FOUND HIM! Lionel Djebi-Zadi

Yngwie

After years of searching and worrying about the whereabouts of Lionel the ICT legend cult figure, I think I have tracked him down.

It appears that in 2011 he joined Saint Louisienne who play in the top flight in.....La Reunion (French island in the Indian Ocean). The team's wikipedia page shows a Lionel Zadi, now age 30, in the squad, along with a Serge Zadi who is his 37 year old brother. Was there not some suggestion years ago that Lionel wanted ICT to give his brother a trial?

Some cynics might say that wikipedia is not 100% reliable, but I think this you-tube video removes any doubt. First of all, look at who uploaded it. Then at the line-up, look at the guy in the green team standing next to the keeper.

And best of all, check out the spectacular winning goal at 1.50, I'm pretty sure that it was Lionel wearing number 28. That would certainly explain why he uploaded it.

PS Can someone please create an "I've got way too much time on my hands" smiley?

• Agree 3

Found this a minute ago. An interview with a "Lionel Zadi" who works in the Paris office of "Wynne Systems". Now I know some of you will be thinking that this is some other French bloke with a similar name and I did too...until I inspected the interview a bit more closely.

http://www.wynnesyst...011/292-zadi-vu

Have a look at these snippets about his hobbies -

Sports of course! Soccer (most popular sport in Europe) and rugby (it is like football)

And what about this! -

Sometimes, I like to just walk, without destination.

BINGO!

Edited by Renegade

Indeed it's him...I searched on the <<La Reunion Journal>> news website and found this interesting item...

"Ne plainte a été déposée au parquet de Paris au nom d’une association contre Djebi-Zadi pour "provocation à la haine" après la publication mercredi par l’hebdomadaire de caricatures du "Yngwie" au "CaleyThistleOnline". Lionel a-t-on appris de source judiciaire de "stalking and harassment".

DZ dit "get a life"...

Une enquête a par ailleurs été ouverte par le parquet sur le piratage dont a été victime le site internet du journal, a-t-on précisé de même avec le bomb-scare source."

• Agree 2

• 5 weeks later...

I continue to stalk the Lionel King, and would you believe it, after being off the radar for a couple of years he now turns up at another exotic club!

He is due to arrive in Indonesia tomorrow to sign for Sriwijaya. I like this (translated) quote from the club, and wonder if they really know what to expect : "Lionel was playing in France, one of the best competitions in the world." Well, technically, Reunion is part of France.

Another interesting point is that they operate a quota system for foreign players and he is replacing another ex-ICT player, Thierry Gatheussi, who is quoted in one article as saying LDZ is his best friend. Sriwijaya asked him all about LDZ and he (perhaps unsurprisingly) gave a glowing recommendation.

The two players evidently have the same agent, and Sriwijaya happily announce that the agent says "Lionel is better than Thierry".

Good luck to all concerned.

Incidentally, Sriwijaya have an international standard stadium with 40,000 capacity, and are Indonesia's reigning champions. However they have since lost the league's player of the season and top scorer, the legendary Keith Gumbs, a 40 year old from St Kitts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

******Zadi-Watch update 2013******

(Note that all references to him these days are in the name Lionel Zadi, he seems to have dropped the Djebi.)

After not getting hired a year ago in Indonesia, Lionel returned to La Reunion and played this time for AJ Petite-Ile.

He recently moved onto his 3rd club on the island, USS Tamponnaise (in a place called Tampon), so it seems fair to say his career is enjoying a successful period.

• Agree 2