Are you a member of a union?

Dmacca

Or people whose addresses were released against an Act of Parliament. Would you be so flippant if you were approached by someone you don't know but knows a bit about you such as the school your children go to? Were they disciplined?

The sensible thing to do in those circumstances would have been to give the information to the pupils to take home.

nobody broke the law a judge sad so

this forum once again is full of frivolous cooments

i was just explaining we it is useful to be in a union

if you have nothing sensible to say - say nought

Of course the law was broken. People get off on technicalities every day...doesn't make it right and doesn't mean they weren't guilty. Not only that, but people break the law every day and never get caught....it doesn't make them innocent either.

It would be extremely naive to think otherwise.

There was young lad name Manny,

Who at times was a bit of a fanny,

He gave Laurence a hard time,

As his posts they did not rhyme,

And........................................................

Missing line anyone?

No offence intended TM4TJ :wink:

There was young lad name Manny,

Who at times was a bit of a fanny,

He gave Laurence a hard time,

As his posts they did not rhyme,

And........................................................

Missing line anyone?

No offence intended TM4TJ :wink:

then went out on strike wi the Janny

Not having been into this thread for a while I found the exchange between CD and marks to be extremely interesting and well conducted. Whatever lawrence was on about I dont know so I'll leave that aside.

The first thing I want to point out to anyone who thinks Unions and trusts are the same is this: A union committee is made up of persons elected by the membership who's sole purpose is to protect the terms and conditions of its membership, protect and promote the safety of all workers and to negotiate improvements in terms and conditions. (That is exactly how it was worded at TGWU college Cirencester way back around 81).

The Supporters Trust Board is made up of elected members who's purpose is to promote a sustainable spectator sports club based on supporter involvement and community ownership.

To me there is a vast difference between the two bodies. I am a member of the Trust (though I think I may have forgotten to pay my fee this year) and I am also a Union member.

Way back in 81 I was a shop steward and very much involved in the labour movement at that time. I spent time at Cirencester College and read up as much as I could find (no t'internet then) on workers rights and employment law etc. In 83' a strike was called for more money. The workforce were asking for a five percent rise. The company offered three. After two weeks on strike we returned to work having negotiated the five percent. Yes we got our five percent but had to lose out on other perks (like subsidised meals) We also sold out on our holidays by agreeing a rota that incorporated all our entitlement. So where we could choose when to take our holidays before this strike we were now being told when we could go on holiday.

All that was bad enough but what was worse was that I was now heavily in debt. I still had bills and mortgage to pay but had lost two weeks wages. Back then it took me nine months to get out of that debt and back to some sort of stability. Did the Union help me and all the other two thousand guys in the same position? Did they hell. And there ended my desire and involvement in the labour movement of that time.

Way back in 81 I was a shop steward and very much involved in the labour movement at that time. I spent time at Cirencester College and read up as much as I could find (no t'internet then) on workers rights and employment law etc. In 83' a strike was called for more money. The workforce were asking for a five percent rise. The company offered three. After two weeks on strike we returned to work having negotiated the five percent. Yes we got our five percent but had to lose out on other perks (like subsidised meals) We also sold out on our holidays by agreeing a rota that incorporated all our entitlement. So where we could choose when to take our holidays before this strike we were now being told when we could go on holiday.

All that was bad enough but what was worse was that I was now heavily in debt. I still had bills and mortgage to pay but had lost two weeks wages. Back then it took me nine months to get out of that debt and back to some sort of stability. Did the Union help me and all the other two thousand guys in the same position? Did they hell. And there ended my desire and involvement in the labour movement of that time.

But the paid officials still received there huge salaries, drove luxury cars and stayed in fancy hotels. All paid for by you and me. Like you Alex, not any more.

Andy Gilchrist finished it.