Inverness Bakers

rytenuff

I was reminiscing with an old mate recently and the subject got around to Inverness Bakers. We tried to remember the names of all of them but I'm sure we missed out a few.

Morrison's, Mirtle's, Bow's, Anderson's, Melven's, Burnett's, Edgar's,

Yes, we remembered that one but we were thinking more of actual Bakers shops.

Just remembered another one on the corner of King Street and Greig Street, ( there's a Lloyds Pharmacy there now) but I can't remember the name. I do remember they sold Ginger Perkins for a penny each though.

Also there was one in Young St. and another in Tomnahurich St. near the Wheel Cycle Depot. Again the names elude me.

One of my "pocket money" jobs when I was 14/15 was to help my dad deliver pies to the pubs and the football grounds at a weekend. I can recall the Burnetts bakery being located on the old Longman Estate road and I can clearly recall that marvellous aroma !! My greatest satisfaction was delivering the batch to Kingsmills which I regularly annointed except when the Caley were due to visit. I can also recall later in my life stopping off at the bakery (was it Burnetts) behind the old Academy Playing fields, in the early hours of the morning, on the crawl home to Drakies.

Just remembered another one on the corner of King Street and Greig Street, ( there's a Lloyds Pharmacy there now) but I can't remember the name. I do remember they sold Ginger Perkins for a penny each though.

Also there was one in Young St. and another in Tomnahurich St. near the Wheel Cycle Depot. Again the names elude me.

Im wondering if one of them you are thinking about was Munros the Bakers? I just remember them having the most tasty pies EVER. Only downside was....they were a little on the small side...but i have yet to sample a tastier pie. I think they were certainly about in the 70's, very early 80s, roughly where Scotscoup bookies was (before it shut)

Did anyone mention Skinner's? There was certainly the shop at the bottom of Stephen's Brae which was much loved by "Kaddie" pupils on their way to and from school. But I think there was also another Skinners? Was it by any chance in Kenneth Street near the bottom of Ross Avenue? The Skinner family were great BB people (5th Company I think.)

Morrison's where Ailsa MacInnes' opticians business now is opposite the Heathmount was also popular among pupils who would drop into Frankie Jew's for sweets (or a single if they were smokers) and then on to Morrison's for a pie.

On the subject of pies and IHE's reference to Burnett's, there is a story - possibly apocryphal - that IHE's school contemporary Jimmy Chisholm (of Wishee Washee and Jimmy Blair fame) used to work in Burnett's and was partial to a game of football with the said pies.

IHE - can you confirm, deny or even admit to have been part of this!?

Im wondering if one of them you are thinking about was Munros the Bakers? I just remember them having the most tasty pies EVER. Only downside was....they were a little on the small side...but i have yet to sample a tastier pie. I think they were certainly about in the 70's, very early 80s, roughly where Scotscoup bookies was (before it shut)

That was Munro's on Tomnahurich St, One baker who worked there was Alan Mackinnon from Delneigh who was a friend of my inlaws, baked our wedding cake in 1982 a good present! He was a POW in WW2 and after escaping was living undercover in France with a baker where he was taught his trade. I think he may have played for Caley but am not sure.

"Morrison's where Ailsa MacInnes' opticians business now is opposite the Heathmount was also popular among pupils...."

That was Bow's back in 1960. I worked there after school and all day Saturday delivering cakes etc. on a message bike which the morning-roll delivery boy contrived to puncture on a regular basis. I was paid 10 bob for this plus tips. Tips equalled 1 shilling made up of 6p from a nice lady who lived in a prefab in Sunnybank Avenue and the other Tanner from an equally nice lady who lived in a large house in Lovat Road. She was the exception to the general rule that people in posh houses don't tip well, if at all. (present company excepted I hasten to add for fear of a thick lip ;) )

morning-roll delivery

On which subject, does anyone remember Marshall Grant (formerly Notman - Highland RFC hooker and North of Scotland distance running champion) delivering rolls from a mini van which he kept rolling driverless in second gear along the street as he ran from the van to various houses dropping rolls on front steps?

Mind you in the early 60s the chances of another car coming round the corner were relativelt low!

Myrtle's on Lombard Street made very good pies indeed. Andersons at the bottom of Academy Street had some nice cakes. Burnetts eventually moved into the Myrtle's shop and they took over the Macrae & Dick TV and radio shop on Academy Street in the early 1970s.

The baker on Greig Street was Ross the Baker they lived on St Valery Ave

Round about the junction with St Valery Avenue? The daughters were red haired girls - I think with glasses and looked quite like the mother? Or is that a different Ross family?

Edited by Charles Bannerman

The Ross family must have stayed round about40 or so the son was David Ross must be aged about 67 ish by now I think I can only remember one sister, they were very friendly with Robert Paul 'Mills' and Mike Paul

Must be a different family because the daughters I remember (one at least of whom I still see about the place) will be early/ mid 50s and the mother, whom they looked very like, would certainly not have been old enough to have had a son who is now 67.

That Ross family might be Jimmy a retired prison officer now living in Bruce Gardens, his late wife Rachel who worked in the Hydro Electric office (now Hootananny's) the daughters are Jane Macbean and Maureen Spence both living in Inverness