driving in the snow!

lauraness

hello

i just passed my flipping test last summer and already had to try and drive up THE massive HILL (if you know where i live, you know about THE massive HILL) in the snow and almost died a death to remember. and its an AUTOMATIC car i have!!!

i had it in winter mode which i think means it skips the 1st gear out, but it was swooshing all over the place. SO how do you drive an automatic car in the snow without falling off the edge of a cliff?

i was trying to build up a bit of momento coming at the hill of doom, but how fast should you be going?

advice welcome :twothumbsup:

Winter tyres are great but not everyone can afford them, although I think some places let you 'rent' them and they'll store your normal tyres till after the winter. Our car is a manual but one of the work vans I drive is an automatic (it has no winter mode). It is harder in the auto to feel the vehicle as its about to slip like you can in the manual and take action, all I can say is to take it easy and be gentle with it, if you feel it is going to slide, ease off, correct and try again gently, try to keep your revs down as much as poss. If you come to a complete stop on a hill though it can be difficult to get going again, but better that than sliding into oncoming traffic!.

Get your existing tyre treads checked, any decent tyre place will do this for free, get a second opinion if you are told they are too worn, just incase someone is taking the P. Is your car rear wheel drive? They are notorious for being bad in the snow!

My tuppance anyway hope this is of some help.

EDIT- Crap spelling.

Edited by fraz

If it is rear wheel drive put a bag of sand/grit in the boot for weight along with a shovel in case you get stuck.

Snow socks are a relatively cheap item but you need to take them off the tyres when you clear the snow or drive really slowly but they'll still disintegrate on the tarmac.

Do automatics not allow you to select a certain gear? Rather than D/R/N/P are there not also be a 1/2 on certain models? If so select 2 and pull away gently.

Trying to get momentum to get up the hill is not controlled enough to guarantee taking corners on your ascent.

Buy some winter tyres - it will make a huge difference to driving in snow/slush etc.

This...OR.......you need to get yourself a 4X4. Both involve parting with dosh. Its either that or just take your chances in the conditions. Driving on ice/snow can be scary, but they trick is to resist slamming on brakes, as you will probably make things worse.

Edited by SMEE

see when i'm driving along with it in D can i move it into manual whenever i like or do i have to stop it and then put it into manual,(you just move it over to the left a little and then its just up down on the gear stick and no clutch, i haven't tried it yet. ) ???

If it is rear wheel drive put a bag of sand/grit in the boot for weight along with a shovel in case you get stuck.

Snow socks are a relatively cheap item but you need to take them off the tyres when you clear the snow or drive really slowly but they'll still disintegrate on the tarmac.

Do automatics not allow you to select a certain gear? Rather than D/R/N/P are there not also be a 1/2 on certain models? If so select 2 and pull away gently.

Trying to get momentum to get up the hill is not controlled enough to guarantee taking corners on your ascent.

i think it's front wheel drive? its a wee peugeot thingy

see when i'm driving along with it in D can i move it into manual whenever i like or do i have to stop it and then put it into manual,(you just move it over to the left a little and then its just up down on the gear stick and no clutch, i haven't tried it yet. ) ???

You need to stop first. Or you could slam on the brakes and make the car think you're parked? :getmecoat:

You need to stop first. Or you could slam on the brakes and make the car think you're parked? :getmecoat:

how come? i hate stopping

how come? i hate stopping

You shouldn't need to stop the car to select manual as the gearbox will have locks in place to stop you selecting the wrong gears anyway.

I have an automatic and find the "manual" mode helps a lot in the winter.

The trick to hills in slippy conditions is to keep the momentum going (even if the wheels are spinning), drive as smoothly as possible - no rapid changes in direction and don't ever slam on the brakes.

whatever you do be very careful in the snow and ice - sometimes it's better to be safe and not travel at all !!

hello

i just passed my flipping test last summer and already had to try and drive up THE massive HILL (if you know where i live, you know about THE massive HILL) in the snow and almost died a death to remember. and its an AUTOMATIC car i have!!!

i had it in winter mode which i think means it skips the 1st gear out, but it was swooshing all over the place. SO how do you drive an automatic car in the snow without falling off the edge of a cliff?

i was trying to build up a bit of momento coming at the hill of doom, but how fast should you be going?

advice welcome :twothumbsup:

She's playing you all ........... surely?

Top wind up Laura.

:rotflmao:

Just in case you are serious, Lauraness, you can always come to Canada and have a go here. If you can't drive in the snow after that, just park at he bottom of the hill.

