Train drink ban

Gringo

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-18915151

That's it folks. No more going out in the evenings to enjoy yourselves. Best stick to the lemonade during evening matches too. Goodness knows how you're going to get home over the Christmas period too.

We have it drummed into us throughout the year not to drink and drive (quite rightly) and to use public transport...can't even do that now. I suspect the drink / drive rate will now increase.

Edited by Gringo

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otland-18915151

That's it folks. No more going out in the evenings to enjoy yourselves. Best stick to the lemonade during evening matches too. Goodness knows how you're going to get home over the Christmas period too.

We have it drummed into us throughout the year not to drink and drive (quite rightly) and to use public transport...can't even do that now. I suspect the drink / drive rate will now increase.

As usual the misbehaviour of a very small number ends up being to the detriment of the majority who don't cause a problem, quick fag packet sums say that there would be around one incident for every 1,400 Scotrail service. I'm not a frequent user of trains, but if there was one drink related incident for 1,400 pubs over a 6 month period I think that the police would be pretty happy. Guess folk will be 'spicing up' their coke bottles and hope the :police: don't have a sniff.

• 2 weeks later...

How can the poor guard enforce this rule?

The drunks will laugh off his atempts to stop them drinking

Quite simple. He or she will phone ahead to transport police who will board train at next stop.

Don't make me laugh Alex

I worked for 3 years as a manager on British Rail

The guard hides in his cabin too scared to come out

The Transport Police only turn out if there is a major crime.

And in any event at some sleepy higland station how many highland police do you think there are on duty.

It's a free railway at night, no guard has the bottle to confront the drunks or the smokers, I know from bitter experience.

check these out - Who would be a guard ?

http://article.wn.com/view/2012/07/09/WPCs_arrested_for_abusing_train_guard_while_drunk_as_they_tr/

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/01/20/north-wales-train-guard-hospitalised-after-attack-55578-30161006/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-170744/Safety-row-train-guards-strike.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1385273.stm

www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2012/06/04/train-guard-assaulted-at-starbeck-railway-station/

Edited by Laurence

Sorry if I've made you laugh Laurence but, living in Perth, I travel to matches in Inverness by train. I've seen trouble start and I've seen how quick the police appear. I've been held at Aviemore and at Pitlochry for an age awaiting the police because the conductor and driver have refused to move until the trouble makers were dealt with. The conductors may go and sit in their box but the police will have been notified and they will be at the next station stop.

Well done to the staff on the Main line I applaud them

But off on the branch lines around Glasgow late at night , I for one would not risk my neck challenging drunks on a train

I remember once I had been to a party in London, and I was well gone. I was travelling to Sussex on the last train from Charing Cross to Hastings - There were so many drunks on the train , although I was one of them, I was petrified with fear, for the safety of my wallet more than anything.

I went and hid in the loo , I missed my stop because I was asleep, ended up in a sleepy little village station, with nobody there , I rang the wife to cme and get get. Fell asleep on a bench , till the wife found me a couple of hours later. Drunks on trains in the South East of England are a nightmare. If the guard stopped the train, I am sure he would get beat up.

It's a stupid rule. How on earth are the train drivers going to pass their time now?

Seriously though, it is not drink that is the problem, it is people who are the problem. Most people who enjoy a drink on the train cause no offence to anyone. Most people who cause a problem when they have had a drink are annoying a***holes when they are sober. The guards need to ensure the behaviour of passengers is appropriate regardless of whether it is drink related or not. Those who do not abuse alcohol should not be punished because a minority do. If the guards won't do their job then they should be sacked but it is vital that they are given every protection the law affords with those who threaten or assault the guards doing their job being given hefty sentences. Why can't the courts give them meaningful community punishments like cleaning the train toilets for the next 3 years?

My own personal story of being uncomfortable on a train relates to the London underground when I was a student. I was travelling with a fellow student who was the son of a white Kenyan farmer and who was fluent in Swahili. Opposite us were four large black guys speaking loudly in what was evidently Swahili. My "friend" got off the train 3 stops before me and as he got up to get off the train he spoke to the four in Swahili. For the rest of the journey the four of them sat in silence staring at me with looks that could kill. I've never felt so uncomfortable on a train and he never did tell me what he said to them.

Sorry if I've made you laugh Laurence but, living in Perth, I travel to matches in Inverness by train. I've seen trouble start and I've seen how quick the police appear. I've been held at Aviemore and at Pitlochry for an age awaiting the police because the conductor and driver have refused to move until the trouble makers were dealt with. The conductors may go and sit in their box but the police will have been notified and they will be at the next station stop.

Putting our differences apart , Please tell me how you get to the games on time, and how do you get home after an afternoon game.

When I tried to get to the match on Saturday. The timetable meant I was in Inverness well before the game , and caught a train back after 6.30 pm

Not very satisfactory so I used the car after that.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Putting our differences apart , Please tell me how you get to the games on time, and how do you get home after an afternoon game.

When I tried to get to the match on Saturday. The timetable meant I was in Inverness well before the game , and caught a train back after 6.30 pm

Have a few pints in the Caley Club or the Innes to pass the time!

• Agree 1

In all the years I've been travelling by train to games in Scotland I've never witnessed any major incidents. I'm sure it does happen often and not just with football fans (although they weren't singled out in this particular case). Yes, I've heard some 'anti-social' chanting from time to time and this was mainly from Rangers fans heading back South from Glasgow. There have been other occasions, sometimes during the day, where a drunkard could annoy the travelling public but for First Scotrail to introduce a ban is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Your missing everything Laurence. Get into Inverness at 12:15. Go for lunch. Meet people in pub for chat and a pint or two. Walk out to stadium. Watch game. Walk back to pub to analize what we've seen then get train at 18:40. Its a leisurely, enjoyable day at the footie.

• Agree 2

Your missing everything Laurence. Get into Inverness at 12:15. Go for lunch. Meet people in pub for chat and a pint or two. Walk out to stadium. Watch game. Walk back to pub to analize what we've seen then get train at 18:40. Its a leisurely, enjoyable day at the footie.

Hi Alex

Thanks for that - I am not a great drinker - with no prostate it goes right through me. But I can have one , Three I am in agony

Which pub do you suggest ? - I can walk if my knees allow it, so not too much of a problem ,

Anyway if you come from Perth it is a far longer day for you.

Laurence

Hi Alex

Thanks for that - I am not a great drinker - with no prostate it goes right through me. But I can have one , Three I am in agony

Which pub do you suggest ? - I can walk if my knees allow it, so not too much of a problem ,

Laurence

Go to Caley social club and get bus to and from stadium.

Laurence

You want to try it from Coventry :lol::wink:

Way I'm going on this site I will get sent to Coventry

Nice place actually I love the Cathedral

• 2 weeks later...

at the ross county v celtic game a lot of celtic fans were walking round with bottles of beer in the street and at the train station a lot of them were a bit past it and looked like they will not get on train home