Tokely Offski - to Countski

Libero

Tokely deal supoosedly hanging in the balance:

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Sport/Football/Inverness-Caley-Thistle/Tokely-deal-in-balance-7903792.htm

ROSS Tokely has thrown his Caley Thistle future into doubt by revealing that the club's conditions within a new one-year deal are "very disappointing".

The Inverness CT legend, who has played nearly 600 games for the club, spoke exclusively to the HN about the offer on the table but admitted he could walk away.

He said: "I am happy that I earned a new deal for my 17th season, but I am very disappointed with the offer - it is not what I am looking for or expected.

"I have got to look after myself and make the right decision for my family. I will be in more discussions with the gaffer, but I am unsure whether we can come to an agreement."

Deosnt sounds good

As expected - the new look ICT appear to have a penchant for dumping loyal, strong personalities - smacks of narcissism !! And dare I dare to say it but the hesitation being made by many to resign contracts - irrespective of the reasons provided - does tend to suggest that their is unrest.

• Agree 1

I do not think that club is in a position to keep players on for loyalties sake, I am afraid we don't have the financial clout to do this as nice as it would be. However I think there are valid footballing reason's to keep Tokely on and I worry that TB will force him out the door and replace him with an inferior player without the passion for the club, after all it has happened before with likes of Munro. I know things can't stay the same for ever and players like Tokely's time will be up soon but please lets make sure we have adequate replacements before we do this.

Edited by gordieict
  • Agree 3

I'm glad he is being honest, not many players are that open about being offered a poor contract.

As things stand the only centre back we will have come pre season is Chris Hogg..,enough said there.

Tokely shouldn't be getting retained purely on merit. He is owed it by some of his performances from over the season. Next to Golobart he has been the best defender we have had this season.

I remember Esson scoffing at an original offer he was given a couple of seasons back, i hope the club can give Tokely something at least close to what he wants.

• Agree 4

Seems to be a lot of assumption that the reason for whatever deal being offered is to force him out the door. Could it be that the club are actually looking for a way to keep him here instead?

If he's not being viewed as a potential regular starter, then the club need to value him on the basis of whatever contribution they think he would make next season.

Maybe he (Tokely) isn't overly concerned with the money aspect, but the hint that he may no longer be viewed as a regular starter is what is bothering him?

I know only too well (wee wave for Tokelys sh*t stirring mates) that he has no doubts in his own fitness/ability for next season....but it's not himself, me or anyone else on here that he needs to convince, it's the guy who decides the contracts.

Has anybody actually read what Rossoce has stated ? This isnt about keeping him on for loyalty sake. He is actually stating that he wants to be given the chance to stake his claim for a starting position and is clearly suggesting that this is not on the table. If I am honest I have voiced doubts about Rosscoe for the past two seasons but he has amazed me that every tme that he looks as if he is on the way out he finds the strength to prove me/us wrong.It is actually more worrying to me that such an apparently loyal player, who clearly has the club at heart, has found it necessary to air all of this in the public domain - and what the feck does that tell you ?

• Agree 1

I would love to see rossco stay next season. He may not be the fastest defender in the world but his effort is second to none and i still feel he has a part to play. The reason they've offered a contract thats easy to turn down is because they wont have to telll him he's not wanted if that is the case. The club offer him a contract and say " here you are, do you want to stay". He says " the offers rubbish, no thanks". Therefore the club dont feel bad as the offered him the chance to stay

Rosscoe has been written off so many times and by so many people in the last sixteen years at ICT he could buy a mansion if he had a quid every time anyone said he was finished or wasnt good enough.

For me, and regardless of any bullshit or personal animosities folk might have, my personal opinion is that he IS still good enough, and furthermore I also believe that his sixteen years of loyalty to the club should also buy a bit of loyalty from the club. I read the comments from posters above about not being able to afford loyalty ... but in this case its not like he cannot do the job ... his votes in the Player of the Year polls this year show that ... so its not loyalty for loyalties sake .. its a bit of loyalty for a tremendous club servant and a realisation that this loyalty is also towards a player who still has something to offer.

So c'mon Terry .... Put a decent offer on the table that will allow him to finish his career with the club. How many professionals these days can say they have truly been a one club player - Giggs & your mucker Mo Malpas ... but not too many more.

