Memories of Xmas in Sneck

Making slides on the road wi ma tackety boots on.

walking on the ice on loch na shanish (incorrect spelling I know but it sounded like that)

praying that Santa would bring me fitba boots

sneaking a swig of sherry when nobody was watching

playing goals and byes and three and in at the Bught park in all weathers.

Thanks Alex, I'll go for Loch na Seanais version in future easier to remember.

Anyone remember the time when hundreds of eels were laid out around the whole of the loch ? Which could have been likened to a mass exodus as all tails pointed towards the water. There were hundreds and all over 18'' long

I never did find out the cause or reason. It was in the fifties whilst the old croft house still existed there.

Any answers ??

Santa's grotto downstairs in Benzies - oh the excitement!!!

Looking out of the window at the huge snowflakes slowly floating past.

Making snowmen with carrot willy's to shock old mrs Gordon.. heh heh

Oh the Playhouse was another world - then it burnt down...

Sledging down the golf course at Craig Dunain.

Torvean used to be quite popular in my day for sledging. On The Quarry side of the course. How i remember the long trudge home....soaking wet and freezing. Also went sledging at Craig Dunain Too. That bunker was immense for daredevils

Edited by SMEE
  • Agree 1

The excitement when the new club book came in and ye went straight to the toys section.

Yer older mates thinking they're cool c**ts telling ye they're ain't no santy clause.

Everyone's hoose done up like Santa's grotto--no tasteful decs in the 70s.

Getting the Scotland home and away kits in 77, just in time fer Argentina.

Raspberry cordial as a treat fer the bairns.

Having absolutely no memories of Christmas dinner until ye were about 13 and ye had yer first few glasses of wine.

Mild Christmas Days, no white Christmases in the 70s, except maybe 77.

Yer parents no hitting the bevvy at Christmas, insisting it was "the bairns' time."

Yer parents absolutely rat arsed at New Year.

You absolutely rat arsed at New Year.

Waking up to a load of presents at the bottom of your bed on Christmas Day.

Ice on the inside of your bedroom window which you had to scratch off to see through.

Sledging down the golf course at Culcabock.

Big, big snowball fights at school.

In the sixties lots of white christmases - playing out in the snow until it was really dark.

Chilblains when you warmed your hands too quickly at the fire.

Sunday School Christmas Party - Santa gave me a big red and yellow plastic fire engine two years running as my Christmas present ( on the third year I refused to go up for the gift, I could see by the size of the wrapped box in his hands it was another f***ing fire engine. I went up later to say that I never got a gift. They dug me out a present from the gift bin. A bow and arrow!! Yeah!! The next year I got a bow and arrow from Santa :blink:.

Sunday School Nativity play - usually I was one of the moronic Shepherds ( the Sunday School swots got to be Mary and Joseph ). My sisters were always Angels. One year 50% of the Angels fainted half way through the nativity.

Carole Singing down our street. Lots of cake, hot chocolate and sweets galore.

School Christmas Party and dancing with the girl you fancied.

Cadbury Christmas Selection box to last you a few days.

Lots of kids annuals. Over the years I managed to collect all the Scottish Football Books - I had edition number 12 through to about edition number 20 or something. I managed to back collect edition number 1 through to number 11.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...