Your Scotland....

Action Man

Actionman, thats why so many Scots hold high office in Westminster.

Glebeict, I was thinking more of the first clearout of 1746 where the Jacobite supporters were forced to leave the country. If only the Prince hadn't taken advice from the royal sympathisers and had continued his march into London instead of turning back things could have been so much different today.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today in Holyrood our esteemed First Minister deferred a question by the SNP regarding the European Competition Commission to Westminster, this could have serious adverse effects for Scotland but we are told this is not a devolved issue. The Spanish are doing the SMASH dance as we speak, :rotflmao:,

and there is nothing we can do about it.

Until May.

To be honest I see nothing wrong with a Spanish outfit buying Scottish Power. Just a pity they didnt choose British Gas.

Politicians are shouting of about this but nobody minded when Scottish Hydro swallowed up a few companies south of the border to become Scottish and Southern which is now one of the biggest energy companies in Britian with over 5 million customers.

Today in Holyrood our esteemed First Minister deferred a question by the SNP regarding the European Competition Commission to Westminster, this could have serious adverse effects for Scotland but we are told this is not a devolved issue. The Spanish are doing the SMASH dance as we speak, :rotflmao:,

and there is nothing we can do about it.

Until May.

Good on ya, AM..... I never voted before in the Scottish elections thanks to the that bl0ody awful & blo0dy expensive building occupied by a bunch of expenses fidling numpties like failed footballer Henry McLeish, and taxi for McLatchie, and many more....

less than 50% voted for them at the last election.... I reckon it will be very different this time around.

It's time for change..... :022:

To be honest I see nothing wrong with a Spanish outfit buying Scottish Power. Just a pity they didnt choose British Gas.

Politicians are shouting of about this but nobody minded when Scottish Hydro swallowed up a few companies south of the border to become Scottish and Southern which is now one of the biggest energy companies in Britian with over 5 million customers.

Thats the whole point Alex, a Scottish company growing successfully and buying other companies is a plus, not selling off our assets for a quick buck, peseto, or whatever. Of course nobody minded Scottish Hydro being successful, did you want them to fail? That sums up the " can't do it on our own" mentality perfectly.

And the latest labour arguement.........................An independant Scotland will be an easy target for Al Quaeda.

So, in other words, if we (labour) cant find any hard facts about the economy etc to convince the voters lets try and scare the sh!t out of them.

How much more pathetic can they get.

Probably lots! :014:

The current " parcel of rogues " cannot come up with one decent, well founded, vote winning arguement for the status quo establishment.

As this is the case, may I present my petition to parliament..................................................

GIRUY... :33: :moon2:

Yeah... Like Ireland, Iceland & Norway have been attacked and/or over~run by al Quaeda.....

What with these comments and last week's comments about people with relations in England, who will struggle to see them again...plus border posts at Gretna Green, it really does beggar belief that this is the best they can come up with.... Every time that plug ugly git, John Reid opens his mouth, along with Blair & Brown it must mean another couple of hundred recruits for the SNP....

I'd just like to see somebody trying to stop Gringo getting up here for an ICT match.....

Good to meet you yesterday, mate and also mustn't forget Mrs PB, Mee, TM4TJ & Caley100, and others...

It's time..... :022:

Guest donmac298

So what if there were border posts at Gretna?  I lived on the border between Germany and Holland for three years and I cannot remember there being any problems there.

I find the whole Labour (and Tory) arguements pathetic.  Unfortunately there are some gullible people out there who believe them.

Could be exciting times ahead for Scotland.... I never voted in the Scottish elections before, mainly because of the money that was squandered on that hideous parliament building, but I will certainly vote this time round, come next May...... :022:

It will be my first chance to vote in the Scottish election this year, and I already know where it's going.

Not one arguement from Labour or the Tories has convinced me the SNP will not be better than what we have had up until now.

It's time..... :022:

Yes it is...

It will be my first chance to vote in the Scottish election this year, and I already know where it's going.

Not one arguement from Labour or the Tories has convinced me the SNP will not be better than what we have had up until now.

Good on ya, Conival... :022:

Young folks are notorious for being totally disinterested in politics, I was when I was young, thinking my vote wouldn't change anything.....