As to first team guarantees ? I would also say that we do not guarantee first team football to anyone - that has to be earned, and in Rosscoe's case he can and will earn that. No-one, and i mean no-one should get a first team guarantee ... but if thats not the sticking point then lets not try to force him out like we (allegedly) did with others ......

• Agree 10

Agree 100% with Scotty on this one, plus nobody will ever equal Tokely's 'one club' record playing at every senior level in Scotland.

If they don't make him a decent offer I'm sure Mr Adams over the bridge will be watching the situation very closely. All this talk about Peterhead and HL outfits, no way, he wants to be playing at the highest possible level and will continue to do so whether it's with the club he loves or elsewhere.

Seems to be a lot of assumption that the reason for whatever deal being offered is to force him out the door. Could it be that the club are actually looking for a way to keep him here instead?

If he's not being viewed as a potential regular starter, then the club need to value him on the basis of whatever contribution they think he would make next season.

Maybe he (Tokely) isn't overly concerned with the money aspect, but the hint that he may no longer be viewed as a regular starter is what is bothering him?

I know only too well (wee wave for Tokelys sh*t stirring mates) that he has no doubts in his own fitness/ability for next season....but it's not himself, me or anyone else on here that he needs to convince, it's the guy who decides the contracts.

Read in a local paper a few days ago that he has said "At my age, I'm not wanting to be on the bench, or a squad player." and "If I'm not going to be a regular, it won't be for me next year."

Given his age, that seems to be a bit dictatorial. Is any player 100% guaranteed not being on the bench or a squad player? I always thought that was what football was all about....a team game, where the egos of players are subsumed to the good of the team. Seems to me if he is prepared to fight for his place as he said he was, why would he need guarantees of a regular game. Wouldn't his own performances give him the opportunity to play if he makes sure he can't justifiably be ignored?

If it's about money, or if he has been told he is going to be kept not to play at all but to mentor the younger players as the only ICT real old-stager left , then that's one thing, so if he can get more money elsewhere then good luck to him......and I can see why he wouldn't want to be last choice in an absolute emergency for a game....but if it is just because he will be a squad player and not an automatic first team shoo-in then you kinda have to query his attitude. Nobody is entitled to a place in the starting line-up.or even on the bench.

• Agree 1

Read in a local paper a few days ago that he has said "At my age, I'm not wanting to be on the bench, or a squad player." and "If I'm not going to be a regular, it won't be for me next year."

Given his age, that seems to be a bit dictatorial. Is any player 100% guaranteed not being on the bench or a squad player? I always thought that was what football was all about....a team game, where the egos of players are subsumed to the good of the team. Seems to me if he is prepared to fight for his place as he said he was, why would he need guarantees of a regular game. Wouldn't his own performances give him the opportunity to play if he makes sure he can't justifiably be ignored?

If it's about money, or if he has been told he is going to be kept not to play at all but to mentor the younger players as the only ICT real old-stager left , then that's one thing, so if he can get more money elsewhere then good luck to him......and I can see why he wouldn't want to be last choice in an absolute emergency for a game....but if it is just because he will be a squad player and not an automatic first team shoo-in then you kinda have to query his attitude. Nobody is entitled to a place in the starting line-up.or even on the bench.

If he was wanting to go elsewhere I,m sure he would be gone by now. Let me ask you a question, Assuming you are good at your job and have been employed by your boss for over 15 years and come your salary review he asked you to take less money, what would you say?

Not sure where he says he's entitled to anything. Just sounds like he wants to know how he fits into the managers plans one way or the other.

As for 'if he plays well enough (or in training) he'll be guaranteed a game anyway'. Past evidence would indicate that Butcher doesn't always think that way. ie some players getting a game no matter what and other perfectly good players punted when they've been playing well.

• Agree 1

Considering Butcher once said 'he'd have a full team of ross tokely's' in his first season with us, I can't see how he'd in any way show rosscoe any sort of disrespect by not at least offering him a contract which he thought was at least fair.

Offering him better terms for 'loyalty' is, in my mind, stupid. Loyal players are awarded with testimonials. He's had that!

Rosscoe had the chance to move for money when a turkish club came in for him. He didn't go and has continued to do well for us since. Unfortunately I dont see him as a regular starter this season, much the same as when Golly and McBain slowly but surely lost their places to younger, fitter players.

