PS3, CoD wont play online issue

SMEE

Recently, we have been unable to play CoD World at War, Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare II online. Can only play offline. I contacted Sony, they suggested it was the game, so i got in touch with Activision, who suggested trying the discs on another PS3. So i tried the discs on my neighbours sons PS3 and they worked fine online for him.

So i got back in touch with Sony. They then suggested my ps3 was faulty and wouldn need replaced. So, next day, i went out to buy a new one. Got home, set it all up, and STILL, i couldnt get online with the games. My son has Modern Warfare II at home and he says its the same story with him.

Having done some digging, it seems there has been a few people suffering simmilar issues with CoD games this year. Someone suggested it may have been a malicious hack. Someone else suggested that i try setting up a new profile on my PS3. So, i wiped the hard drive and set up a whole new profile and new PSN account, but no....the games still wont play.

Has anyone else suffered simmilar.....or....perhaps has some inside info or any idea as to what to try?

We can still play MW3 and Black ops online

Edited by SMEE

I've got a 360 and a PS3 but I don't have the CODs on PS3, only 360 so I can't even try them to see if they work OK for me. It seems that you have tried most of the things I can think of. However have you tried other COD (WaW, MW & MW2) discs in your machine to see it they work? I presume all your other multiplayer games work OK?

Other than that is it possible that there is a problem with your router, with my BT Homehub2 I used to get problems matchmaking on some games (on both consoles). My NAT settings would go strict for whatever reason and caused problems with muiltiplayer on some games. Have you tried resetting your router? This solved it temporarily for me, but it would eventually happen again, my permanent solution was to go into the hub settings and ensure that the PS3/360 were added to the list of machines with 'full access', I can't remember the proper term for it! A google search will prob find it.

I'm out of ideas, but best of luck and may you be racking up kill streaks soon! Let us know how you get on.

Sony suggested i contact the manufacturer of my router to make sure all the ports were open on my router. So, i did, they told me that i would need to contact my ISP. So, i did that and they told me all the ports were open on my router (is there any way to check?)

This problem only started recently and the same issue is now stopping my son going online with MWII at his home also.

Well for 2 months i could not play fifa online for some reason and got in contacted with sony themselfs and said they were looking into it. Got back to me and said they were having connection problems and finaly got it fixed. Few of my mates have had problems with other games they've tried to play online and had the same problem.

Sony suggested i contact the manufacturer of my router to make sure all the ports were open on my router. So, i did, they told me that i would need to contact my ISP. So, i did that and they told me all the ports were open on my router (is there any way to check?)

This problem only started recently and the same issue is now stopping my son going online with MWII at his home also.

Your son's at a different house and he has these issues also? Weird. Has he got the same ISP and/or router, do you share the same exchange? Have you tested the stability of your web connection could be lost packets etc? Seems more likely that the issue is at their end rather than the PS3. I'm no expert I'm afraid mate, but in my experience when this type of thing happens chances are each party will try and palm you off to another!

Better still, buy a 360, superior online experience anyway! ;-)

Your son's at a different house and he has these issues also? Weird. Has he got the same ISP and/or router, do you share the same exchange? Have you tested the stability of your web connection could be lost packets etc? Seems more likely that the issue is at their end rather than the PS3. I'm no expert I'm afraid mate, but in my experience when this type of thing happens chances are each party will try and palm you off to another!

Better still, buy a 360, superior online experience anyway! ;-)

Hey fraz. You are correct. My son has this issue at home also with MWII. As far as i know, his mum has BT Broadband and its a different exchange. I havent tested the stability of my connection. Being honest, i wouldnt know how to. As far as i know, its NOT the ps3 at fault. I had a wee look into port forwarding, as im thinking its an internet related problem, but im a bit hesitant to do that myself incase i mess up my internet.

Someone on another forum suggested it could be something to do with my PS3 account. So i even tried wiping the ps3, setting up a brand new user and PSN account, but still no joy. I feel like theres not much more to try. I might try activision again

I do have a xbox360 here for the kids, but it has lay unused for the last 15 months or so :)

I thought id give trying another router a try, just to rule out the possibility that it was that which was at fault, but naw....still no joy with the game(s)

Jeez, surely must be an issue with Infinity Ward / Activision servers, the ISP or the PSN itself. I'd bet IW/Activision. Have you tried googling the issue and going through some gaming forums or the actual IW/Activision support forums, could even start a thread. Really dunno what else to suggest bud!

Oh.....im fresh out of ideas myself fraz. I dont get why Cod MW III and Black ops woould work yet the other 3 games dont (online). I think i have just about tried everything i can think of. I have ran out of ideas. I Know the discs play on other ps3. I have tried a new ps3. I have tried different user account and PSN account. I have tried different routers. I have tried wireless and ethernet connection. Im at a loss as what to try. Sony havent bothered getting back to me sonce last monday. As i sed, there are others out there with similar problems this year...with CoD games.

#Stumped

Ok....i THINK (hope) i have sussed this out. I tried port forwarding, by going into my router etc and i think i am now getting online with MW & MWII. I only did the settings for the MWII game, but i think MW is working now also. IM Downloading update for WAW and hoping it to will play online now....either that, or i will try the port forwarding for that too.

Al need to borrow my neighbours son to test it all for me...as i havent got a scooby as how to play online, and my kids arent due back till next weekend, and i cant hold on that long :P

• Agree 1