Ross Tokely disappearence?

AJS

If Terry gets rid of Ross then where on earth is he going to get anyone with anything like his experience to have around the team.

Sit him on the bench as a landmark if you want but keep him at the club in some capacity I think.If he doesn't, he will be giving out soothers at half time instead of bottles of Gatorade and then ...........

The luxury of keeping players around just because they have been good servants to the club is not something we can afford unfortunately.

Surely you can't class Tokes as a luxury - he is as solid a defender the club has at its disposal - and we need solid defenders!

Article in todays Inverness Courier saying that Tokely and Williams are set to return from hamstring and calf injuries respectively to the matchday squad for this weekends game vs Hibs

The luxury of keeping players around just because they have been good servants to the club is not something we can afford unfortunately.

Surely you can't class Tokes as a luxury - he is as solid a defender the club has at its disposal - and we need solid defenders!

I class any player who is not vital to the squad and/or someone being groomed for the future as a luxury.

The question is, does Tokely fall into either of those categories?

I'm not convinced he had this season in him, let alone another one. You just have to go back through the matchday threads to see that others (some of who are now claiming Terry would be some kind of bad man for getting rid) thought the same not so long ago.

Tokely is my hero, but every dog has their day and I would rather we were looking to the future instead of clinging on to the past.

If Tokely is still here next season then so be it, I hope he proves me wrong.

This same thread has been happening for the past 3 or 4 years. Tokely's past it blah blah! He still is one of our best players, and i'm sick of everyone every year saying he can't cut it anymore. At least next season when everything goes wrong we can blame Tom Aldred the 2nd and keep on saying we should have kept Tokely.

It's one thing to be of the (honest) opinion that Tokely is still capable of doing a job for the team on the pitch, it's quite another to use the possibility of him moving on as a stick with which to beat the manager just because you've taken a dislike to him.

I class any player who is not vital to the squad and/or someone being groomed for the future as a luxury.

The question is, does Tokely fall into either of those categories?

I'm not convinced he had this season in him, let alone another one. You just have to go back through the matchday threads to see that others (some of who are now claiming Terry would be some kind of bad man for getting rid) thought the same not so long ago.

Tokely is my hero, but every dog has their day and I would rather we were looking to the future instead of clinging on to the past.

If Tokely is still here next season then so be it, I hope he proves me wrong.

Well OK everyone is entitled to their own opinion. IMO Tokes is still probably our best defender so we should keep him. You just don't get rid of your best players UNLESS you have someone better to replace him.

• Agree 1

In my opinion Ross Tokely is still capable of doing a job for this team. I base that not on watching him personally this season - other than the few games I got on a stream or on TV - but on comments made in the forums, and votes placed in the POY polls.

Ross currently sits in 4th place as chosen by YOU the fans who were present at games and is behind Golobart, G.Shinnie and Foran .... and ahead of Tade, Tansey, Esson and even Hayes !!!!!

If Ross is surplus to requirements, I wonder if he would like to come to Toronto .... even though he is/was primarily a right sided defender, he has played in the middle more recently and a solid no nonsense centre half is a priority for TFC, even if its one who is 30+ !

• Agree 1

Plenty left in the tank yet, and don't go along with all the 'he has lost his pace' stuff. As consistent as anyone this season in what has been a disruptive campaign. He has made errors, but tell me anyone who has not made a blooper this season. Our player of the year has made at least three, yet has amassed enough points to win the award. Not only that, he is as good as local in the bigger picture.

Two more years please.

I think if Tokely wanted to go or wanted to go to another country, we would know by now. He's had "big money" moves on the table before, Turkey a while back was mentioned, as was a move to the no longer existing North Queensland Fury. If he wanted to go, we'd know by now and I think that the fact that nothing has been said suggests more that he's away and Butcher doesn't wasn't want to face the same level of flack as he did with Munro and Duncan again.

• Agree 1

Scotty --now that's a thought. Ross to Toronto.

I saw a recent Toronto home game and your forwrds huff and puff with little else to offer. Ross might at least instil some confidence in the team and it would be a lovely reward at a higher salary for him to spend at least one more productive season. The only question that I would ask wouldbe..is he be able to stand the pace?

Yes! The MLS is certainly coming on strong---19,000 fans in Vancouver last Saturday night and a blistering pace agaisnt the top of the league San Jose Earthquakes. Vancouver won by scoring in the last minute of the game! Great game.

The Vancouver Manager is Tom Rennie, a Scotsman, but what team(s) he ever played for I cannot say--Must look him up online. I heard him speak for the first time recently and it clicked --he's a Scotsman! No wonder his team is now playing at a higher level of intensity.

Di Rosario--heard that he's now getting a million dollars or close and he is not so energetic these days. EXCEPT that he scored a cracker of a goal to help his team win against you. Are you sorry he has gone, Scotty?

The Vancouver Manager is Tom Rennie, a Scotsman, but what team(s) he ever played for I cannot say--Must look him up online. I heard him speak for the first time recently and it clicked --he's a Scotsman! No wonder his team is now playing at a higher level of intensity.

Comes from Thurso, supports Falkirk, went to Glasgow Caledonian Uni and got a trial for Charlotte Eagles but got a career ending injury (cruciate). Played juniors for a while and did his SFA coaching badges then slowly climbed up the managerial ranks in North America. Has been manager of the year 4 times in NASL and is highly thought of in North American coaching circles

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/09/whitecaps-name-martin-rennie-head-coach-starting-12

Di Rosario--heard that he's now getting a million dollars or close and he is not so energetic these days. EXCEPT that he scored a cracker of a goal to help his team win against you. Are you sorry he has gone, Scotty?

He's not a DP so the most he can be making is $350,000 ... and he was actually quite ineffective on Saturday. Neither him nor Maicon Santos (another former TFC player) scored on Saturday.

anyhoo ... back to Ross Tokely ...... and to answer the question, yes, dont see how he could not last a year or two in this league. If Barry Robson and Kris Boyd are able to do so, and Kenny Deuchar managed it a few seasons ago, why not Rosscoe ..... prefer to see him wearing ICT colours though !

I certainly think Tokley could manage another season in the SPL, i certainly hope he does.

Even if he doesnt have the legs to play every game then the knowledge and experience he would give to younger players when he does play is invaluable. Even if he only played 75% of our games next season then we know that he would give 110% in everyone of those and that while he may be beaten for pace with certain players that his experience, strength and determination would still save us from conceding numerous goals