English view of Inverness Caledonian Thistle

EvilHeat

Found an article on a Scottish Football Forum about Caley and their history. Thought you may be interested. http://footballphilo.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/from-highland-obscurity-to-possible-european-football-the-story-of-inverness-caledonian-thistle/

What a load of pathetic, patronising drivel!!

On the other hand if, as a community (and it does), Inverness promotes itself through the media of a mythical water creature, people irritating the hell out of the locals by incessantly playing the bagpipes on the High Street and the most misunderstood battle in British history, we deserve everything we get.

But please don't subscribe to the Anglophobia which apparently has been on the rise in Scotland in recent years. Central belt Scots are just as capable of tarring us with the Brigadoon brush which - unfortunately - we are very good at asking for.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Found an article on a Scottish Football Forum about Caley and their history. Thought you may be interested. http://footballphilo.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/from-highland-obscurity-to-possible-european-football-the-story-of-inverness-caledonian-thistle/

'Found' or 'Wrote'...............?

• Agree 2

What continues to irk me  is the frequent reference by such scribes to Caledonian Thistle's heritage which invariably overlooks the facts that both Caley and Thistle were formed in 1875 or thereabouts.

Rarely do you see comments such as " Caledonian F C and Thistle F C were both formed in the late 1800's and finally merged in.....to enable Inverness as a city to enter the Scottish Football leagues.........

It's not as if both teams are sprogs and only emerged from the twilight at the end of the 20th century. I was watching Caley and Thistle in my early teens and getting the message when two thirds of our lovely  posters were not even ready to come back to this earth in re-incarnated form. :wink:

And that is where the love and the fascination  really started and cannot be shaken by any scribe, no matter how well-meaning, and patronising he or she may be....roots, chums, roots. which are going to  supprot this team for a long time yet. :clapoverhead:

What a load of pathetic, patronising drivel!!

On the other hand if, as a community (and it does), Inverness promotes itself through the media of a mythical water creature, people irritating the hell out of the locals by incessantly playing the bagpipes on the High Street and the most misunderstood battle in British history, we deserve everything we get.

But please don't subscribe to the Anglophobia which apparently has been on the rise in Scotland in recent years. Central belt Scots are just as capable of tarring us with the Brigadoon brush which - unfortunately - we are very good at asking for.

That first line was well said Charles....................but then you spoil it with your next comments. We all know your pro-British sentiments and your hatred for anything traditionally Scottish but is it really necessary to get them in on a thread that is being critical of some persons fairy stories. For all we know the writer could be Scottish, indeed could be Invernessian.

My immediate reaction on reading it was how does he/she define "thinking"  as in "the thinking fan's football website". Doesn't thinking presuppose the ability to think outside the small restricted/biased  box in which you live most of your life?

Have to say to Charles Bannerman, because I have a cannie or two taken, and my keyboard fingers aren't quite under my control.....when you read the likes of that...why would that not engender a smidgeon of anglophobia against the person who wrote it...he/she certainly seems condescending enough to warrant it.

But please don't subscribe to the Anglophobia which apparently has been on the rise in Scotland in recent years.

Tut-tut. Evidence please.

There you go.....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/fear-anti-english-racism-on-rise.19649937

Four days ago in The Herald. But let's not allow things to drift off topic. The point I was making was that people from both England and central Scotland tend to think and write patronising drivel about Highlanders and The Highlands, but to some extent we ask for it through the manner in which we caricature ourselves.

A fair number of people down here I deal with everyday assume Scotland is a third world country and its football clubs play on public parks.

Not many of them have any interest or knowledge in North/South, East/West, Emerald/Orange etc etc divides, most of them would describe anywhere in Scotland as a scene from Take the High Road, not just the Highlands.

In Scotland, the self loathing outlook from the likes of Bannerman is as parochial and out of touch as any face painted tartan army pleb. I consider everybody with pro or anti patriotic views as dinosaurs.

There's only one barrier between people on this planet and it isn't a border, a bridge or a flag, its economic. I have more in common with a working class Iraqi, Pole or an Nigerian than I do the white British millionaires living down the street from me.

Unless you can react to the linked article as just the misinformed ignorrant view of one man regardless of nationality, as Kingsmills has said, then you'll spend your whole life fighting battles that don't exist.

