A big weekend for big Les and CK events

Fancy seeing ICT v Dundee maself. If that happened I would be rocking all over the world the night before which would give me a reason for living and after the game that evening I would be saying stuff the Highland Connection from the City of Lights and thankful that we are'nt playing a Small Town.

That line up is enough to get me to emigrate. How about a much more entertaining weekend......

Thur 23rd Aug - New Order

Fri 24th Aug - The Stereophonics

Sat 25th Aug - Primal Scream

Sun 26th Aug - Paul Weller

• Agree 2

Sorted, if there was another 10,000 people of the same mind as yourself in the area willing to attend such concerts then I'm sure it would happen.

You and I make 2....all we need is another 9,998!!! :lol:

Taste is a matter of opinion. Just because some folk dont like whats on offer does not mean there wont be many people from all over the country making the effort to travel up for these gigs. Many of whom will require accomodation and will spend money in the city.

Belladrum line-up this year is the worst I've seen it.

Other commitments have always prevented me going in the past and I was all up for it this year...now I'm not so sure.

I think it looks decent, plus a couple of mates have bands who are playing, in particular the Whisky River Band. Who I reckon are very good, but then I would say that! Lol.

Other commitments have always prevented me going in the past and I was all up for it this year...now I'm not so sure.

Yer not wrong actually. Another bland , middle of the road, has been Scottish Band to headline. If its a dour day weather wise....Travis rather low key songs will not do much to raise the spirit of the crowd. Last year , Deacon Blue were SHOCKINLGY bad...so boring, and most of those who were there that i spoke to agree. Usually, there are at least a couple of acts im looking forward to seeing at belladrum, but this year....theres none so far....but im still going

That line up is enough to get me to emigrate. How about a much more entertaining weekend......

Theres NO reason as to why the Ironworks shouldnt be able to attract such acts....but they wont...coz there seems to be a severe lack of ambition at that place, and a penchant for tribute acts and anything that dont involve bringing good music to the highlands.

If i was in charge of the place, which i should be (:P) Id be touting the place as a venue for bands to come try out their new material on folks, before proper tour gets under way...a dry run if you like. but Naw.....as usual, and same is true for those behind JLS and Rockness.....they short change us and play it safe. I doubt any of them 4 nights in august will come anywhere near selling out. Runrig will sadly, probably come closest. Lets have some ambition for a change

Travis headlining - ive seen them twice - great band live.

Theres NO reason as to why the Ironworks shouldnt be able to attract such acts....but they wont...coz there seems to be a severe lack of ambition at that place, and a penchant for tribute acts and anything that dont involve bringing good music to the highlands.

If i was in charge of the place, which i should be (:P) Id be touting the place as a venue for bands to come try out their new material on folks, before proper tour gets under way...a dry run if you like. but Naw.....as usual, and same is true for those behind JLS and Rockness.....they short change us and play it safe. I doubt any of them 4 nights in august will come anywhere near selling out. Runrig will sadly, probably come closest. Lets have some ambition for a change

Easy to say when you are talking about spending other people's money to make these things happen.

There's lots of bands/acts I would love to see come to Inverness, but I don't imagine it's cheap to make it happen and whether we like it or not it's the cheesy stuff that guarantees the crowds and makes these private businesses money (the reason they are in the business).

Maybe we should be looking to the council to spend some of the hundreds of thousands from the "culture" budget they blow on fairy lights and idiots running around in costumes at the Islands on bringing a couple of popular bands/acts to the city instead?

Easy to say when you are talking about spending other people's money to make these things happen.

There's lots of bands/acts I would love to see come to Inverness, but I don't imagine it's cheap to make it happen and whether we like it or not it's the cheesy stuff that guarantees the crowds and makes these private businesses money (the reason they are in the business).

Maybe we should be looking to the council to spend some of the hundreds of thousands from the "culture" budget they blow on fairy lights and idiots running around in costumes at the Islands on bringing a couple of popular bands/acts to the city instead?

Thing is tho Don....yeah...decent acts wouldnt come cheaply, but....I, and many others would be willing to pay the premium should someone take the risk. Look at me.....I travelled to galsgow last night to see the Elvis live 2012 show at SECC.......that trip cost me about £130 all in all.....not to mention the 6 hrs of travelling. Im travelling to Fife in May to see James at a wee festival.....so probs cost a similar price. Point being...people WILL pay for quality....well....i believe they will, especially if its on their own doorstep

As i sed earlier, if i was in charge of the Ironworks, id be touting it as a venue for acts to come try out new material, before official tours start. Loads of band play small intimate gigs like that in the lead up to major tours....often to just hundreds of people. It doesnt always have to be about raking the money in

Edited by SMEE

• 2 weeks later...

PIL have just recorded new material. Paid over £150 to see them live about 25 years ago, would pay even more now. You could get bands up here who would sell out 10,000 easily, and if they attract that many they want there cut to be healthy. Foo Fighters sell out everywhere they go. All this wishy washy pop stuff just doesnt do it for me. Sisters of Mercy 25th anniversary concert in Las Vegas cost close to two grand.