Cars generally come in two versions. Manual and Automatic. If in manual you control the engine revolutions with the use of the gear stick. In automatic, usually you cannot move the gear stick sideways at all--only up and down but, as the man said above, you can't put in into reverse by mistake because the car has a lock on it to prevent this.. Here are a couple of extra tips,

1. If it starts to get icy, SLOW DOWN.

2. If it starts to get icy don't try to go down a hill because one touch of the brakes can be fatal.I know, it happened to me and as my car gathered speed in LOW GEAR with the brakes useless I slowly smacked into a parked car and ended up facing uphill. That was not yesterday but I will remember the horrible feelings always.

3, Stop the car and walk up the hill.

4. Ask Scotty for advice . He lives in Toronto on he east coast of Canada where they get large gobs of snowfalls and he will teach you everything you need to know about how to drive in the snow. He comes out to British Columbia here on the west coast when he hears

we have had a dump and splits his sides laughing at Westerners trying to drive in the snow and ice.

P.S. This has to be a wind-up. :rolleyes:

2. If it starts to get icy don't try to go down a hill because one touch of the brakes can be fatal.I know, it happened to me

Aaaaagh, from the people who brought you Pimple, and Son of Pimple, we now have............

Ghost of Pimple :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Agree 1

4. Ask Scotty for advice . He lives in Toronto on he east coast of Canada where they get large gobs of snowfalls and he will teach you everything you need to know about how to drive in the snow.

Indeed !

I resisted the temptation to comment until now ..... but yes, we do get loads of snow in Winter (not as much as Quebec though, where Winter Tires are a legal requirement for residents of that province). My commute to work is quite long and takes in side streets, normal roads and segments of three different highways so I have seen it all I think.

I have a 4WD so I usually feel quite safe in winter, but my best advice - other than that already given in this thread - is to give the weather (at any time of the year) the respect it deserves .... dont drive too fast or too stupidly, but equally dont drive too slow or timidly. I have had 2 cars since I have been here, the first a normal 4 door "sedan" which was a bit hairy in the snow but did me fine for 4 years if I was careful in dodgy weather, the current one an SUV with V6 engine, traction/stability control and 4WD that either comes on automatically when needed or can be chosen manually. The car itself is an automatic, but I can also control the gears manually if I slide the stick to the right and choose manual mode.

I have never had Winter Tires, and just stick to the normal "all-season" tires that are supplied with new cars over here, although I did consider a third class of tire I heard about for the first time in the last few weeks called "all-weather" which are rated for both summer and winter driving .... they can be left on all year round and they dont wear down so fast if you leave them on in summer compared to leaving winter ones on (although they do wear down quicker than all-seasons), and they also have the symbol (of a mountain and snow) that shows they are also rated as winter tires (unlike all-seasons)..... May still have to get something though as I have a feeling that the current tires will not see out the winter ... the tread over most of the surface in the centre is fine, but they suffer from that age old SUV problem of higher wear and tear on the outside edges so sometimes squeal on tight bends and may not push the snow/ice away from the tires as effectively.

We are quite lucky in Toronto ... we know there is going to be snow, and we can usually predict how much and when, well in advance as most years are typical .... that means that there are gritters and ploughs on the roads very quickly and the main roads and bus routes can be clear very rapidly. I have no fear over my own driving, I am a good driver, and I am always aware of my surroundings and the weather, but its the other drivers who scare me ... There are so many bad drivers, or drivers who just cannot or will not drive according to the road conditions that I always fear I will get into a smash in the winter .... My one driving quirk is that I am almost paranoid about my brakes failing and always get my mechanic to check them on every service ... that fear is the one that doubles in winter :lol:.

Ghost of Pimple? You are very bright Mantis, sharp really. -- at least I am not a vampire which is the current genre...eh? I am all-white, red and smooth --except where there are pimples of course. :biggrin:

Reading Scotty's account I am glad I live in B.C. even if the incessant rain is a pain dans la derriere. Snowfalls were formerly so rare that one would exit the house to look up at the flakes when they did arrive; but in recent years big dumps and more frequent falls are becoming a scary norm. This year has been awful- wet and cold most of the time with sunshine a very rare occurrence.

no i am bloody serious! i live in the most stupid place on earth. there is two roads to get here...1 is miles of crappy coast road and 2 is over a damn stupid hill, and i had a bad experience the other day trying to get up it, and it was not good.

AND THEY NEVER GRIT AT ACHNASHEEN!! it is either water logged or covered in snow, i hate that road...

• 2 weeks later...