• Agree 5

What Clacher say's.

Mr Bannerman would like us to read that article with a pressmans eye. He'd like us to read this

"There have also been reports of racial abuse of English people living and working in Scotland. Certainly more analysis needs to be carried out on the reason for the increase."

But not actually see this

Mr Pringle added: "This is not to say the majority of Scots are racially intolerant – on the contrary. Unfortunately, it's the age-old case of the minority giving the majority a bad name."

Yes there are more incidents of abuse in Scotland, both against English people and every other nationality living in our country. Why? Simply because a minority are intolerant of almost anybody. Ask the writer of the article to go through court records and identify each case thats come before a sheriff and I'll bet that there are many of those who have been pulled out of football crowds because the nation has decided that it wont put up with such any more. These are the few people who think that because using certain language or chanting certain slogans should carry on because its tradition. The minority of OF fans who still persist in their songs regardless of outcome also comes into that category. Where before they'd likely get chucked out of the ground now they are getting charged and convicted.

From now until the referendum we will get many more articles like the herald one trying to convince the world that the ordinary law abiding Scot is a thief or a racist or a bigot or any other such thing and the Charles Bannermans of the world will take it all in and peddle it like its fact.

This thread will now go to serious topics and all may debate further without spoiling the ICT forum.

But please don't subscribe to the Anglophobia which apparently has been on the rise in Scotland in recent years.

Tut-tut. Evidence please.

There you go.....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/fear-anti-english-racism-on-rise.19649937

Four days ago in The Herald. But let's not allow things to drift off topic. The point I was making was that people from both England and central Scotland tend to think and write patronising drivel about Highlanders and The Highlands, but to some extent we ask for it through the manner in which we caricature ourselves.

What a lot of bullshit Charles.

Who are the "experts"?

The main stream media in Scotland have a pro Union agenda for some reason and slip in snippets like this several times a day. It's tedious and only playing into YesScotland's hands. Tell us what to think and we'll wonder why and spend more time thinking for ourselves. Try dumbing us down like you do in your day job and it'll backfire.

• Agree 2

Don't know what all the fuss is over the article, reasonable effort.

As Robbie Burns once said to me....... if we could see ourselves as others see us

Unless there's been some editing going on, I don't see a lot there that can be described as patronising. And it definitely is as others see us........

I would make a couple of points related to the football though (yes!!!!!).

The SPL is a poor standard, but you only need to look at some of TB's signings to realise it's not that bad. Eagle, Stratford, anyone?

Even people like Tansey who made a lot of appearances but looked like a headless chicken if you ask me. A poor man's Russell Duncan. Gary Warren coming from Newport is not typical. He gave up a teaching career to go full time so would probably have gone upwards anyway.

It seems to me that only players who have at least a decent bit of league one experience can hack the SPL. People from the subs bench or league two seldom have it but we're forever told our league is no better than league two. It's usually more about wages than ability. Which brings me to.....

TV has contributed more than anything else to the sinking of standards in small nations. I could see it coming about 20 years ago when I first ventured over the pond and took in some baseball. Below the elite major league there is nothing but minor league baseball playing to about 100 fans.

Fast forward to the Champions' League and the Carling Premiership. The elite get stronger and the rest get weaker. Diddy clubs such as reading and qpr turn over about twice as much as the OF because of the TV money. Chelsea are not a big club, just a rich club.

Before the coming of wall-to-wall TV, English clubs actually had to send a full strength team out to play Scots clubs, even in friendlies, because they might lose otherwise. Up till about the 1980s Scotland actually had more international wins head to head than England.

Sport and satellite TV is part of the free market of course, so no use whingeing about it: however the good old BBC is public service, yet they still pay astronomical sums for highlights on MOTD while they do not support the SPL in the same proportion.

• Agree 2

"There have also been reports of racial abuse of English people living and working in Scotland.

One other point from the above statement. Having read the Herald article again. Knowhere is there anything to suggest this racial abuse against the English has been carried out by a Scot. Just that there have been reports of racial abuse of English people. They are many nationalities living in this country but the typical press, and Mr Bannerman, will spin anything to make a story sensational.

• Agree 1