Posting Glitches

Scotty

We have just applied an upgrade of the board software from V3.3.4 to V3.4.0 and although everything went well and nothing broke completely, there have been a couple of glitches noticed (and reported to the software providers)

This note is just to let everyone know we are aware of them and are working on them .....

The glitches mainly affect the text editor in the posting area .... and this message from one of the mods to me sums it up fairly well .....

I've had some funny things happening today. Couldn't use smilies, and then when I clicked to "Post", my text disappeared and it told me there was nothing to post. So for a while I couldn't post at all. Anyone else have this? Clearing cache didn't help but changing theme to default sorted it.

I also thought that the "quote" function wasn't working because you don't see the "[quote...." bits at the start and end, but I've just tested it and it does still work despite that.

As noted in the mod post, the first thing to do is to clear your browser cache. If you dont know how to do that, then google is your friend: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=clear+browser+cache

We have cleared our forum cache and rebuilt it which may solve a few issues that some users experienced, but the second thing to try, if clearing your browser cache doesnt fix the issues is to change your 'skin' from the CTO Red/Blue to the default skin. The button to do that is a little hidden, but its down there at the bottom of the page next to the RSS symbol. I will be working on a new 3.4 version of the skin (hopefully today) and that will replace the current one once it is ready.

post-2-0-31764500-1354200742.png

If you are still experiencing problems after this, or think you found a new bug, please start a new thread in this forum where we can investigate and once fixed, we can mark it resolved (a new feature in this version of the software !).

Could you please remove my post in the Tokely thread as probably due to this glitch it just posted the post I quoted and not the response I made so it just looks silly, have cleared the cache so hopefully that will help now. Cheers.

I also have had disappearing  posts prior to completion and posting. You are just about to press "submit" and the whole thing disappears and the cat in the next house can hear the screams of frustration. Mostly because I never can understand why?

I thought it was a problem with my computer since  I have had problems retaining text anywhere I posted e,g. live mail etc. I never could understand why I would have a problem with Live Mail all the time and also on this site. Maybe it's something to do with I.Explorer 8 and 9 as well.

Nah, there were some teething problems since the recent upgrade, but scotty is dealing with it.

We have bigger issues in the editorial section at the moment and that is being investigated as well.

If anyone is still experiencing any problems please post them in website support so they can be resolved.

For me, the News pages are taking about twenty seconds to load compared to the forum pages loading instantly.

I also have had disappearing  posts prior to completion and posting. You are just about to press "submit" and the whole thing disappears and the cat in the next house can hear the screams of frustration. Mostly because I never can understand why?

I thought it was a problem with my computer since  I have had problems retaining text anywhere I posted e,g. live mail etc. I never could understand why I would have a problem with Live Mail all the time and also on this site. Maybe it's something to do with I.Explorer 8 and 9 as well.

The software on this site does not have the power to remove your text prior to you posting ... if it did, there would be other posters ahead of you in the queue to have that option applied !!! Suggest this continuing problem is browser related not site related.

I dont even have the option to change screen as when I log in it changes to light blue I tried to change theme last night as the colour went but Im stuck on option 3 with no option to change back

Not sure what you mean by option 3, please elaborate? Theme changer is at the bottom and selecting CTO 3.4 should work. If you mean you are stuck on mobile theme as 'option 3' then you should have the option at the bottom of the page to switch mobile theme off.

Tried this morning to post my prediction for today, cleared my cache and rebooted with no success. Had the choice of trying again or being late for work, so gave up. Just found this topic and changed theme. If this posts then I will have sorted my problem.

If you were previously on 3.2 theme then your cache wasnt cleared. A good indicator of 3.2 still being in use is that the background/sides of the site are dark blue whereas 3.4 is grey. You should only see 3.4, IPB Default and IPB Mobile as an option now. The IPB ones are supplied by vendor and always seem to work, even on new versions but 3.4 was newly created the other day as the previous 3.2 version stopped working properly.

Scotty   "...there would be other posters ahead of you in the queue to have that option applied." 

Ha! Ha!  Ha!   :laugh: So true.

Scarlet is a real varlet forsooth. Sometimes he's also a fool because he seems to have a tendency to be taken in by people he likes and admires. Too trusting, like. About the only saving grace he really has is that with him what you see is what you get.

Tell you what though ...post on here those that can't stand the nasty little man and I will make sure he debates them right  here out in the open. And maybe you could tell those nice posters who keep putting "likes" against his posts  to stop it on the grounds that it might go to his head and he may very well become plain unbearable for goodness sake; just like I find him!

Cheers

Daddy Pimpernell. :wave: 

Apparently it is a "known issue" which will be fixed in the next version of the content program. I asked when this would be, and the answer was "not sure". However, given that they already escalated the HTML/BBCode issue to the highest tier because of my complaint, and we now have this issue, and other customers have the same two issues, I can see a patch coming down the wire fairly quickly ......

As we have a paid contract for support, I am just going to keep lobbing the issues at them until they get pissed off enough to fix the damn thing ! Funnily enough, that actually mirrors one small piece of what I do in my day job as a Software Administrator !!!

Not sure if you are aware but users using Chrome cannot post.

I am writing this using FF, when I use Chrome, my default browser, I get the message "Your post is empty".

Cross browser joy!

Clear the chrome cache.  I use it as my default browser and it sorted things out for me.

at the very bottom of the page should be a button that says "full version" click it to go back to regular skin. you may need to choose CTO 3.4 after that.

If that doesnt work, let me know and I can reset it manually