Inverness Bakers

rytenuff

i remember a few of the bakers mentioned, but do not remember a bows could it be bowmans as i served my apprenticeship there, his shop was opposite the Crown School, corner of Crown St & Southside Rd.

Also can anybody give me any update on f c maclennan.

andersons was on academy st

balmoral was on queensgate

bowmans on southside road

burnetts on academy street( two shops) and one on castle street.

edgars church street

kings young street

morrisons greig street then to diriebught with shops inthe arcade and high street

munros young street

myrtles greig street then drummond street another shop in tomatin road

ross greig street

skinners stevens brae and kenneth street

scws church street

highland bakery /telford roll company the garrison telford road

if anybody can give me any more information about these bakers i would be delighted thank you

• Agree 1

There was the "household pan" loaf and then the one with taller slices where the bread was a bit coarser that you bought wrapped in waxed paper. Burnetts used to do a particularly good one.

Morrisons in the market had an upstairs cafe that did a really good pie and beans. Morrisons opposite the Heathmount was a favourite for Royal Academy pupils "joopeen off" for a pie. And didn't Morrisons also have a brown and yellow van that went round the streets. Whose bakery was it down Telford Road? Was that Morrisons as well?

And remember "cream cookies" where you'd have to go and give your face a good wash after eating them.

(It's actually so long since this thread started that most of what I've just said has probably been covered already!)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

There was the "household pan" loaf and then the one with taller slices where the bread was a bit coarser that you bought wrapped in waxed paper. Burnetts used to do a particularly good one.

Morrisons in the market had an upstairs cafe that did a really good pie and beans. Morrisons opposite the Heathmount was a favourite for Royal Academy pupils "joopeen off" for a pie. And didn't Morrisons also have a brown and yellow van that went round the streets. Whose bakery was it down Telford Road? Was that Morrisons as well?

And remember "cream cookies" where you'd have to go and give your face a good wash after eating them.

(It's actually so long since this thread started that most of what I've just said has probably been covered already!)

The taller one from Burnetts was a plain loaf, the heel as we called it was thicker and great for toast! I remember the pie and beans from Morrisons with a tipsy cake with my tea, handy when I worked in Websters Office Equipment in Queensgate where Hugh Crout was the boss.

The taller one from Burnetts was a plain loaf, the heel as we called it was thicker and great for toast! I remember the pie and beans from Morrisons with a tipsy cake with my tea, handy when I worked in Websters Office Equipment in Queensgate where Hugh Crout was the boss.

Yes of course... it was a plain loaf... simple as that! And the heel toasted was indeed great although you would never fit it into a modern toaster nowadays.

And on the subject of Websters, the desk from which I am typing this was delivered personally to me by the said Mr Crout 30 years ago!

Yes of course... it was a plain loaf... simple as that! And the heel toasted was indeed great although you would never fit it into a modern toaster nowadays.

And on the subject of Websters, the desk from which I am typing this was delivered personally to me by the said Mr Crout 30 years ago!

He must have had to do all the work himself after I left 37 years ago!

• 1 month later...

I can recall a bakers in Greig Street, on the way to the High School, where we would buy "yesterdays stale-ics". The joy if it was a cream cookie! - this must have been the fore-runner to the reduced counter in Tesco nowadays. I also remember buying broken biscuits from the boxes in Woolworths, similar to pick and mix today, but never to eat in the "one and nines" in the Playhouse when we juped school on a Wednesday afternoon (split classes so we were never missed - ever!?) How we got off with not being there every Wednesday afternoon in 4th year I will never know, but - and if there wasnt a decent film on, then we went for a walk, anything but going to class. And I still got decent employment so it wasnt wasted afternoons after all.

I can recall a bakers in Greig Street, on the way to the High School, where we would buy "yesterdays stale-ics". The joy if it was a cream cookie! - this must have been the fore-runner to the reduced counter in Tesco nowadays. I also remember buying broken biscuits from the boxes in Woolworths, similar to pick and mix today, but never to eat in the "one and nines" in the Playhouse when we juped school on a Wednesday afternoon (split classes so we were never missed - ever!?) How we got off with not being there every Wednesday afternoon in 4th year I will never know, but - and if there wasnt a decent film on, then we went for a walk, anything but going to class. And I still got decent employment so it wasnt wasted afternoons after all.

That could be another thread 'Jupping School' think it would have to go in General Nonsence as that's what most people got up to when they did it. I only did it to get some extra hours in Wm Low's and earn a few shillings more and thats all it was!

• 2 weeks later...

My Grandfather use to own Telford roll company. He was Charlie Mackintosh he and Richard Bartleycheck were partners and been a decent bloke (I believe) when he called it a day he just gave the business to Richard. My Grandfather died in 1984 I was only 6 so I don’t remember much but I wish I was born earlier. Any photos anyone would have to post online I would be ecstatic.

• 1 month later...

