What to do and see in Inverness

bigjohn

English friends(40yr old or so) of a friend are coming to Scotland on holiday in a few weeks time. Because I come up to watch the football they think I'm an expert in what to do and see in Inverness. I know the basics, but could someone be so kind as to suggest whats the best things for them to do while they visit? They are only there for a couple of days as they are doing all of Scotland in a four week tour. Thanks in advance

Depends what budget they have? Are they mobile (with car)?

Jacobite cruises is a great trip and there are different tours with different budgets. I went on the "Passion" (I know :ninja: ) tour in May and the weather was lovely so they may get lucky too.

Tell them to have a look on Trip Advisor. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g186543-Inverness_Scottish_Highlands_Scotland-Hotel-Deals.html

I was up at Durness at the weekend too visitted Smoo Cave which is well worth a visit if you're in the area.

I also knew there was a cosmic radiation shower due so kept the girls up in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights. It didn't really occur to me that brighter nights in the summer would have such a big effect (doh!), we did however see several patterns (like green searchlights but nothing like the "shimmering net curtains" I've seen before) in the sky which I recognised as being "the lights" so at least they can say they've seen them. I'll take them back again.

Check for solar activity here and if they're lucky and have a clear night they could be in for a treat as the nights draw in.

A lot of things to do surrounding Inverness, most of which would require a car or use of public transport

Culloden battlefield

Fort George

Brodie Country Fayre

Brodie Castle

Urquhart Castle

Dolphin watching at Chanonry or on one of the boats

Distillery Tours - plenty of distilleries within a short drive away.

Or if they are more adventurous there are watersports,hiking,walking and cycling around the Aviemore way

Edited by Libero

Further affield..if they're driving that is then a visit to West coast is must:-

Isle of Skye (go via Glenelg..much more fun)

Plockton / Loch Carron

Isle of Mull

Applecross (go over the Pass..cracking little pub there too)

Gairloch (Old Mill Inn is good)

Mallaig (ferry to Skye)

Fort William (if only for Ben Nevis. the town itself isn't up to much)

Durness / Smoo Cave

Kyle of Tongue (head north on the Talmine / Melness road..very remote)

Thanks for all the worthwhile replies, It's much appreciated. They will now have loads of things to keep them occupied for duration of their visit. They have a car and loads of money and will be touring all of Scotland but have decided to extend their stay at Inverness because I keep going on about how lovely it is up there. I know loads about Caithness as I have stayed approx eight weeks a year there over the last 12yrs, but have only basic knowledge of Inverness. I'll prob end up living in the Inverness area. It would be strange if I did as I do more away games than home games.

The Highlands is obviously a great area and Inverness is a good base to explore it from, but what is there for visitors in the city itself?

A bridge and a castle. An evening with Schehallion at the Gelly. An assortment of excellent restuarants. Loads of street entertainment. Nearly as much up there as there is in Perth.

Karaoke in MacCallums is a must, good ole highland culture :twothumbsup:

dougal

You could sign them in to the Portland Club, dougal.

I hate to disappoint you danger but i'm not a member of said establishment

Not a post of yours go by without reference to the Orcs take it you will be travelling to the game tomorrow from the Portland snug bar on the True Blue bus???

Anyway back on topic I recommend a doner kebab from Max's at the end of nights drinking in Inverness. After a few pints it goes down a treat with me :twothumbsup:

dougal

Ditch max's go to zoom just round corner

Is that the tiny wee place where only one or two could get in at a time?

If so i've never purchased from there before take it you rate the doner's in their Luke?

They would have to be good to beat Max's in my book

dougal

Karaoke in MacCallums is a must, good ole highland culture :twothumbsup:

dougal

You could sign them in to the Portland Club, dougal.

I hate to disappoint you danger but i'm not a member of said establishment

Not a post of yours go by without reference to the Orcs take it you will be travelling to the game tomorrow from the Portland snug bar on the True Blue bus???

Anyway back on topic I recommend a doner kebab from Max's at the end of nights drinking in Inverness. After a few pints it goes down a treat with me :twothumbsup:

dougal

Aye, see you on the huns bus mate.

Option 1

Inverness to Skye,Urquhart castle, Brochs at Glenelg,The castle at Dornie,Skye Portree and the A855 north, then Uig to the outer Hebrides, enjoy Harris,eat some Stornoway black pudding, ferry to Ullapool, buy some tat. head north to Achmelvich beach for a picnic in your waterproofs, Smoo cave, enjoy the views along the northers shores. day trip to Orkney and John de Groat. (only for them to say they have been) How long have you got?

Option 2 chill out in Inverness and unwind

Around Inverness, Falls of Foyers, Muir of Ord Distillery, loch Ness cruise, weather permitting.