It would be great to think now there's a whole new generation of first time voters, who believe that big changes for the better for Scotland are not only possible, they're just round the corner....

Scotland... Rise & be a nation again.... :021:

I have always had problems with the financial viability of an independent Scotland. Answers on a postcard for the following:

Most of the big companies in Scotland (RBS, ScottishPower, etc) are listed on the FTSE and are owned by their shareholders who are not necessarily Scottish. If Scotland becomes independent then what is to stop the big companies, which we are banking on to underpin the Scottish economy, relocating to England due to pressure from shareholders.

90% of the oil industry is in foreign ownership (i.e. not Scottish) and these companies’ UK head offices are in London. It is my understanding that tax is applied based on where your head office is, i.e. not Scotland.

Finally, do you honestly believe that the English government will turn round and say that if Scotland votes for independence that they can keep all tax revenue from oil? Not a chance and without a large portion of it is independence still viable.

Now just so you don’t all get angry with me, despite these concerns I have voted SNP in the past, call it heart overruling head.

There will be a mountain of stuff to be negotiated...There's no getting away from that... but regarding oil money, just think how the local Shetland economy has flourished by just renting out land & facilities to the oil companies. The ammenities in Shetland - the road network, sports centres, community centres, libraries, etc, etc are second to none... This wasn't negotiated for them by the Scottish Office or even the Westminster government....All this came about thanks to one Ian Clark, who was chief executive of Shetlands Island Council during the seventies....he negotiated directly with the oil companies to the great benefit of the Shetland people....

Now even Lord Fraser, the former Tory Lord Advocate, and one time passionate Unionist, has said he believes an independent Scotland could flourish under the right government... He has savaged labour arguements that Scotland & England would be divided by barbed wire, etc as hysterical nonsense.

It's time... :022:

Fair comments ICT_Away, but it could also work the other way with large businesses relocating to a flourishing independant Scotland.

Heres another thought after yesterdays news, when an independant Scotland declines to host Trident, where do you think the government will relocate them?

a/ Bournemouth

b/ Brighton

c/ Belfast

In answer to the oil revenue question. Some of the operating countries with interests in the North Sea have their head offices in USA and Canada. They still pay revenue to the country who's territorial waters they operate in. i.e UK, Norway. The majority of UK sector oil platforms and some gas producers would, in an independant Scotland, be within Scottish territorial waters so would pay revenue to a Scottish treasurey.

Large companies relocate all the time depending on what incentives they get from the countries they are in. This country of ours is very good at attracting new business. I dont see that changing any.

The parent company of a  few oil companies have their co-orporate headquarters in London but also have offices in Aberdeen for their North Sea operations. That wont change. As I said most companies are American or Canadian and have their head office in their own country but also have their operating offices in Aberdeen.

ICT-away, your questions are very valid and shouldn't anger anyone. Sadly those who are in control of the country at present find it difficult to answer them truthfully.

It gets better, they are going to introduce road charging tolls, while closing our rural shops, garages and post offices,forcing us to travel into city centres for basic necessities. Oh...and in case you didn't notice, the tax on fuel is going up again. Nice one Gordon!

I can't believe that I've not noticed this thread before now! After having returned from 3 years in the US 2 months ago, I can definately see a change towards a general consensus that independence would be good for Scotland. I've always thought that but now even some fairly cautious folk I know have come round to the same opinion. At the very least the people of Scotland should be allowed the chance to decide in a referendum (we are a democracy after all) - Labour seem determined to prevent even this and, to me, that's a sign of how scared they are. And their fear is in many ways very selfish. Gordon Brown, for instance, couldn't be Prime Minister if Scotland became independent. To people from other parts of the world who've got more perspective on the situation, there's absolutely no reason why Scotland shouldn't go on it's own. We are a discrete culture (even a genetically discrete for the most part!) and have FAR better economical potential than England. 300 years is far too long to have been ruled by a foreign country with their own selfish agenda. The continual rhetoric from the south over this period (and the atrocious attepmted ethnic/ cultural cleansing in the first third of this period!!!) has got into the subconcious of many Scots and hence the reluctance to go it alone. But I think the tide may be changing now and we need to grab this opportunity while we've got it. Even if the SNPs other policies are not all to my liking, I'll always vote for them so that we can have the opportunity to decide our own destiny...