Rock gigs in Inverness

bauhaus

• 2 months later...

Great posts.Here are a few more,

Carl Perkins and Bo Didley at Eden Court 1978 (we went round back of Theatre to caravan met the legends and got their autographs.

The Pretenders at the Icerink 15 May 1981. (Got job for the day being a roadie, ran about town with one of their fixers picking up electrical stuff and their costumes.Met two of the band pottering about town not being bothered/recognized by anyone These two guys were dead within a couple of years due to Cocaine intolerance! Had a few pints, fell asleep in the sun round the back of the rink.Went to the Gig then it took us till about 3am to load up all the gear back into the lorriesIt was a hard day and made me realise I wouldn, t want to ever do that again!

Nbody has mentioned all the amazing gigs at The Muirton Motel I.e The Intrinsic intellectuals and The Tools.How about the incredible Julian Cope playing un amplified at the Ice rinkMore later......

Carl Perkins and Bo Didley at Eden Court 1978 (we went round back of Theatre to caravan met the legends and got their autographs.

Would that have been with Marty Robbins?  seem to remember my mum and grandad (a big country fan) taking me to see him and a few other 'legends' at EC when I was a kid ... although it may have been Robbins and Don Everly rather than CP/BD. 

Dont remember it (too young or not born a the time) but apparently Johnny Kidd played my living room in Dalneigh !!! He was good pals with Joe Moretti, a family friend of ours, especially with my grandad, and they had the odd 'session' (drink and music) which he recorded on reel-to-reel tape (sadly long gone)..

• 2 weeks later...

No mention of the Caledonian Ballroom then?

Hot Chocolate, Amen Corner with Andy Fairweather Low, The Tremeloes minus Brian Poole, Cozy Powell, Runrig, Jimmy James and the Vagabonds.....and heaps more.

Re. the Tremeloes. It was mid winter and the A9 was  almost closed with snow. They arrived very late and went straight on stage in their travelling clothes, big jackets and overcoats, unshaved and unkempt. They used the resident band's gear (New Safari Drinkhouse Band I believe) which they were of course not familiar with and certainly not of the quality they were accustomed to and proceeded to play a blinder. Great tight vocal harmonies too. 

They were never a favourite of mine, but I really admired them for rising to the occasion playing totally unprepared so as not to disappoint the punters.

• 3 months later...

anyone remember the boys club in planefield road?

Sleaz band....from dundee i think, used to play batman theme on siren as encore...brilliant guitarist

Agathas Moment...never quite made it but good all the same

Hot Cottage...local band, also did the telford street gig

Chris somebody and the Rebel rousers?

Another local band with Size mackay and Noddy mackenzie...can,t remember their name

Also seem to remember a gig in the argyle bar in grant street with reunion of above band

Those were the days...sex and d***** and rock and rolll

No mention of the Caledonian Ballroom then?

Hot Chocolate, Amen Corner with Andy Fairweather Low, The Tremeloes minus Brian Poole, Cozy Powell, Runrig, Jimmy James and the Vagabonds.....and heaps more.

Re. the Tremeloes. It was mid winter and the A9 was  almost closed with snow. They arrived very late and went straight on stage in their travelling clothes, big jackets and overcoats, unshaved and unkempt. They used the resident band's gear (New Safari Drinkhouse Band I believe) which they were of course not familiar with and certainly not of the quality they were accustomed to and proceeded to play a blinder. Great tight vocal harmonies too. 

They were never a favourite of mine, but I really admired them for rising to the occasion playing totally unprepared so as not to disappoint the punters.

chicory tip, blackfoot sue, suzi qautro(i think), gary glitter, glittermen without gg, sweet,

As his didgeridoo got bigger and bigger!!

It was actually very big, he needed to hold it with both hands just to keep it from collapsing onto the floor.  One lucky child then got invited onto the stage to have a shot at blowing it. 

• Agree 3

Sleaz band....from dundee i think, used to play batman theme on siren as encore...brilliant guitarist

Another local band with Size mackay and Noddy mackenzie...can,t remember their name

Also seem to remember a gig in the argyle bar in grant street with reunion of above band

"Another local band with Size mackay and Noddy mackenzie...can,t remember their name"   ....The Size Four.

"Also seem to remember a gig in the argyle bar in grant street with reunion of above band"    ....Nope, that was The Flock.

"Chris somebody and the Rebel rousers?" Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnfl3gNRoK8

Edited by rytenuff

Re Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers: They didn't play the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders War Memorial Boys Club (Planefield Road) I believe you're thinking of The Rebel Sounds from Keith with the late Benton Green on Lead Guitar.

"Another local band with Size mackay and Noddy mackenzie...can,t remember their name"   ....The Size Four.

"Also seem to remember a gig in the argyle bar in grant street with reunion of above band"    ....Nope, that was The Flock.

"Chris somebody and the Rebel rousers?" Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnfl3gNRoK8

Size 4....doesn,t seem familiar

It wasn,t the Flock either......Beans he played in the band too

checked out you tube link.....def not them at the boys club

Re Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers: They didn't play the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders War Memorial Boys Club (Planefield Road) I believe you're thinking of The Rebel Sounds from Keith with the late Benton Green on Lead Guitar.

I can,t remember for sure...maybe Cliff somebody and the Rebelion????

"Size 4....doesn't seem familiar"    If Size McKay was in the band, it was Size 4. Ian only ever played in that band except for one night in a scratch band with Roderick in the Muirtown Motel "Jeep Solid" and one night with the Caley Band filling in for Beenz when he was sick.

EDIT: Just remembered they were also called The Grope for a short while.  Maybe them?

Roderick played with many other bands including with some guys from Edinburgh.  May have been them you saw too.

"It wasn't the Flock either......."   http://www.rytenuff.com/flock/img004.jpg

Edited by rytenuff