I believe Telford Roll Co. was previously known as Highland Bakery.  I have no information on owners Charles MacKintosh and Richard Bartlecheck?  I would be delighted if anyone could update.

Bows the bakers was actually called Bowmans, Sandy Rae was the foreman in the early 60's.

Jimmy Chisholm Snr worked in Burnetts as van driver. 

The bakery behind old Academy playing fields was Morrisons not Burnetts.

I am doing history of the bakers of Inverness and would appreciate anymore information.

I believe Telford Roll Co. was previously known as Highland Bakery.  I have no information on owners Charles MacKintosh and Richard Bartlecheck?  I would be delighted if anyone could update.

Bows the bakers was actually called Bowmans, Sandy Rae was the foreman in the early 60's.

Jimmy Chisholm Snr worked in Burnetts as van driver. 

The bakery behind old Academy playing fields was Morrisons not Burnetts.

I am doing history of the bakers of Inverness and would appreciate anymore information.

Richard was the son now in his early 50's of the polish man who had the Telford Roll Co in late 60's- early 70's, not a clue how to spell his surname though.  They used to sell rolls round the doors in the Merkinch.  The bakery was in what I think was the old fort on Telford Road under the arch where flats are now built.  The bakery behind Millburn Academy was Morrisons on Diriebught Road beside the old Highland Printers which is also now flats.  They had a shop in the market and up the hill.

They used to sell rolls round the doors in the Merkinch. 

In possibly an earlier era, Marshall Notman (who changed his surname to Grant and was a distance running champion as well as hooker for Highland Rugby Club and PE man at Craig Phadrig Hospital) used to run a mini van round Dalneigh (and maybe elsewhere) selling rolls.

This was in the 60s when streets maybe weren't so busy and Marshall used to keep the van running, unattended, down for instance St Andrew Drive where I used to live, while he would run to various front doors and back to the van, delivering bags of rolls!

They used to sell rolls round the doors in the Merkinch. 

In possibly an earlier era, Marshall Notman (who changed his surname to Grant and was a distance running champion as well as hooker for Highland Rugby Club and PE man at Craig Phadrig Hospital) used to run a mini van round Dalneigh (and maybe elsewhere) selling rolls.

This was in the 60s when streets maybe weren't so busy and Marshall used to keep the van running, unattended, down for instance St Andrew Drive where I used to live, while he would run to various front doors and back to the van, delivering bags of rolls!

Must have been posh in Dalneigh with a van, it was a boy or girl on foot with a basket in the Merkinch.  It would be risky doing that now in quite a few areas of the CITY now you don't know where the van might end up!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I realise this thread is a few months old now but was interested in the above.  I'm the youngest daughter of Alistair Skinner who owned Skinners the Bakers - info on here is correct - there was a shop at the bottom of Stephen's Brae and one in Kenneth Street and I worked in both!  All the family did.  That's how we earned our pocket money!

The original bakehouse was behind the shop in Stephens Brae but in latter years it was moved to larger premises in Argyll Street.  Dad died suddenly in 1976 - he'd had a heart attack in December 1975 and was making a good recovery but got flu and his body just wasn't strong enough to fight it.  Mum kept the business going for a few years after that then sold it to a hairdresser I think.

And yes he was very active in the BBs - a regular churchgoer in the East Church of Scotland, sang in the choir, was a BB officer, took the Young Brothers for years as well as running the badminton club - also did some lay preaching in his spare time. 

I have to say I thought every kid had scones, pancakes and cream cakes at teatime till I started going to friends' houses and realised they didn't!  Which is probably why I was virtually on a diet from around age 14 ...... :lol:

Are you doing the history for any specific reason?

• Agree 1

Hi - I realise this thread is a few months old now but was interested in the above.  I'm the youngest daughter of Alistair Skinner who owned Skinners the Bakers - info on here is correct - there was a shop at the bottom of Stephen's Brae and one in Kenneth Street and I worked in both!  All the family did.  That's how we earned our pocket money!

I well remember your brothers Mike and Ian as rather older boys in the 5th Company with Scoobies.... and I think Ian as a student Geography teacher? I also remember both Skinners' shops. I passed the Stephen's Brae one every day en route to school while the Kenneth Street one was just along the road from where I lived when very young in the 50s.

Great bakeries and the Stephen's Brae one was very popular with Inverness Royal Academy pupils.

• 5 months later...

peter you mention jimmy chisholm snr as del driver at burnetts.In around 1972 i was a pal of jc junior got to know the family well .Cut a long sty short got sacked from coopers fine fare and jimmy who was driving for Rossleighs got me a job inthe stores parts dept .Hence munros bakers young st , sorry said tomn st in prev post.

I was reminiscing with an old mate recently and the subject got around to Inverness Bakers. We tried to remember the names of all of them but I'm sure we missed out a few.

Morrison's, Mirtle's, Bow's, Anderson's, Melven's, Burnett's, Edgar's,