Owain Tudur Jones

TopSix

i dont think we have seen him play his last caley game. even a few customers at my work who went to game says it should have just been a yellow. but he didnt lose his head this time he just accpeted it.

I am baffled by the assertion by anyone that this was a definite red card.

You can understand why perhaps it was deemed to more serious that a yellow card, however he probably took more of the ball and less of the player than Rosscoe took on his better tackles (ok, maybe I may have made the last bit up)

Must admit I was surprised to see the red card appear at the time but after seeing it since on the highlights it was definitely more a red than a yellow

Don't think it was a malicious challenge by any means but it was badly mistimed, reckless and dangerous so I think the ref called it right

Same could be said about Forans tackle which in my opinion was worse as he had no intention in playing the ball.I'm all for getting stuck in and showing passion but he crossed the line on Saturday I'm afraid and the lack of discipline is a concern especially from the clubs captain

Despite Butcher whinging in the press again I'm not surprised that there won't be an appeal regarding Jones although I'm pretty sure the Dons could be successful regarding the Anderson challenge as he definitely played the ball

Dougal

• Agree 1

I am a wee bit surprised that you did not "admire" the Foran tackle as it was the mark of experience. It was executed to be slightly late, avoiding any stud connection in a sliding movement and the well disguised lift of the leg at impact was more to force the opposition player in to avoidant action such as hurtling which could potentially have resulted in a non career threatening injury but more of a dead leg or a sprain etc.

I cant see the Anderson appeal being successful either because I thought it was another experienced attempt at a professional foul where some contact is made with the ball but the follow through is to ensure that there is no further chance of the tackled regaining their feet and in the hope of inducing a similar type of injury envisaged in the Foran example.

I can recall some "training" in that at the old Telford Street where the Neild brothers were the teachers !!

Must admit I was surprised to see the red card appear at the time but after seeing it since on the highlights it was definitely more a red than a yellow

Don't think it was a malicious challenge by any means but it was badly mistimed, reckless and dangerous so I think the ref called it right

Same could be said about Forans tackle which in my opinion was worse as he had no intention in playing the ball.I'm all for getting stuck in and showing passion but he crossed the line on Saturday I'm afraid and the lack of discipline is a concern especially from the clubs captain

Despite Butcher whinging in the press again I'm not surprised that there won't be an appeal regarding Jones although I'm pretty sure the Dons could be successful regarding the Anderson challenge as he definitely played the ball

Dougal

At times dougal you talk some utter p!sh. None of our players display a lack of discipline. What they do display is a passion and desire to win the ball. That may, at times, result in a mistimed tackle but the intent is to win the ball. Sadly the game is turning so namby pamby, and the refs so cr@p, that what should be a fairly physical sport is becoming more akin to ping-pong.

• Agree 1

If you watched the Real M v M city game tonight you would 'have seen some excellent refereeing, good meaty tackles being allowed. no mamby pamby stuff and no quarter given, bodies going flying and sprawling on the ground perfectly acceptable to the Ref. He kept the game flowing and never gave the aggrieved players time to fake injury.

Great game to watch, Made our OTJ and Foran look like cherubs!

• Agree 1

If you watched the Real M v M city game tonight you would 'have seen some excellent refereeing, good meaty tackles being allowed. no mamby pamby stuff and no quarter given, bodies going flying and sprawling on the ground perfectly acceptable to the Ref. He kept the game flowing and never gave the aggrieved players time to fake injury.

Great game to watch, Made our OTJ and Foran look like cherubs!

Nah, there was a comedy show on Alba I had to watch!

• Agree 5

In fairness to all the posters that agree with the red card they are probably more correct than wrong. It does show a lack of self discipline on Jones' behalf. He is a very experienced player who has twice in a handful of games left his team short on the day and will miss the next two games into the bargain. We are only six games into the season and he has already missed two games and part of another two and another two more to come. He has let his team mates down badly and I sincerely hope he is fined for his rashness. For a man that was previously unredcarded, (a new word)he is certainly making up for it now.

Dock his wages until he learns a little respect for the game and his boss, team mates and fans. His team mates are losing possible win bonuses as well, I doubt they are too happy despite what the media portrays.

Disagree tm4tj to my mind OTJ was playing his heart out, yes he did misstime his tackle but what he was doing was playing the way you and others have been shouting about, showing full commitment. He was just marginally slow and unlucky, he wanted to recover the ball not bring down the man.

If that is not showing respect for his team and team-mates what is? and why should he be unjustly punished in the manner you have declared, it is punishment enough to miss five games after such a long lay off through injury.

He obviously never learned his lesson from his previous rashness. I disagree about you disagreeing. We can't allow this trend to continue at this rate. Whatever the reason for his mistimed/rash/clumsy/indiscipline etc/etc/etc it has to stop now.

I like the way he plays when he is in control of himself. He can be an asset to the side, but he is no use to anyone sitting out games because he is banned.

Dock a months wages.

Sorry, but docking wages and/or hammering a player for what is essentially nothing more than an error is sheer folly. All you achieve from that is a culture whereby players aren't going to get stuck in or involved in the physical side of the game for fear of losing money as a result.

We just have to accept that these things happen from time to time and it's just unfortunate that OTJ's been on the receiving end of a couple of red cards.

• Agree 1

If he didn't go for it we'd be raging at him for not being committed enough. The poor guy couldn't win, it was a 50/50 he went for it, in the heat of the moment he mistimed his challenge and got sent off. He's suffering because of his earlier red this season imo, he'll have to watch himself now like Ian black does or like any other player that picks reds up. But we know he's not a dirty player.

Edited by lukemackay

I don't for a minute believe him to be a dirty player, but he needs to learn when and when not to try his luck. It's not something the club should be encouraging and there has to be a line that's not to be crossed otherwise we will end up with no players.

I doubt that burying our heads in the sand will achieve much.

Head held high tm4tj.

No disrespect but I do believe you have read this one wrong.

OTJ is going to be a great asset to this club he reads the game well, is committed and is very much a team player, obvious by his attitude towards the others.

Docking wages only serves to antagonise players it is not a positive deterrent.

If he didn't go for it we'd be raging at him for not being committed enough. The poor guy couldn't win, it was a 50/50 he went for it, in the heat of the moment he mistimed his challenge and got sent off. He's suffering because of his earlier red this season imo, he'll have to watch himself now like Ian black does or like any other player that picks reds up. But we know he's not a dirty player.

Ian Black? Is that the same Ian Black who has only ever had one red card in his career.............69 yellows though. Info courtesy of Soccerbase

I can't see how anyone can think it's anything other than a red. It's late, it's rash and it's a dangerous challenge. It was probably one of the easiest decisions the referee had to make all game.

I'll tell you as well, had an Aberdeen players tackled, say Conor Pepper like that and had only gotten a yellow card, we'd have been screaming about the injustice of it - and we'd be right.

I'll tell you as well, had an Aberdeen players tackled, say Conor Pepper like that and had only gotten a yellow card, we'd have been screaming about the injustice of it - and we'd be right.

Which is what makes following football such a great past time!!!!