to Castle Stuart for 1 year?

If so, what are the chances of it being retained? The place has been extremely unlucky and deserves another chance IMO, but you couldn't blame people for pointing out that it was a risk that failed and didn't meet expectations.

As I understand it,it was provisionally 3 years with options.It was always moving from Loch Lomond this year due to financial problems there and originally was due to move to the Rennaisance course in East Lothian but 3 holes were deemed unacceptable and Castle Stuart was awarded the Scottish open.With THE open being held at Muirfied which is "over the wall" from the Rennaisance in 2013 I reckon Castle Stuart will keep the Scottish for 3 years as planned, any other decision would be extremely harsh IMO,and it will then move to Rennaisance as planned.

Looks positive

Edited by Heilandee

. Hopefully the wind will blow next year and the greens will be drier and faster to be a bit more of a test. I would hate to see the course drop off the list of championship venues because it is considered too easy.

My thoughts exactly! When pro's can reach par 4's with a 5 iron there's something no quite right. I understand wanting birdies and eagles to make viewing more exciting but it has to be with skill and guile not just due to several holes which are patently too easy. IMHO the fairways need tightening up and possibly some more strategic bunkering.That said, all credit to all concerned on the building of the course and bringing a competition of this calibre to the area,and well done for dragging it back from the brink and getting a successful if not so exciting conclusion.I'm sure lessons will be learned and next year will be great experience.

Yes, I echo the sentiments of the two posters above. Luke Donald is not the longest off the tee but he made it look like a pitch and putt course. Having said that, I'd love to play it. Most of the championship courses I've been lucky enough to play are so long nowadays that I can barely reach any of the par 4s in two. Castle Stuart I think I'd have a chance.

I dont pretend to know much about golf. BUT....going by waht everyone is saying.....surely the Courses claim to be a Par x,y,or z just cant be plucked out of air? Surely there has to be some sort of system for working out each hole, and ESPECIALLY if one of the top competitions is to be played there, you think those charged with organising the events would scrutinise the course?

Unless they have moved the goalposts, it's worked out on distance usually, although the competition players will verify that.

Incidentally, Graeme McDowell who hinted at the course being too easy.................sank a 15 foot putt for a nine at one of the holes, aye, easy right enuff Graeme.

They are all easy if you hit the fairway and green in regulation, therein lies many an amateurs problem.

Taken from wikipedia which may be near enough:-

The key factor for classifying the par of a hole is the distance from the tee to the green. A typical par-3 hole is less than 250 yards (225 m) in length, with a par-4 hole ranging between 251 and 475 yards (225?434 m), and a par-5 hole being longer than 475 yards (435 m). The rare par-6s can stretch well over 650 yards (595 m).

You normally find that a par five hole would have a smaller green as you would be expected to be near the green with your second shot, thus making the third approach to the green a short pitch (hopefully)

The issues at Castle Stuart as I understand it from a scoring perspective is that the fairways were too wide at the driving distance and too generous, ie, the rough was not very heavy and the bunkers could have been more intrusive. However, take yer normal Jack the Lad round here and he will probably return scores in the nineties.

These guys are experts, in fact Luke Donald is the current world number 1 and he made it look easy because he was at the top of his game.

"The issues at Castle Stuart as I understand it from a scoring perspective is that the fairways were too wide at the driving distance and too generous, ie, the rough was not very heavy and the bunkers could have been more intrusive"

When i was watching on Saturday, i did pick up on one of the Commentators saying that you could also putt when you werent on the green. Which i thought, mibees hes saying that the course is so well looked after, that you can do that, then i thought mibees it wasnt meant to be praise, and more along the lines of a negative thing about the course

The coverage I saw was a mixture of Golf Channel guys and .... Dougie Donnelly !!!

Donnelly was fairly talking up the course and the area so fair play to him, but a few of them mentioned the perceived simplicity of the course due to a lack of rough, wide fairways, and the short par 4s, especially on the first day when there was very little wind. Although Dougie did also try to play that down by mentioning that "normal" people could actually play and enjoy it without having to have the pinpoint accuracy of a pro (just about the time every pro was going wide to the right and behind hoardings on a particular hole - cant remember which one).

I think the whole principle of a links course is that the pros expect to be battered by sea winds coming in and that the actual course itself can be simple. The combination of clever hole design, pin placement and the elements are what sets it apart. Take the wind out of that and it becomes a little too easy for a pro.

Here's hoping this new course adjusts a few things for next year's competition and maybe even toughens the course up a few weeks before the competition by letting some rough grass grow, maybe adding a few hazards at the typical pro driving distances and more clever pin placement.