What the ...

LanceShaw

this appeared in my twitter feed this after:

Top Six Next Year @TopSixNextYear

Still reckon ICTFC and Ross County should merge.

Who's daft idea is this?

Okey, we no top six, but we're no bottom either.

The Staggies are holding their own for a time.

What sort of nonsense is this? ... has any of this been bantered about?

Cheers all

Wee Gussie

• Agree 1

Sounds like a great idea to me, i can't see what the problem is. We've all seen how well the club(s) has/have progressed since the last merger, i think the next one is long overdue.

Ross and Inverness Caledonian Thistle County FC, i can't wait to start supporting them.

Obviously we would need to find a new venue to play our home games at to avoid any more unnecessary animosity between County and Inverness fans, maybe Clach Park?

• Agree 2

Sounds like a great idea to me, i can't see what the problem is. We've all seen how well the club(s) has/have progressed since the last merger, i think the next one is long overdue.

Ross and Inverness Caledonian Thistle County FC, i can't wait to start supporting them.

Obviously we would need to find a new venue to play our home games at to avoid any more unnecessary animosity between County and Inverness fans, maybe Clach Park?

The next big debate - surely it should be Inverness and Ross Caledonian Thistle County FC.

And the new stadium must be at Muir of Ord, a ground we've always done well at.

I feel another book from Mr Bannerman coming on.

• Agree 1

What a great thread! I have it on good authority that Derek Riordan wanted to sign for ICT and would only sign for County if there was a merged County ICT team. Further more, after recent discussions with Staggy4life, MacAngus and a clothes shop enthusiast from Easter Ross, the fans are desperate for a merger. Something to do with being cold and shadows.

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

Nah, the Tulloch Global Tore Stadium.

We would have to alter the name as neither would be happy if their name was not first.

Highand Alba Caledonian and Ross Thistle FC ( HACART FC )

Combining the best of both clubs, So county's defence, and our Mid field and Stikers ( cause it wouldnt be wise the other way round)

Following the example of several Danish teams who have amalgamated, who now strut their stuff in Europe. Nordsjealand a prime example in the Champions league this season. :crazy:

• Agree 2

Nah, the Tulloch Global Tore Stadium.

We would have to alter the name as neither would be happy if their name was not first.

Highand Alba Caledonian and Ross Thistle FC ( HACART FC )

Combining the best of both clubs, So county's defence, and our Mid field and Stikers ( cause it wouldnt be wise the other way round)

Following the example of several Danish teams who have amalgamated, who now strut their stuff in Europe. Nordsjealand a prime example in the Champions league this season. :crazy:

Might even get a top six finish! :lol:

• Agree 1

I've been found tae be the end of wind-up that happened in ma box. And here I'm reading for the fourth time about the merger between Caley and Inverness Jags and bad blood and high tension and me after a few lagers ... completely against ... It was a Caley Jags v Staggies match that led me tae Caley. It was a fantastic match. Early days, we can still make top six lads. Thank you for all your messages.

Cheers

Wee Gussie

edit: and my wean has no taste in his choice, but what can you expect, a third division side and they're still on telly every week!!!! How does that work?

Edited by LanceShaw

Both clubs were formed after mergers of local teams last century. Doubt there would be an issue with any further mergers in this century.

It should also be said that Inverness Thistle (not sure about Caledonian) was also an amalgamation in an unusual sort of way. They originally played at where Millburn Academy now stands before incorporating Crown FC into them and moving to Kingsmills Park. There was also a merger with Inverness Union as well at some point.

So it's not just Caley and Thistle that are now part of ICT. Crown and Union are in there somewhere too!

Edited by Renegade

In all seriousness, makes sound sense to me. Natural name for any merged club 'Highland'. The current location of the stadium would be ideal being literally the closest and most easily accessable location in Inverness to Ross-Shire.

Edited by Kingsmills

The whole thing is thought-provoking. I took a Canadian pal to an ICT v St Johnstone match in Perth and he was pretty shocked at the whole experience and the lack of value for the fare on offer. We discussed Scottish football at length after the match and it was interesting to hear his views, coming from a North American perspective. His thoughts included clubs from across Scotland merging - not just ICT and Ross County. He also suggested if we could get to a situation with 16 'big' clubs and a top tier - with no relegation - the standard of the 'product' would improve. The smaller clubs would be feeder clubs for the clubs in the top tier - much like the set up in the NHL and other American sports. He also suggested it would be good to have some clubs included from the north east and north west of England too. This isn't going to happen in the near future, but I think some aspects of this will happen at some point. As we all know, football is ruled my money, unfortunately.

A new club called "The Highlanders"? Football's a funny old game, isn't it.

I don't think many people would seriously favour a merger if it were to be put to a vote but it is an interesting subject to debate. The argument in favour is that a merged club would be more likely to attract more revenue (for a variety of reasons) and therefore could afford to attract and retain better players. Greater success on the park should result and that in terms should attract more fans etc. Bottom line here is that a merged Highland Hoofers would be expected to maintain itself as an established SPL team in the current league format with failure to be top 6 perhaps seen as a poor season and winning a cup or getting into Europe as a good season. This compares with our situation where relegation may be seen as failure and top 6 being seen as real success - County may expect a little less than us on a long term basis.

The down sides though are considerable. The reality is that there is loss of identity for any merged team and particularly if the stadium of the merged team is in another town. A home gate for the Hoofers would be unlikely to be a lot more than either club individually and income from away games would be barely affected at all. Income would be unlikely to be vastly different and the impact of this on team performance would be unlikely to lead to a significant improvement to seriously compete with the Old Firm. We would still have the hordes travelling down to Glasgow to watch the big teams and we will have gained very little.

I don't think the American model is relevant. The vast size of the USA and Canada makes the UK model impractical - they are different because they have to be.

I think that for most of us the motivation and pleasure of supporting a local team is to feel we belong in some way. Yes, we want to be entertained but we also want to dream. Supporters of small clubs enjoy success all the more when it comes both because it is unexpected and because we feel more a part of that success. It is important therefore to keep the club local and maintain the identity which allows us to belong.

Ross County have enjoyed success because they are in effect a merger of the input from small Ross-shire towns and ICT have been successful because of the merger of 2 clubs within the same town. Arguably a further merger could capture a Highland identity but for too many of the potential supporters it would lose the local identity. Highland Hoofers would be a merger too far in my view. Both Inverness and Ross-shire are big enough to sustain decent teams who can play at a decent level and whose supporters can dream of glory and who may just one day see that dream come true. I like it that way.