Referendum

Independence Poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree Scotland should be an independent country?

We've been subsidising the English portion of the National Debt for the past 300+ years....

This is simply cut and pasted straight out of "The SNP tartan book of stories and myths to make feel Scottish people feel disgruntled at the English."

One of the main events in the immediate run up to the Treaty of Union was the abysmal failure of the Scots to start an empire at Darien in Central America. It was only after they sent two fleets in an attempt to sell woolly bunnets and Bibles to the Central American indians that they realised that they had committed the biggest act of collective incompetence since James IV tried to invade England and got a right kicking at the Battle of Flodden for his trouble. Darien bankrupted the country which then needed financially baled out by the big boys next door.

And the arrangement, now known as the Barnet Consequentials, has worked more than well ever since!

Well, there was me thinking that the Barnett formula was the invention of Joel Barnett who was Chief Secretary to the Treasury in the 1970s when actually it dates back over 300 years with a misguided attempt by the Scots to sell bunnets to South American Indians in order to cover their barnets. Charles, I bow to your superior knowledge :notworthy:

just think when we do get independence we no longer have that crap bbc1 have our own Scottish channel and a better news show

Maybe this new Scottish channel will buy the rights to that great comedy show Most Haunted!

And I think that was why school soap Waterloo Rd got relocated from Rochdale to Greenock (or "green knock" as some of the English actors pronounce it).

I do hear that the BBC has relocated production of the drama "Lark Rise to Candleford" to Scotland.

It will be re-titled "Larkhall to Wallyford" - a tale of simple rural folk on a peaceful summer Saturday walk .....on July 12th :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Scotland formally Caledonia was only caused because the Romans stopped marching northwards in Northumberland,

Most of the original Scots were really Britons pushed north by the Roman army

My point is International boundaries are not God given.

Great Britain is once piece of land names do not matter.

I don't want to be voted into a foreign land, neither do nearly a million Scots living south of the border weant to be in a foreign country.

I lived in France for a while, and nice as the people are, in is not home.

There are a lot of young Scots go to England for work, instead of getting work automatically, they will have to get a new national Insurance number. Tax office problems will also come into and lots of uynessary paperwork. People living in Gretna for instance going to hospital in Carlisle will have to fill in all sorts of forms ie E11 certificates

Cars bought in England will have to be reregistered with Scots numberplates.

All post will go at airmail rates

LIFE WILL BECOME EXCEEDINGLY COMPLICATED, iNDEPENDANCE IS POINTLESS AND A REAL BUM IDEA

Edited by Laurence

Laurence....I hate to burst your bubble, but the original Scots were Pictish, and whilst their origins are sometimes debated, it's commonly accepted that they were anything but Britons.

While I'm at it, Australia and the Americas were also populate prior to Europeans, of one form or other, arriving there.

Here to help.

I for one am confident that the ancient nation of Scotland is more than capable of prospering on our own. I fear, however, that the scaremongering and downright dishonest unionists will win the day in 2014.

However, rather like the battle for devolution, that setback will be but temporary and Scotland will be independent within two decades.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I will vote YES. The people of Scotland never got a referendum in 1707. They were just shafted.

Don't think there is anywhere on the planet outside the British Isles where there is a very significant body of people that don't want their nations to take full control of their own affairs. I have always struggled to get my head round that. I just can't be part of two nations. Personally, I can't be - and don't want to be - both Scottish and British. I am a Scot and can't be anything else.

Scotland will never be truly a nation again until it is independent. It just can't be. Pro-unionists clearly feel differently but the rest of the world does not see Scotland as a nation. In New York this summer I told a woman I was from Scotland. "That's in Ireland, isn't it?", was the reply. A clueless response you may say, but pretty typical I guess.

The autumn of 2014 will see whether we really are Scotland the Brave, though Better Together will try their hardest to convince us with the Scotland is not worthy, big enough, good enough, wealthy enough etc etc tripe.

Edited by DJS

I for one am confident that the ancient nation of Scotland is more than capable of prospering on our own. I fear, however, that the scaremongering and downright dishonest unionists will win the day in 2014.

However, rather like the battle for devolution, that setback will be but temporary and Scotland will be independent within two decades.

Proof positive that this really is the Neverendum.

Death by a thousand cuts. Just keep going on and on and on and on and on until they hope one day the majority will give up in despair and let them have their way.

So predictable.

The message from the pro-Union bodies is clear - there is no pot of gold hiding at the end of the rainbow, we already live in one of the G8 countries of the world, the divorce will cost a fortune and the end result will be . . . not much different from what you have now. Except a lot more wasted money spent in the interim. Nothing dis-honest in that, but the separatists use such terminology as their own effort at scaremongering. If anything, it is brutally honest and the SNP and their ilk don't like the harsh light of reality being shone into their dark corners of fantasy.

Dream on, McDuff.

Edited by FoolPhysio

I haven't posted here for years (and I wasn't intending to re-start now) but I believe with every fibre of my being that we need to be making our own decisions and not be pandering to the corrupt politicians in Westminster who don't give a flying f*** for us or for any other country.

It's not about the money. Scotland has a wealth of resources and talent and it will be up to us to make a success of it - there's no pot of gold either waiting for us or waiting to be taken away. It's not about the past either or how a dodgy vote and bribery cost us in 1707 - it's about our future and us taking control of it!

If anyone finds that either cringeworthy or an attempt at scaremongering then you deserve to be ruled by English Tories.

And this is what I think will happen too. Although the vote will be a close run thing...

• Agree 2

I haven't posted here for years (and I wasn't intending to re-start now) but I believe with every fibre of my being that we need to be making our own decisions and not be pandering to the corrupt politicians in Westminster who don't give a flying f*** for us or for any other country.

It's not about the money. Scotland has a wealth of resources and talent and it will be up to us to make a success of it - there's no pot of gold either waiting for us or waiting to be taken away. It's not about the past either or how a dodgy vote and bribery cost us in 1707 - it's about our future and us taking control of it!

If anyone finds that either cringeworthy or an attempt at scaremongering then you deserve to be ruled by English Tories.

And this is what I think will happen too. Although the vote will be a close run thing...

We dont have to listen to all the scaremongering from Westminster! David Cameron is already planning another 100 new Lords costing millions to boalster his army but we can fight! :scotland:

mind all if we dont win in 2014 we must do all in our power to kick the Conservative Party out off power in 2015 they dont care about us just there bank friends

Nothing we can do about that. Scotland does not get the government it votes for. It gets the government that England, predominately the south of England votes for. In the last 8 UK general elections, in 5 of those elections Scotland has not got the government it voted for. Every single person could have voted Labour in those elections but still ended up with a Conservative Con/Dem government. How is that democratic? On the other 3 occasions it is only by default that Scotland ended up with the government it voted for because England voted the same way.

There is also a myth that if Scotland leaves the union that the Conservatives will have free reign in the rest of the UK. That isn't true as I think only once ever, around 40 years ago, have Labour needed the votes in Scotland to win an election.

This is another major argument in favour of independence.

• Agree 2