Why is Laurel Avenue a dual carriageway?

Charles Bannerman

2 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Residential Course in Witchcraft for Today, Inverness

witchcraft-course-inverness.pngWhether you are a serious student of Witchcraft and wish to learn more or are interested in Witchcraft and would like an Inverness based activity holiday with a difference, this course set in an Edwardian mansion near Inverness City centre is what you are looking for. [read more here]

Meditation and Spiritual Awareness Course, Inverness

spiritual-course-inverness.pngAllow yourself to be taken on a journey of discovery. Look into your place on the spiritual path, find your energy and hidden talents. Devina McCluskie is a natural spirit medium and holistic healer who has successfully combined her role as wife and mother of four with her spiritual work for many years. [read more here]

Both of our courses run simultaneously and commence with an informal welcome gathering on Friday from 4pm with tea and cake.

Should you be interested in taking part in either or both courses, please contact us.

Arrangements can be made for one to run concurrently with the other if required.

Och IHE haven't you heard Alistair Crawley's house burned down recently. You will have to set up a marquee if you want to hold that course on witchcraft in authentic

diabolical location.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

image.jpg

What a great photo! It can also be dated to within a relatively narrow time window. Dalneigh Primary School can be seen so that places it 1954 or later. However there's no sign even of the foundations of the houses that were started in about 1962 or 63 in the grass area in between St Margaret's and St Mungo roads. Also there's no sign of the pavilion and play park (see two posts ago) at the corner of St Valerie Avenue and St Ninian Drive which was also roughly contemporary with these houses. I've scoured the photo for other clues but can't spot anything.

Yes, totally agree, ......  a wonderful photo.

I can spot the T-beam house I moved from in Bruce Gardens in 1954 to the more traditional build in St Valery where my mother stayed until she passed away in 2007.

Interesting the variety of house types built in St Valery Ave,.........   Swedish, T- beam, "electric flats" and latterly the more traditional cavity brick walled. The T-beam were later  modified with apex rooves.

Can put names to countless families who stayed many years in and around the St Valery/St Andrew Drive junction......memories....happy times!!!!

I would guess circa 1958. 

Edited by een

6 hours ago, een said:

Can put names to countless families who stayed many years in and around the St Valery/St Andrew Drive junction......memories....happy times!!!!

Indeed one very conspicuous feature of the photo is the waste land between St Valery Ave and the canal which we always knew as "The back o' Kavvies'" (for some reason rather than "The back o' Der's"

One other resident of that junction was Dallas Fraser whom I was with playing in the foundations of the St Margaret's/St Mungo "new" houses when they were being built in the early 60s. Dallas fell on a foundation beam and badly burst his lip and I remember having to run the 300 yards to his house to get his mother. Then there was Ronnie Mitchell's mum who I think worked in Salvadori's, The Bankses, MacBeans, Mr Fraser the Hilton Headmaster, Bill Shand the future Firemaster a bit further down, the Camerons (Brian is no longer with us but Vic is still on the go). Happy times indeed.... including all those hours spent at "The back o' Kavvies'" playing football or cricket, re-fighting WW2, building the bonfire, "guarding" it in case boys from the Ferry came to create a premature conflagration and jumping from garage roof to garage roof.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord! The tall boy in the middle at the back (let's just keep this PC shall we?:lol:) looking as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth in his pre-Her Majesty's Pleasure era! I'd guess this photo dates from about 1963 or 1964. I'm afraid I can't help with any of the unknowns but I just have to look at the pic of Clair Rennie and I can smell the dreadful smell of what unfortunately ran down his leg one time we were doing Music and Movement in the GP room. Alan Stevenson looks quite small in that photo but on the other hand he was maybe 2 or 3 years younger than the likes of Ronnie McQuiston (St Valery Ave) and I think is a year younger than I am. Second from the left in the front row is, I think, Alison BOWN (or maybe Bowen) but not Brown. The girl looks very like Sylvia Bown who was in my class who I do recollect had an older sister called Alison. I think they lived in Fairfield Rd near the corner of Hawthorn Drive. I also think that's the Davie Anderson from St Andrew Drive whose older brother Ian I sometimes speak to in Bannatynes.

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 7:23 AM, Charles Bannerman said:

That's me beside Billy Connolly in the back row.

How wonderful to see that photo, containing my two sisters-in-law - Pat and Margaret Wiseman (I married the other sister, Jen) who unfortunately are both now deceased.

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2015 at 7:35 AM, IBM said:

I stayed at no 9 the third house on the left from 1977-1982.

That must have been very close to the NELSON family - Donnie, Billy and Henry - what ever happened to Henry ?

20 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Get yer Methadone locally :smile:

pharmacy.jpg

I'm trying to remember which shop that was back in the 60s. Was it "Alicky" MacKenzie the grocer's or was it the butcher's or the Post Office? Until Christison's and Lawson's opened in the early 60s at the join between St Andrew Drive and Dalneigh Road, these were the nearest shops to south Dalneigh and indeed the only shops Dalneigh had.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm from Glasgow but living in Manchester England currently. Considering a job offer in Inverness but means moving back up. What areas should I avoid if any, I found this via google. Any further input would be much appreciated.

Hilton, South Kessock (or the ferry as it’s locally known), Raigmore, Culloden, Smithton. prettymuch got all the dumps there, dalneigh's a bit **** also, none of them are that bad though, the last 3 are pretty tame, just kind of soulless. you could live in all of those places and probably never have any trouble as long as you arent dressed to attract attention.