Castle Stuart

Ten4

I hope the news that Barclays have ended their sponsorship of the Scottish Open does not bring an immature end to the championship at Castle Stuart - bit of shock news really.

I suspect you mean "premature", and on that basis I strongly agree with you. Certainly Barclays have firmly denied that the weather problems at July's event at Castle Stuart had anything to do with their pulling out of the sponsorship and they cite the current financial climate.

You could say "they would, wouldn't they" but it really doesn't surprise me to see a bank pleading poverty the way things are going. On the other hand maybe Barclays need the cash to pay executives' bonuses but whatever the details, I think the biggest concern has to be that Castle Stuart isn't seen as the fall guy in this scenario.

They were so badly affected by what really were freak weather conditions and this should be fully realised. So should the fact that, apart from the weather, the championship gained a great number of positives from taking place there.

Was there not also some kind of commitment to stick with Castle Stuart?

I hope the news that Barclays have ended their sponsorship of the Scottish Open does not bring an immature end to the championship at Castle Stuart - bit of shock news really.

I suspect you mean "premature", and on that basis I strongly agree with you. Certainly Barclays have firmly denied that the weather problems at July's event at Castle Stuart had anything to do with their pulling out of the sponsorship and they cite the current financial climate.

You could say "they would, wouldn't they" but it really doesn't surprise me to see a bank pleading poverty the way things are going. On the other hand maybe Barclays need the cash to pay executives' bonuses but whatever the details, I think the biggest concern has to be that Castle Stuart isn't seen as the fall guy in this scenario.

They were so badly affected by what really were freak weather conditions and this should be fully realised. So should the fact that, apart from the weather, the championship gained a great number of positives from taking place there.

Was there not also some kind of commitment to stick with Castle Stuart?

When Castle Stuart was confirmed as the new Scottish Open venue it was confirmed for 3 years, i'm not sure if Barclays ending their sponsorship affects this at all.

I really hope that a new sponsor is secured and the open remains on our doorstep. I attended as much as the weather allowed and i had a great time. Everyone i spoke to had a great time and in general the players, spectators and media had a very positive view on the venue. Would be a travesty to see Castle Stuart lose the open IMO, really hope it doesnt happen

I would imagine that Barclay's pulling out has more to do with them having sponsored this event for ten years than the fact its now at Castle Stuart. Another sponsor will come in and there will. likely, be a further two events staged at CS. The only reason it came to Inverness is because Dundonald Links in Ayrshire (the preferred venue) is not going to be ready to stage such a competition for another two years. The competition itself would probably have stayed at Loch Lomond had it not been that the big names in the European Tour took a lot of persuading to come along. Those players wanted to compete on a links course in preparation for subsequent European Tour majors and generally went to Ireland for this. I think, when Dundonald is ready, the competition will be held their for its close proximity to Prestwick.

Where did ya hear that Alex? Never heard of Dundonald links being linked (sorry) with the open. As far as i am aware the Renaissance in East Lothian next to Muirfield was the other contender beside Castle Stuart.It was ruled out due to not having a clubhouse and 3 holes were deemed unsuitable. Castle Stuart was awarded the Open till 2014 as the (British) Open is at Muirfield in 2013 and authorities didnae want the two back to back over the wall fae each other.

Stepson-in-law is a golf course manager. He knew about Dundonald. They had applied for the Scottish open when it was mooted that the comp would move from Loch Lomond because the demand was for it to be played on a links course way back in 06. They had to make big changes there but when it came time to award the competition it was decided that Dundonald would need another three years of development work to make it ready. Hence it arrived at CS. The lad works in Jersey but had thoughts of moving back at that time if he could get management of a championship course in Scotland.

I hadn't heard that one Alex, but interesting to read Dundonald is owned by the Loch Lomond Golf Club, so obviously had a vested interest in keeping the Open to raise the profile ( and green fee's) of their course.As a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to golf ,i find it a wee bit sad and a tad galling the many superb and varied courses we are blessed with in Scotland are overlooked in favour of the latest "championship" development from some business consortium or other with a financial gain to be made (i include CS in this) when we have courses of the standards of Dornoch, Brora and Nairn. What price Balmeddie being awared the Ryder cup 2022 with Trumps financial muscle, following Celtic Manor as the latest new "must play" (at a cost) whilst Royal Aberdeen and Murcar sit adjacent with all the same attributes plus history and tradition on their side, The Rennaisance , where i believe the Scottish will end up in 2014 has several neighbouring courses at Gullane and North Berwick that would blow it out of the water in a golfing context but i'm resigned that the marketing men will have their way. :sad: