Andy Murray Grand Slam victory

Caley Mad In Berks

Well done to Andy, but he certainly doesn't do things the easy way. I really feared for him when it went to 2 sets all, after being 2 sets up. But he played his best tennis when it mattered. Both men were absolutely knackered after 5 hours of brutal tennis, well over 20 rallies of more than 20 shots, the majority of them hit flat out. One rally went to 54 shots!

I hope Andy goes on now and wins a few more, to completely fulfill his enormous potential.

• Agree 1

Delighted for Murray. His behaviour was much improved and this new belief and mental strength should see him continue to win trophies at the highest level.

The final took a while to ignite, but when it did, it turned into a mammoth match, a battle of the gladiators with Murray having enough to see off a determined Jock.

Fan bloody tastic, the first set was critical and Andy dug deep to win the tie break, couldnae believe when he shot off 4 sets up in second but Jocky hit back and was always likely to win 3rd ,Andy losing 4th made it tense but he seemed to raise his game and Jocky looked on the ropes in the final set.Chuffed for Murray after all the nonsense he's had to put up with, hopefully get a Wimbledon title now and make the cynics and doubters choke on their strawberries and cream :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:

Edited to add, Lendl takes a huuuuuuge amount of credit for the win IMHO

Edited by Heilandee

Stayed up till the wee hours to watch it. Well worth it. Mammoth game one of the best in my lifetime and the scot came through. Brilliant.

Makes sport personality of the year very interesting this year with Murray, Chris hoy, bradley wiggins, and many others doing so well.

AMAZING performance of endurance by both players. Went at it hammer and tong for nigh on 5 hours. Incredible win For Andy. before Lendl came along....i thought Andy was always prettty generous with his returns for his opponent. But Now, he seems to be more ruthless, and makes his opponent work harder. I always felt if he could get one Major under his belt, then the rest could soon follow. That time could be now. He could be world No 1 by end of the campaign

The olympic games were a fantastic success with the home crowds roaring on team GB to Gold medal success. This included Andy Murray. Yesterday, a major event was organised to show off the medal winners to the public and to allow the athletes to say "thank you" to the crowds who had showed such fantastic support. And where was Murray? As if he hasn't already won enough money he swans off to the other side of the pond to play in some two bit tournament in the states in order to win yet more money. OK, so it's a so called "major", but there's 16 of those every four years and only one Olympic gold medal to be won. The man's a disgrace!

Oh! By the way, I should add a few :tongueincheek: :tongueincheek: :tongueincheek: just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious - and there's some that would!

Seriously though, I had a good feeling about this one. He showed some real mental toughness in earlier rounds and his chances were confirmed for me by a complete lack of Mahonio predicting a Murray triumph on this forum.

He is a seriously good player and has the opportunity to win a few more majors in the coming years. He has good variety in his game and has excellent tactical awareness and has toughened up physically and, more importantly, mentally. In short he is getting better whereas Federer is only going to go one way now. Djorkovic seems to have lost his edge a bit but it will return although Murray has a good record against him. Nadal is the player he really struggles against and it will be interesting to see whether he returns to his very best. There are no real up and coming stars but obviously a good few that are capable of beating anybody on their day.

Brilliant performance from Murray :notworthy: and in any other year he would be a shoe in for the BBC sports personality of the year. But this is an exceptional year for British sport and my vote is for Wiggins :notworthy: :notworthy:

Well done Andy Murray. This may sound odd but I don't think I've wanted something more for another person in my life. Not because he's Scottish or British but for him. The amount of hard work and dedication he's put in is an example to us all, he doesn't drink, he's not interested in publicity, he just wants to be the best he possibly can be at his profession. I can't even begin to understand the pressure he must have been under so this must be such relief to him, he can sleep at night and I truly believe he can go on and win 4 or 5 now and even have a shot at the number 1 ranking. Amazing.

Delighted for Murray. His behaviour was much improved and this new belief and mental strength should see him continue to win trophies at the highest level.

Exactly what I said after the game. Was never a fan of his because I always considered him a whiner who'd have all his excuses lined up...and himself beat...before he ever stepped on to the court for the bigger games. None of that from him in the last 3 or 4 bigger events this year and look at the difference it's made. Not only is he playing better, it's more enjoyable to watch.

• 9 months later...

Absolutely chuffed for him.  Richly deserved.  Another 'monkey' off his back and I am sure he will go on now to be a multiple slam, and Wimbledon, winner. Great that he can now give a giant 'up yours' to his, still many, detractors, including, I'm sad to say, some fellow Scots.

I'm already on my third celebratory dram!!

It's hard to think of a sportsman who has ever had so much pressure put on them to win something.  It is not just the 77 year wait to win something which is a national institution. it's the nature of the game where it is just you and another guy playing and the whole nation is watching everything you do - there is nobody to help you and nowhere to hide.  And the scoring system makes tennis such a tough sport.  It doesn't matter that you get yourself into a good lead, you still have to win the last game of the match.  Having the mental toughness to cope with all of that on top of having the skill to overcome the world's number one player is some achievement.  :notworthy:  

Could be a close call between Murray and Billy McKay for sports personality of the year. :tongueincheek:

Guest Mahonio

As a Tennis fan, i was over the moon for Andy.

He has suffered a lot of heartache in Finals before, so his appointment of Ivan Lendl was a masterstroke, remember, Ivan himself had lost a load of Slam Finals before his 1st so could relate to Andy and to Ivan's credit, he's made Murray a better player, the main change is Andy's temperament, he used to rant up at his box when things went wrong, now he just gets on with it.

Winning Olympic Gold was start for Andy and like others have said, he will win many more Slams.

Tide is changing as before, it was Federer- Nadal that were rivals for the Slams, now its the Djokovic- Murray rivalry, now, i'm not saying that Federer and Nadal are on way out, far from it, but Murray and Djokovic are going to be lifting Slams in near future.

What a battle!!! jeez that last game i could hardly bear the tension, must have been amazing to have been at Wimbledon and get the atmosphere.

WELL DONE ANDY MURRAY!!!!!!!!!

• Agree 1

Such a massive achievement, someone who has worked and worked to fulfil his dream, and then doubled the work to get their. To become a double champion now, in the era of the 3 best players ever is mindboggling. Andy has definately arrived at the top table, and the 4 of them will be their for a few years to come.

Personally I think the turning point was losing against Federer last year, I think it gave his so much determination not to feel like that again.

Well done again, so pleasing it was a Scot to win at the All England Tennis Club. If they are all so pro Union, why is it not the All British Tennis Club, And well done Alex Salmond for the wee flag, priceless.