• Agree 2

Offer is an insult designed for rejection and the avoidance of a repeat of the Granty scenario.

What a way to treat a man that has given everything for the club? Suggest the level is around 50% of his current earnings. Is this the offer of a manager who wants to keep a player?

Yet another bizarre move in a very bizarre season.

And no I won't say who told me but I am 100% certain it is correct.

• Agree 3

Who said Tokely is being offered less money?

We only know that he wants an improved offer.

He only wants an offer equal to what he is getting now which is considerably less than some others! As to who said he is being offered less money - well I think that is glaringly obvious.

I think if we are all honest and take out of the equation that Tokely has been here so long that he has actually been the best of a poor defence this season. I would not be guaranteeing him football next season unless it was merited. He like the rest of the defence this season was guilty of too many basic mistakes and had just as many poor games as he did average. I do think his loyalty should be rewarded and his experience to the rest of the squad is invaluable and for this I am for him getting a new contract. i am not convinced by him or any of the other defenders we have in the team at this point though!

• Agree 1

If he was wanting to go elsewhere I,m sure he would be gone by now. Let me ask you a question, Assuming you are good at your job and have been employed by your boss for over 15 years and come your salary review he asked you to take less money, what would you say?

I'd do what I thought would benefit me......and if that meant taking less money rather than being jobless with nothing else on the horizon, I'd take it. I have bills to pay, after all. Been in the jobless with bills to pay situation and much better to be able to eat and pay bills....or at least be in a position to come to some accommodation with creditors.

That's not to say I'd grab it with both hands on first offer....but I'd most likely grab it if nothing else was turning up and it was still on the table. I'd much rather be employed than unemployed. A drop in wages might make for some problems...but not nearly as many as no income bar the dole will produce with commitments to meet.

Who said Tokely is being offered less money?

We only know that he wants an improved offer.

He only wants an offer equal to what he is getting now which is considerably less than some others! As to who said he is being offered less money - well I think that is glaringly obvious.

You appear to have information not available to those of us who simply read the media reports and come to conclusions based on them. Care to share?

Offer is an insult designed for rejection and the avoidance of a repeat of the Granty scenario.

What a way to treat a man that has given everything for the club? Suggest the level is around 50% of his current earnings. Is this the offer of a manager who wants to keep a player?

Well, bully for you...but we have only your word for your 100% certainty. All the rest of we ignorant and outside the loop individuals have only the media reports on which to base our responses.

I have been informed, and I am 100% certain that it is correct that Messi has expressed an interest in joining ICT at the sweetie level of income we can provide! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

But given that we have absolutely no idea what 100% of the income Tokely was receiving was, even if you do.....how do we know that 50% of his previous wage is not still silly money, given the ludicrous levels of football wages even for the most average of players?

Not saying it is, btw...but why would we take your word for it?

A player's overall remuneration comprises things like signing on fee, basic wage, appearance fees, bonuses, and even accommodation. You've really got to assess it in entirety to make a valid comparison.

I would fully expect though that he would be offered significantly less than when he was younger, fitter, and when the club's attendances were higher.

Hopefully a mutually acceptable deal can be reached.

Well, bully for you...but we have only your word for your 100% certainty. All the rest of we ignorant and outside the loop individuals have only the media reports on which to base our responses.

I have been informed, and I am 100% certain that it is correct that Messi has expressed an interest in joining ICT at the sweetie level of income we can provide! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

But given that we have absolutely no idea what 100% of the income Tokely was receiving was, even if you do.....how do we know that 50% of his previous wage is not still silly money, given the ludicrous levels of football wages even for the most average of players?

Not saying it is, btw...but why would we take your word for it?

You have absolutely no reason to take my word for it. Please feel free not to. All I will say, is that I am not in the habit of making things up and have no reason to do so.

Hope the board can secure the deal to bring Lionel to TCS next season. As things stand there is more hope of him wearing a jersey than there is Tokes............

Considering Butcher once said 'he'd have a full team of ross tokely's' in his first season with us, I can't see how he'd in any way show rosscoe any sort of disrespect by not at least offering him a contract which he thought was at least fair.

Sorry but I think you are being taken in by TB spin. What respect did he show to Munro, none and I don't doubt for a minute he would do the same to Tokely

• Agree 2